Watering with ice cubes???

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is my first winter, so please excuse any nonsensical thoughts, misconceptions, or just plain ignorance. :)

I read a lot of posts and blogs in preparation for winter. In one of my readings it said that you should never water a frozen tree or water when the temperature is below freezing. (Please let me know if this is not true)

That being said, it's been below freezing while I'm home (morning and night. I work during the day) it's also been very dry where I live in Tennessee. So I have come up with a potential solution. What if I were to cover the top of the soil in ice cubes? That way when it gets above freezing the ice melts and waters the tree??

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as you're not talking about your tropicals, that solution should work well. I usually cover my hardy plants in snow whenever possible, even when they're in the garage.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I've done home and garden shows where there are lots of potted plants, and they don't want messes with watering, this is exactly what they do. Overnight they cover the soil with cubes. Should work just fine for you. I've done it with snow, really no difference.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not good for tropicals indoor? Water too cold? So dry in the house with heat on and hard to keep them wet enough. Sounds like a good idea to me. My sis waters her tropical flowers that way but shes in Florida.

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maybe some confusion here. I'm only talking about my trees that are outside. I'm good on the indoor tropical front, at least for now.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not good for tropicals indoor? Water too cold? So dry in the house with heat on and hard to keep them wet enough.

Tropical + Ice = :eek: Indoors... We have well over 40 various plants indoors in the plant room. I water most of them with room temperature tap water. Some I use distilled water on as they require misting also at room temperature. The room is kept warm and humid but there are also some plants that do just fine in 40 percent humidity in the dining area. There are a few in the room(like a banana) that I water until the stone filled tray is close to full and it usually disappears in 2 days - point is they don't need WET just never dried out with(of course) some exceptions. Either way cold water produced by Ice is pushing it indoors. I suspect Ficus especially would go into leaf drop rather quickly.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm only talking about my trees that are outside. I'm done good on the indoor tropical front, at least for now.

That will work good for you but I would suggest morning Ice application for a variety of reasons. The main one is I suspect they will be coldest in the morning.

Grimmy

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yes, ice cubes work great. Even better is snow. Just put snow on top of the pots. If everything melts then go buy ice.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have piled snow on mine for a couple of years now while I over winter them in my garage. Neighbors think I am nuts seeing me tossing shovel-fulls of snow INTO my garage. It acts as both an insulator and slow release watering method.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jordy,

I am over the mountains in NC. I find that one watering a week is sufficient this time of year for just about everything that is outside, especially if they are in morning shade and out of the wind. One good rain a week usually suffices, if not I make sure I water when I think the pots are no longer frozen on Saturday or Sunday, or in the dark if they are dry and temps are going to plunge. I try to water 24 hours before the plunge.

Hope that makes sense/helps.

Regards,
Martin

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm part of the group, I use snow once winter is in full swing. maybe I'll incorporate ice cubes too

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What if I were to cover the top of the soil in ice cubes? That way when it gets above freezing the ice melts and waters the tree??

Works perfectly. I used to overwinter my trees in an unheated garage in Chicago, and I used snow balls, but the concept is the same. Just be prepared for a little run-off if you have an unusually warm day.

Top Bottom