Weeping Ryusen Maple...winter was harsh

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How tall does a regular Japanese Maple get?

However large you let it - I have a JM at this new place 25 foot or so... Beautiful red, only tree or shrub here that seems very healthy.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah...no place for such a tree in the yard. Husband wishes to replace this with another weeping ryusen.

I would try transplanting this one somewhere else and let it go to see what happens. If the ryusen can grow on it's own layer it and you have a weeping style maple bonsai. I know you're a sucker for weeping trees from previous posts. Also I can't really see you tossing a tree onto the burn pile if it may make it. You just don't seem as ruthless a person as some. Besides this way you have something to experiment on and learn something about maples in the process.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When will the landscape person get there? Reason I ask is sooner is better in this situation.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When will the landscape person get there? Reason I ask is sooner is better in this situation.

Grimmy

Currently playing phone tag it seems. His cell doesn't work at the job site and I seem to be out when he returns my calls. Working on it. Husband is just as satisfied replacing it. :confused: I'm not there yet.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Currently playing phone tag it seems. His cell doesn't work at the job site and I seem to be out when he returns my calls. Working on it. Husband is just as satisfied replacing it. :confused: I'm not there yet.

There's honestly nothing the nurseryman can do for the tree. I suspect you lost the grafted portion and if he needs to come out to confirm the loss in order for you to have it replaced, so be it. If you choose to keep the rootstock to grow on, it'll be a snap to transplant because the root ball will likely be very easy to collect and it only needs to support a tiny amount of foliage.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's honestly nothing the nurseryman can do for the tree. I suspect you lost the grafted portion and if he needs to come out to confirm the loss in order for you to have it replaced, so be it. If you choose to keep the rootstock to grow on, it'll be a snap to transplant because the root ball will likely be very easy to collect and it only needs to support a tiny amount of foliage.

This was my husbands thoughts as well...though...the soil now is contaminated correct? So I can't plant another one in its place for sometime. :confused:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting read Grimmy...I will look more into that as well. The husband wants to just replace it. It was his favorite in the hard...and he can't stand looking at it. But, I would prefer to try and save it if possible.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This was my husbands thoughts as well...though...the soil now is contaminated correct? So I can't plant another one in its place for sometime. :confused:

Without having the tree in front of me, I can only guess...but I suspect your tree didn't suffer from disease but from extreme cold that killed the graft but not the root stock...total conjecture, though. My understanding of V. wilt (assuming that's what you're concerned about) is that it's already pretty much everywhere already...and the rootstock is growing well,right? I'd plant in the same spot again...maybe pick a tree that's more cold hardy...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Without having the tree in front of me, I can only guess...but I suspect your tree didn't suffer from disease but from extreme cold that killed the graft but not the root stock...total conjecture, though. My understanding of V. wilt (assuming that's what you're concerned about) is that it's already pretty much everywhere already...and the rootstock is growing well,right? I'd plant in the same spot again...maybe pick a tree that's more cold hardy...

Thanks...just an extremely harsh winter with -20's without windchill factored in. He is to come out next week. But...figures it's from what he's seeing around. Is from the harsh winter and damage from that. He is seeing conifer that didn't make it. That he's never seen "not" make it through a winter in our zones.

The base of the graft is really popping out leaves...so it's not effected by what happened above in the least.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks...just an extremely harsh winter with -20's without windchill factored in. He is to come out next week. But...figures it's from what he's seeing around. Is from the harsh winter and damage from that. He is seeing conifer that didn't make it. That he's never seen "not" make it through a winter in our zones.

The base of the graft is really popping out leaves...so it's not effected by what happened above in the least.

It was so harsh this winter that a lot of landscape trees didn't make it. The most noteworthy being a ton of Alberta spruce in yards that are now orange. And yews also. Brrrr.

Top Bottom