What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Frozentreehugger
Thought I'd take a couple of pics side by side comparing the Primo thuja, and the Sekka.
I'm done with the Sekka. They don't do well for me. But their foliage is actually a little tighter, and has a bluish underside striping with darker mature foliage than the primo.20230518_191921.jpg20230518_192815.jpg
1st pic Primo on the bottom compared to the Sekka on top.
Their foliage are very similar
2nd pic both Sekka on right.
Maybe less light needed? IDK but not my cup of tea here.
They're next to my tsuga though, so kinda bummed out with my care, they are. Shame too, the one on the left, rectangle pot, uncovered, has the best nebari of all my trees.
The 2 smaller Primo I have both put on an ugly Winter coat, but snapped right back in Spring.
Thought they were dying because the other one did not display the same off brownish colour, but all good now.
Looking fwd to seeing yours progress.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Frozentreehugger
Thought I'd take a couple of pics side by side comparing the Primo thuja, and the Sekka.
I'm done with the Sekka. They don't do well for me. But their foliage is actually a little tighter, and has a bluish underside striping with darker mature foliage than the primo.View attachment 489131View attachment 489132
1st pic Primo on the bottom compared to the Sekka on top.
Their foliage are very similar
2nd pic both Sekka on right.
Maybe less light needed? IDK but not my cup of tea here.
They're next to my tsuga though, so kinda bummed out with my care, they are. Shame too, the one on the left, rectangle pot, uncovered, has the best nebari of all my trees.
The 2 smaller Primo I have both put on an ugly Winter coat, but snapped right back in Spring.
Thought they were dying because the other one did not display the same off brownish colour, but all good now.
Looking fwd to seeing yours progress.
Thanks I don’t have Hinoki . As I said in the past . Very wind tortured Yamadori thuja . Has very tight foliage . Impossible to duplicate . They resort to regular foliage . In better conditions . Pinching makes it better but only some . Primo is the best I have seen . That is my main interest . And all thuja gets ugly in winter . Wild collected even worse . My yamabeaver looks almost dead . But she sure loves spring

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Made in China?
Every time I see something with Japan, Germany technology etc., I find it to be actually made in China.
The best chainsaws . We’re built in North America and or Northern Europe , especially with European 2 stroke engine tech . First to fall was North America leaving European saw companies . Now even all if them . Have moved to China assembled China built parts . ( some still in Europe for there too if the line . Pro saws , the last hold out I liked was .Dolmar ( German based inventor of the gas engine saw ) you still could get a European parts assembled German . Simple quality saw . They recently partnered with Makita. For electric tech now I’m not sure what you get . It’s looking like the simplicity of electric battery saw is the way of the present and future . They
At least are reliable which is more than I can say about Chinese junk engines , rant over for now

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The best chainsaws . We’re built in North America and or Northern Europe , especially with European 2 stroke engine tech . First to fall was North America leaving European saw companies . Now even all if them . Have moved to China assembled China built parts . ( some still in Europe for there too if the line . Pro saws , the last hold out I liked was .Dolmar ( German based inventor of the gas engine saw ) you still could get a European parts assembled German . Simple quality saw . They recently partnered with Makita. For electric tech now I’m not sure what you get . It’s looking like the simplicity of electric battery saw is the way of the present and future . They
At least are reliable which is more than I can say about Chinese junk engines , rant over for now
I have a Stihl 029 that's over 30 yrs old, and a 1972 or 76 Homelite with 32 or 34 inch bar.
It has no compression release and at a stated 5 HP!! it is a bear to start. Has the red body.
The older Stihls are preferred by the dealers and mechanics here with all the regulatory impositions. Really like my old Stihl, very dependable and I won't loan it out.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What I need to buy is a pair of knob cutters.
Almost all bonsai tools are optional on the hobbyist level, but a decent pair of concave cutters is the one you really can't get around. There's nothing you'll find at the hardware store that can really replace them, unlike pretty much everything else.
When you're ready, get the second or third cheapest ones. I recommend stainless because of the lower maintenance. They'll be stout enough to handle your learning curve without you getting too angry if you ruin them somehow.
I went with Stone Lantern last summer, and am very pleased so far. Haven't heard anything bad about the Wasakara advertised here on BNut, and buying through that link supports Greg and the site. Don't think they do stainless, though.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Stihl 029 that's over 30 yrs old, and a 1972 or 76 Homelite with 32 or 34 inch bar.
It has no compression release and at a stated 5 HP!! it is a bear to start. Has the red body.
The older Stihls are preferred by the dealers and mechanics here with all the regulatory impositions. Really like my old Stihl, very dependable and I won't loan it out.
Keep both . I have a 73 cc home lite needs a rebuild . Only a 16 inch bar but it’s a beast No idea of the age . Got it at a estate farm sale . 30 years old at least .

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I already posted this in the "One of my Favorite Pots" thread but I thought more people would see what a great job @Colorado did on this pot in this thread. Part purchase, part gift because he wouldn't let me pay much for it. I love it. TJ pot.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I already posted this in the "One of my Favorite Pots" thread but I thought more people would see what a great job @Colorado did on this pot in this thread. Part purchase, part gift because he wouldn't let me pay much for it. I love it. View attachment 489653
When he gets to production, one of his is on my list.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I already posted this in the "One of my Favorite Pots" thread but I thought more people would see what a great job @Colorado did on this pot in this thread. Part purchase, part gift because he wouldn't let me pay much for it. I love it. View attachment 489653

I am glad that you like it, Carol! 😃

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Aha!
This below is a good one!
Bought myself a beautiful trimming scissors from Masakuni san, the famous n#1 shears.
It will replace an old chinese one - by Tian Bonsai - used for general and heavy pruning. They have asked for 30 days to deliver it in Japan - and from there a friend brought it to Brazil.
First test showed an incredible sharpness of the blades, really impressive.
All in all I am very happy!

I also like the box, very Japanese old school !
20230522_100232.jpg

The blade, nice steel.
20230522_100613.jpg

The box, very stylish
20230522_100727.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't tell the wife, but I bought some animal skulls for bonsai related testing.View attachment 489854
I was just talking about this kind of stuff this morning with a friend.
I have a coyote skull I found while hiking last year that I want to preserve and do something with.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got the idea from a friend as well sometime ago. I just decided to trial it myself. I got these from The Bone Room per the recommendation from said friend.

I'm not sure how the skulls will hold up to bonsai culture, but this will be a trial of sorts. Best case, the bone stays relatively the same for quite a few years. Expected case, the bone starts splintering from the exposure to the elements and the roots doing what roots do best in porous substances.

Worst case, it doesn't last at all due to various reasons. Then I'll have to look and see how the resin replicas hold up.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just talking about this kind of stuff this morning with a friend.
I have a coyote skull I found while hiking last year that I want to preserve and do something with.
Don't tell the wife, but I bought some animal skulls for bonsai related testing.
I got the idea from a friend as well sometime ago. I just decided to trial it myself. I got these from The Bone Room per the recommendation from said friend.

I'm not sure how the skulls will hold up to bonsai culture, but this will be a trial of sorts. Best case, the bone stays relatively the same for quite a few years. Expected case, the bone starts splintering from the exposure to the elements and the roots doing what roots do best in porous substances.

Worst case, it doesn't last at all due to various reasons. Then I'll have to look and see how the resin replicas hold up.
Check the work by Lenz.
As a starting inspiration point:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I'm looking into ways to treat them to hold up. Mine is already pretty weathered, but that's part of its character I think. Maybe soaking in resin of some sort?

Check the work by Lenz.
As a starting inspiration point:
LoL That's exactly what I told my friend.
She doesn't even do bonsai, but she was still blown away by Lenz's work.

Top Bottom