What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm looking into ways to treat them to hold up. Mine is already pretty weathered, but that's part of its character I think. Maybe soaking in resin of some sort?

LoL That's exactly what I told my friend.
She doesn't even do bonsai, but she was still blown away by Lenz's work.
BOB-Bonsai over bone... opens up a lot of possibilities! The only issue with a clear epoxy is that a lot don't hold up well to the UV rays. I think they have marine grade epoxies for like boat exteriors, maybe something like that would work. The only catch-22 is that you would then have a non-porous completely smooth skull so the roots probably wouldn't grab as well.

I guess you'd have to weigh the pros and cons. It sure would suck to get a nice tree going and 5 years down the road the skull just shatters and crumbles.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BOB-Bonsai over bone... opens up a lot of possibilities! The only issue with a clear epoxy is that a lot don't hold up well to the UV rays. I think they have marine grade epoxies for like boat exteriors, maybe something like that would work. The only catch-22 is that you would then have a non-porous completely smooth skull so the roots probably wouldn't grab as well.

I guess you'd have to weigh the pros and cons. It sure would suck to get a nice tree going and 5 years down the road the skull just shatters and crumbles.
Why I haven't tried to start anything yet.

I wonder if wood hardener or similar would work? Treat it like deadwood?
Probably not. Need to actually get around to serious research.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Why I haven't tried to start anything yet.

I wonder if wood hardener or similar would work? Treat it like deadwood?
Probably not. Need to actually get around to serious research.
I just did a quick google search on it and someone recommended a few coats of a polyurethane spray.... That might work, keep some of the texture of the bone but provide some protection from the elements. Let us know how it goes!

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I know I know I know jade are not "great" candidates for bonsai. Reminded myself over and over after seeing these come in the other day. But for 15 bucks, and with a trunk like this, I finally caved. 20230527_180936.jpg

Sort of a no-brainer when it comes to the initial cuts but heres my mockup anyway.

20230527_180936.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man I know I know I know jade are not "great" candidates for bonsai. Reminded myself over and over after seeing these come in the other day. But for 15 bucks, and with a trunk like this, I finally caved.

Sort of a no-brainer when it comes to the initial cuts but heres my mockup anyway.
Do what you like. Jade might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't drink tea. :)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man I know I know I know jade are not "great" candidates for bonsai. Reminded myself over and over after seeing these come in the other day. But for 15 bucks, and with a trunk like this, I finally caved. View attachment 490604

View attachment 490605
Actually I kinda like the twin trunk look.
I'd just trim the secondary branches to start pads.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do what you like. Jade might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't drink tea. :)

Im with you on this MTM. Jade is a pet favorite of mine. But I figured if I buy any more material this year, it ought to be out of my comfort zone. Still I am very pleased with the purchase. Hard week and it ended up being a good piece of retail therapy.
My Crassula collection now: 20230527_200921.jpg
Actually I kinda like the twin trunk look.
I'd just trim the secondary branches to start pads.
I'm still considering it. I find the two limbs on the left to be a bit too tubular, they lack character. I bought this one in particular because my envisioned trunk line had a lot more taper and movement than you would normally get with a thick trunk for this species.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im with you on this MTM. Jade is a pet favorite of mine. But I figured if I buy any more material this year, it ought to be out of my comfort zone. Still I am very pleased with the purchase. Hard week and it ended up being a good piece of retail therapy.
My Crassula collection now: View attachment 490619

I'm still considering it. I find the two limbs on the left to be a bit too tubular, they lack character. I bought this one in particular because my envisioned trunk line had a lot more taper and movement than you would normally get with a thick trunk for this species.
Ah. I think I see what you're talking about after a closer look.
I think you can still make the twin trunk work. Just cut the smaller one back to the first branch or there abouts. With your main trunk something similar, but just enough to eliminate the presant vertical leader.

Just my thoughts. Your tree in the end.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I know I know I know jade are not "great" candidates for bonsai. Reminded myself over and over after seeing these come in the other day. But for 15 bucks, and with a trunk like this, I finally caved. View attachment 490604

View attachment 490605
Looks around at the 13 different jade varieties in my home (none of which are common types). Not really a bonsai but they are always a nice quick, easy and low maintenance and hardy bonsai alternative/pseudo bonsai. Why not? So little effort for some nice aesthetics.

Perplexody

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And finally a small stone lantern for the garden. Needs patina, wabi sabi but it will get there.
View attachment 486652

View attachment 486654
Where do you get a gorgeous small lantern like that. Especially one that's actually stone and bench sized. The wood makes it really lovely too

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Where do you get a gorgeous small lantern like that. Especially one that's actually stone and bench sized. The wood makes it really lovely too
And it works actually. Turns on and off automatically, and it is solar powered.

Top Bottom