What fungicide do you use?

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
As far as I know Florida only reaches 11a and that would be the keys. I am in zone 10a, keep everything outside and have zero fungal problems.
Correction 10a/b

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What dosage of infuse do people use for their pots? I think I read the label and didn't see instructions for potted plants.

Depends on the size of the pot. I use a tablespoon or two for the largest pots and work my way down with size.
My smallest pots only get a about a teaspoon or two

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Depends on the size of the pot. I use a tablespoon or two for the largest pots and work my way down with size.
My smallest pots only get a about a teaspoon or two
Thanks! If these are bonsai pots, I'm guessing the largest are around 1-2 gallons of soil?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks! If these are bonsai pots, I'm guessing the largest are around 1-2 gallons of soil?

The largest pots I use are anderson flats (16 inches x 16 inches) or similar to that in dimensions (20x12; 17x10 etc).
You're looking more at surface area rather than volume IMO when it comes to application.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Bayer in the bottom picture is a systemic insecticide not a fungicide. The rest are fungicides used for specific problems or as preventative measures in my nursery.

IMG_1166.JPGIMG_1167.JPGIMG_1165.JPG

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I'm just getting into preventative maintenance this year so this is of interest. I picked up some Cleary's 3336 for foliar based on the Bjorn video on Bonsai U. The Infuse I ordered came in liquid form, I thought I had ordered the systemic.

Is it not a good idea to apply the systemic later in the season?
Both infuse variants are systemic. The granular is Thiophonate Methyl based, the spray is Propocanizole based. Both treat anthracnose and many other funguses. I can’t get a Thiophonate Methyl based granular in South Africa, so will use a local Propocanizole systemic in its place.
Bjorn actually made a mistake in his pdf by listing the granular infuse as being Propocanizole based, it should have been Thiophonate Methyl. He uses both the granular and spray in his seasonal regime

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Both infuse variants are systemic. The granular is Thiophonate Methyl based, the spray is Propocanizole based. Both treat anthracnose and many other funguses. I can’t get a Thiophonate Methyl based granular in South Africa, so will use a local Propocanizole systemic in its place.
Bjorn actually made a mistake in his pdf by listing the granular infuse as being Propocanizole based, it should have been Thiophonate Methyl. He uses both the granular and spray in his seasonal regime

Ahhhh that’s probably why I ended up with the liquid then, i would have searched the chemical name probably! Someonevv be else I talk to had mentioned Propocanizole so i probably searched for that and grabbed the Infuse based on what Bjorn had said.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't recall it being said in this thread, but its very important to cycle fungicides lest you breed a super-fungus. Make sure to use fungicides with different modes of action than previously applied. A rotation of 3 modes of action is better than 2. (Hence, why some of us have so many different fungicides at our disposal.)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't recall it being said in this thread, but its very important to cycle fungicides lest you breed a super-fungus. Make sure to use fungicides with different modes of action than previously applied. A rotation of 3 modes of action is better than 2. (Hence, why some of us have so many different fungicides at our disposal.)

I would like to see the data on how long it takes this effect that we know as true to not continue.

Is it 3 cycles or does that just put it outside of our "lifetimes", or awareness?

Wouldn't that put our beloved generational gifts at risk?
(Of course we are speaking of the trees and our children)

What of that fungus that gets the overspray of each, just enough to become, what I would guess scientifically to be a super dooper fungus?

The trees around us aren't being fertilized. No one is growing them to look perfect for artistic reasons. If they are near our civilization they are growing in depleted and, as this thread proves, highly toxic soil. Wholly Unbalanced.

We get the opportunity to create perfect harmony within our tiny ecosystems. This works perfectly to keep trees a notch above susceptible.

I have had many instances of "fungal imbalance", each time cured before any substantial damage. Sometimes it has been root problems, sometimes it has been lack of nutrients.

It has never been because I forgot to "spray my prophylactic".

There is always another cause.

Save your money and spend it on education and Fertilizer.

I heard yesterday eating Mango's gets you higher on Weed.

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would like to see the data on how long it takes this effect that we know as true to not continue.

Is it 3 cycles or does that just put it outside of our "lifetimes", or awareness?

Wouldn't that put our beloved generational gifts at risk?
(Of course we are speaking of the trees and our children)

What of that fungus that gets the overspray of each, just enough to become, what I would guess scientifically to be a super dooper fungus?

The trees around us aren't being fertilized. No one is growing them to look perfect for artistic reasons. If they are near our civilization they are growing in depleted and, as this thread proves, highly toxic soil. Wholly Unbalanced.

We get the opportunity to create perfect harmony within our tiny ecosystems. This works perfectly to keep trees a notch above susceptible.

I have had many instances of "fungal imbalance", each time cured before any substantial damage. Sometimes it has been root problems, sometimes it has been lack of nutrients.

It has never been because I forgot to "spray my prophylactic".

There is always another cause.

Save your money and spend it on education and Fertilizer.

I heard yesterday eating Mango's gets you higher on Weed.

Sorce
Is it safe to assume your circumstances mirror another's?
Perhaps they live in different surroundings, different climates with natural influences non existent in your bubble.
Is it possible that removing the recurring cause is beyond their capabilities?
Does one pot fit all?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
s it possible that removing the recurring cause is beyond their capabilities?

It seems more likely it is beyond their belief.

Our focus is too small. Too shallow.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What dosage of infuse do people use for their pots? I think I read the label and didn't see instructions for potted plants.
A recent Bjorn video recommends a half-teaspoon up to two teaspoons of the infuse granules for pot sizes ranging from shohin up to "medium" sized trees. I don't remember if he said what medium sized meant or if that was left to the audience to decide, but that's a good starting point. -edit- oops, didn't see that others had already sorted this out, never mind!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"Resistance problems appeared a few years after..." <-- https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/fungicide-resistance-management.html

If you'll read my earlier comments on this topic, you'll see I'm more a fan of horticulture that leads to diminished necessity for fungicide use, but I'm also aware that the investment we put in our trees might make chemicals a more viable option.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you'll read my earlier comments on this topic, you'll see I'm more a fan of horticulture

Yes. This isn't towards anyone in particular.

Sorce

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm just getting into preventative maintenance this year so this is of interest. I picked up some Cleary's 3336 for foliar based on the Bjorn video on Bonsai U. The Infuse I ordered came in liquid form, I thought I had ordered the systemic.

Is it not a good idea to apply the systemic later in the season?
which Bonsai U episode was this?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
good for you and to each their own.

i use neem/soap/water or hydrogen peroxide. if a condition arose that those options couldnt take care of id probably compost the tree. im just not going to open the door to treating trees with stuff like that because i think itd be easy to assume something needs it when it really doesnt. especially if all other horticulture ground rules are being taken care of, thatll do or itll die.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
good for you and to each their own.

i use neem/soap/water or hydrogen peroxide. if a condition arose that those options couldnt take care of id probably compost the tree. im just not going to open the door to treating trees with stuff like that because i think itd be easy to assume something needs it when it really doesnt. especially if all other horticulture ground rules are being taken care of, thatll do or itll die.

How much time and money do you have invested in your trees at this point?
This is easy to say when most of your trees are $20-$30 shrubs you bought at a landscape nursery 2 years ago.

If it was a tree you had spent $250 on when you bought it and/or had worked on it for 10+ years to develop it where it might be worth $500 or more, would you still compost the tree? Or would you do something more to prevent a problem or save the tree if it had a fungal attack?

Top Bottom