What is a fair price for shohin trees

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If there is such a thing that a perfect tree, this is it

Gosh Attila I would love to agree with you on that quote but the tree does have one pretty significant imperfection and that's that big wound you see trying to heal. When I bought the tree, the person I bought it from was kind of amazed that I picked that tree from all the others he had simply because of that wound. It's healing but not with the speed I had hoped for. Whenever I take pictures of the tree I try to find the best angle where the wound won't be as pronounced.

As I mentioned I bought the tree from a private collector who just happened to be a fellow club member and friend. He had quite a few JBPs back then that he was selling and I found out about them just at the right time. Though I say I spent a a chunk of change on the tree, you could just imagine if it were for sell from a bonsai nursery, or better yet on e-bay. Of course my chunk of change and another persons could be a big difference also. It might not hurt as much :D

Attachments

• jbp5a.jpg
    jbp5a.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 57

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gosh Attila I would love to agree with you on that quote but the tree does have one pretty significant imperfection and that's that big wound you see trying to heal.

You are right, now that you pointed out, it's pretty obvious from the picture. I didn't pick it up at first sight.

On such a small tree, a large wound will take a very long time to heal. Is there a way that you can carve it into a shari?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the meantime...

...you can cheat a little, and glue a few flakes of black pine bark onto the wound. That will make it even less obvious.

As far as the potential shari that I contemplated, it may be a hard choice, since the wound is so wide, compared to the rest of the trunk. But it may be still feasible. Hard to tell from the picture, how good the tree would look with it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about doing it the other way around.

What is a fair price to place on a tree.

You own these you guys price them.

The three little pigs.

Attachments

• DSC_00040001.JPG
    DSC_00040001.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 69

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the fourth little pig, but it did not get his hair cut. In a two hundred dollar pot, remember that counts in the sale too.....

Attachments

• DSC_00070004.JPG
    DSC_00070004.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 66

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about a couple hornbeams. Pots around 60.00 a piece.

Attachments

• DSC_00050002.JPG
    DSC_00050002.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 59

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hows this little trident, Pot around 50.00 on this one.

Attachments

• DSC_00060003.JPG
    DSC_00060003.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 50

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couple pine pre bonsai, no pots yet, just material.

Attachments

• DSC_00080005.JPG
    DSC_00080005.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 52

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yaupon Holly....does anyone really like these? This one is pretty good. Getting ready for a pot.

Attachments

• DSC_00100007.JPG
    DSC_00100007.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 57

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This small elm is doing pretty well. Pot was free from a friend of the family...from Japan.

If anyone wishes to know a price paid just ask. They didn't look like this when I started with them. All I have in them is time. Is that worth anything?

Attachments

• DSC_00090006.JPG
    DSC_00090006.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 53

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Let's take price out of the equation. I know you have your own nursery and are very experienced while I am 3 years into bonsai; however, I have always had a very nice landscape and have been considered to be the better one in the neighborhood since I was 14-15 and have knowledge of shrubs and trees. Since price can be so spread out, when you are selecting a tree for your personal bonsai collection--or better yet--when you are advising your customers--what do you tell them to look for in selecting a tree. Let's say a JM.

I am not trying to be obtuse but rather I am really trying to learn.

It's hard to take price out of the equation. Some people are willing to put in the time it'll take to make a younger less expensive piece of material into a good piece of material. Others want to buy the time and get a more advanced piece, still others want a "finished" bonsai. It's also a really personal thing as well. Some people are really serious about having the best trees the can get or make others much less so. But to answer your question- if it's a person serious about creating the best bonsai they can I'd tell them to buy the material with the best nebari and lower trunk they could afford. Then they could spend the time building the last trunk sections and branching and will enjoy the process. If it's some one I know likes the idea of a bonsai rather than the work of making a bonsai I'd tell them to buy the tree they most like for their budget and not get too caught up with the defects etc. Some people just like trees in pots and are not interested in the art side of bonsai. Some people get as much appreciation and enjoyment from a 3 year old maple in a cheap pot as I might from a 30 year old import from Japan. I can't afford not to accept any and all forms of interest and commitment to bonsai so the answer would be different for everyone.
For myself I select trees that call to me in some way. Sometimes ones that have all the qualities of a "good" bonsai, other times one's with what may be considered "defects" but for me give the tree character. I personally think that the tree's character or personality if you will is what's important.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
550-700-retail

Why so low? the still youngish looking branches? the tree has a lot going for it. Unless I missed a major scar somewhere, Now I'm going to have to go back and recheck...

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Why so low? the still youngish looking branches? the tree has a lot going for it. Unless I missed a major scar somewhere, Now I'm going to have to go back and recheck...
Several reasons- Lack of ramifacation and age on branches, location (Los Angeles not Fresno)
and current market conditions. Mostly market conditions- with just a little branch ramifacation and aging thats going to be a fine tree.
In 2007 I could've sold that tree a hundred times over for $1000 but that was then.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the fourth little pig, but it did not get his hair cut. In a two hundred dollar pot, remember that counts in the sale too.....

would it be possible to take it out of the pot for me? Ill bring my own coffee can

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
would it be possible to take it out of the pot for me? Ill bring my own coffee can

Sure....I'll take it out of the pot...whats it worth?

Ebay is notorios for over bidding and stupid prices for trees. What would this tree go for on ebay?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ebay is notorios for over bidding and stupid prices for trees. What would this tree go for on ebay?

Actually I find that you have a lot less competition in the higher price range in eBay. Most (like me) are there to bargain hunt and sometimes, you can get lucky. :) On the flip side...you can get scr*wed also. :mad:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your not in the business of making money off of trees you never get screwed. You pay what you are comfortable paying. That is both sides are happy. A lot of times I make offers im happy with even though there is a price tag. Half of the time the seller and I meet somewhere in the middle. It's called haggling. You therefore meet at the market price....... What the seller and the buyer are willing to be happy with... It's simple supply and demand. In sales and especially trees no one gets screwed. You don't need these to survive. They are not food. Pay what your happy with its pretty simple.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If your not in the business of making money off of trees you never get screwed. .... Pay what your happy with its pretty simple.

I wish I can agree with you but can't. My statement is not just for trees but even there you can get something that is not like what was described, or defects hidden in photos, weak or dying plants, etc.

Believe me, you can get scr*wed in eBay.

Top Bottom