What is Heavy Feeding?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you give some links to of these comparative studies ?
I would have to do the same thing as you; look for them. I did when the thread started and a range of papers popped up very quickly when I searched.

Have a browse starting e.g. here:

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of studies are under field conditions, that's very different from pots. You can't easily translate that.
There are studies in pots like: http://www.ajofai.info/abstract/eva...growth of pot gerbera (gerbera jamesonii).pdf
But I haven't found a lot of long term studies with woody species. This one is with Gerbera's that are very different from a long lived Juniper or Acer.
Often it is also unclear what the actual nutrient availability was in a study or they are not comparable.
For instance: "Nutrient partitioning in potted peach (Prunus persica L.) trees supplied with mineral and organic fertilizers" uses Prunus but the amounts of nutrients between treatments differ a lot. They added much less N with the chemical fertiliser than in the compost and cow dung treatment.

Many studies are not accessible without a subscription. The search engine Sci-Hub can give you the article if you paste a title in the search bar. But I have to tell you, you're not allowed to do that as it is illegal as it violates the copyright of the publisher.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Many studies are not accessible without a subscription. The search engine Sci-Hub can give you the article if you paste a title in the search bar. But I have to tell you, you're not allowed to do that as it is illegal as it violates the copyright of the publisher.

Thank me later ;)

Last edited:

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is exactly what I was going to say.

Bottom line, in my experience for best results, use BOTH organic and inorganic.

Organic will allow the micro fauna in the soil to thrive and theres countless papers supporting this connection. Promotes symbiotic relationships for better absorption by the tree. Synonymous to human gut health i suppose. It also allows for a constant, steady release of accessible nutrients.

This is what I do as well, but some proponents of organic fertiizer claim that using a synthetic/chemical fertilizer will kill the microflora within the soil, thereby reducing the efficacy of the organic fertilizer

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but some proponents of organic fertiizer claim that using a synthetic/chemical fertilizer will kill the microflora within the soil, thereby reducing the efficacy of the organic fertilizer
I have always wondered whether there the wording is accurate. Starving in absense of organics: Yes, probable. Killing: I am not convinced it does that.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A high dosage of chemical fertilisers can kill microorganisms. But that is way outside of normal usage.
Cow dung is also bad for your bonsai if you apply a cubic meter of it.

Microorganisms need more than the compounds in the chemical fertiliser, especially a carbon source. This can be in organic fertiliser, in the soil substrate or root exudates.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did when the thread started and a range of papers popped up very quickly when I searched.
My response will be almost the same as Bnana's : field studies are not relevant to this discussion. "chemical AND organic fertilizer container " would be a better starting point.
It is thus not true that there are many studies that shows that for a plant in a container, organics is better than mineral fertilization.
Fertilization guide lines for container grown plants have been more or less the same for at least 20 years. I feel both desirable and reasonable that it goes a step further by using a more microorganism friendly approach but we are not there yet.
And to answer the O.P. question, heavy feeding is when you have an E.C. between 2000 and 3000 milliSiemens/cm.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I posted this in another thread to.
These 3 books gave me a bunch of answers I was wrestling with. It's mostly concentrating on what happens in the ground, but heaps can be related to pot culture to. In fact there is a whole chapter dedicated to hydroponics (and that is basically what we do) in the fungi book.
It's a fascinating read...for those interested.
IMG_20200712_221507.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In fact there is a whole chapter dedicated to hydroponics (and that is basically what we do) in the fungi book.
Seems interesting but how is the bibliography on which these book are build ?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems interesting but how is the bibliography on which these book are build ?
TBH mate, I don't understand the question....but this might be of some help.
In the preface Dr Elaine Ingham (the foremost soil scientist in the US) says this..
IMG_20200718_091109.jpgIMG_20200718_091132.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
TBH mate, I don't understand the question....but this might be of some help.
To write a significant book on that kind of field, one must rely on scientific facts which are published in research papers, thus my question about bibliography. It is not to say that a book without this kind of background has not scientific value but, I am generally suspicious with popular science books and this one seems to belong to this category.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To write a significant book on that kind of field, one must rely on scientific facts which are published in research papers, thus my question about bibliography. It is not to say that a book without this kind of background has not scientific value but, I am generally suspicious with popular science books and this one seems to belong to this category.
Ah i'm with you. There's also a few pages of scientific resources in the back of the books. If you're interested, contact me by PM. I'll provide all to you. Also the contact details of the author, and Dr Ingham.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Newbie to the site. I have noticed folks using “heavy feeding” when talking about fertilizing pre bonsai and growing big trunks. Can some one explain how often you fertilize and what you use. I live in San Diego so I have a long growing season. I am growing juniper of all kinds Shimpaku, Kishu, Itoigawa, Procumbens, and San Jose I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
I feed using miracle grow at 2 to 5 times the amount prescribed every week.
That's what they mean.
And every tree gets it.
Not just the ones growing out.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I say mix organics and salts together.
Or more presicely...organic bio-stimulants and npk salts.........Or go all organic.
This is good course if you have $200...there are $50 online coupons though.
Volcanic bonsai soil IS drain to waste hydroponics.

I understand all I need to know...........now just learn

Top Bottom