What is spring looking like in your neck of the woods?

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Repotted all my trees in late February/early March. We've had a couple of "cold" nights since in March, reaching the low 40's, nothing I really worried about. Just got I'd say 3"-5" of rain yesterday which continued throughout the night. The 7-day forecast is highs in low 80's with lows in the low to mid 60's. Perfect growth temps right now, I'm fertilizing very aggressively this year and my trees already show that they approve, all is well.

Also, just recently moved my plants to my brothers. They receive sun nearly all day except a bit of late day shade. Will be watering often this summer but if the rain keeps up it will help me out some. I intend to see some rapid growth this year!

Backyard.jpgBackyard2.jpg

Last edited:

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's still hitting the 20's and low 30's at night so all my trees are still tucked away. No sense in doing "the dance", plus I'm headed to Nick Lenz's next weekend and would prefer to have my larch still a little sleepy. The only thing on my bench at the moment is a blueberry that I dug last weekend

bench.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's still hitting the 20's and low 30's at night so all my trees are still tucked away. No sense in doing "the dance", plus I'm headed to Nick Lenz's next weekend and would prefer to have my larch still a little sleepy. The only thing on my bench at the moment is a blueberry that I dug last weekend

View attachment 33653

Wow, jealous of your trip to nicks place. Have fun post some pictures.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
april 4, 2013

temp hi 82f low 70f

koloa, kauai

best wishes, sam

Wow Sam, it looks great there! Jealous in a major way. Memories....

Attachments

• DSCN5088.jpg
    DSCN5088.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN5181.jpg
    DSCN5181.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN5222.jpg
    DSCN5222.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 36

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
spring sw oregon

currant april 13.jpgmarchapril2013bonsai 004.jpg
Very wet now after some beautiful warm days. Have mowed grass 4 times and now you can't tell.
Buds and blooms abound

Rose

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just finished pulling everything out here in NY, looks like spring is here. Now I just need to organize the trees and put up one more shelf. View attachment 33702

Just hope we don't drop below freezing again.

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Spring in the rockies

Spring has been very nice here. We have been anywhere from 40 to 70 degrees during the day and 36 to 45 through the night.

I have established my collection for my first summer.

The Acer Maple was my first tree I bought. I got it from the local Bonsai store. I re potted it in a bonsai soil mix they had in the store. Then I wired it into some kind of shape... :)
Didn't realize I was doing too much to it at once but I have been reading about all of my trees constantly. The buds are beginning to break and white fuzz is showing.

The Picea Pungens " Blue Spruce" was my secound tree I picked up from a garden center. I liked the trunk on it and being a native tree figured it wouldnt be too hard to keep alive. I did wire it and prune it. Today I notice the soil was as hard as a rock! So Iwent ahead and repotted it in this old stove we have had flowers in before. I used the same soil as above but put some larger rocks in the bottom for drainage.

The Juniper is my youngest sons. We did prune and wire it a bit but for the most part we are going to leave it alone and let it grow.

The Azalea (I think is a Satsuki azalea) was my wifes. She repotted emediatly in the same type of soil. Then realized she didn't have time for it so I have taken on the deed. They seem pretty durable from what I have read.

Then I purchaced a what I thought was a sequoia redwood. Thanks to one of the readers here on B Nuts he confirmed it was a coastal. I knew it would be a challange with the sequoia but I was up for the challange. I like the way the redwood bonsai looks. Anyway now that I have a coastal redwood I am making plans for a small green house for the winter. Good thing it's spring and I have plenty of time. :)

Any advice is always welcomed and thanks to those who have already helped!

Bonsai collection.jpg

Collection II.jpg

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The last freeze here was March 21... 28 degrees when I got up Friday. Fortunately I believed the forecast and moved everything at risk back into the greenhouse for the night. A couple of hours of extra work but what can you do?
Lately night time lows have been mid to upper 40s and days in the 60s and 70s. I even wore shorts to work last week. All my maples and elms have leafed out completely, my oaks are just starting.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
Wow Sam, it looks great there! Jealous in a major way. Memories....

yep. thats my island ! did you ever see so many shades of green? when were you here? looks like you got to see a cross section of our island garden including the hidden treasures of the na pali coast. I live on the south shore near poipu.

best wishes, sam

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Spring brings storms, and lightening...

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 34

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
yikes !! that looks nasty

best wishes, sam

DSC04757.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring brings storms, and lightening...

That's what I'm afraid of this spring... but it does a lot more damage than one tree here. We had fires like crazy last year and unless we get amazing rains I'm afraid this year will be as bad or worse. A LOT of collecting ground was burned up last spring. :(

Spring...?... it was 70 a couple of days ago and now were forecast for 6"-8" of snow and low of 10 today and tomorrow...grrr..lol

Keep sharing the pics! At least those of us in cold climates get to live vicariously through your spring pics. :)

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Dan, It looks like were going to get the snow tomorrow that your getting today.
We are at 67 degrees today, thunderstorms tonight and 7-10 inches of snow tomorrow with a high of 21. Gotta love it to live in it. :cool: Take care all.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
22 degrees last Wed. Predicted 80 this Wed...

Everything's awake, or most everything

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 49

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
We finally hit lower 60's today. I believe, first time this year. We have been from the upper 20's to upper 40's all this time. Ironically enough. I did a bunch of repotting over the last couple of days and now, the day after, the weather warms up. Great, unexpected timing.

Rob

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Today, I planted tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and green beans:D...my neck got burnt:p.

Hahahaha....you're turnin' into one-dem rednecks we been hearin' 'bout.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cherry's and forsythias are blooming all around.Zelkovas are bursting(from what I had seen).I will be potting some JBP stock to grow out.Here are the pictures of my bonsai experience.Everything is going to be let grow except for the mini Zelkova brooms.I am also raising more of the mini brooms this growing season,probably sowing the seed this wednesday.Hopefully last frost was a couple day's ago.Appraoching 80 degrees around here.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg