What is the possibility of having a Classified Section?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"New Posts" is a changing venue.

I've noticed with the influx of members, posts get lost much faster, this would happen regardless, so someone like me, who would only search it, needs to be flexible with it's changes.

Other than there, nothing will get (30-40 inundated) with sales posts.

@penumbra you could ask @Bonsai Nut to set you or someone up as Admin over sales, to give it more focused attention.

I believe a rules sticky, including ones for Auctions, could clear a lot up.

Though the largest problem does seem to be visibility.....

Which we seem to be knocking out!

Sell a pot yet?

It's hard for me to believe out of 60 people that wanted a free pot, 3 wouldn't want to pay for a better one with .....about as little as you'd ever pay for such a well made gorilla hand pot!😉

It'll be 2 years or more at the rate were at before the new posts are overwhelmed with sales.... actually, it'll never happen!

Post them sales!

BBF stands for Blueberry Fertilizer! Lol!

Now....a personal classifieds is something I can get behind! I was thinking the other day if we've had any love connections here! We should! Even if they are largely male homosexual connections!lol!

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You just need some eggroll, hamburger helper, beer/soda boxes. Ask @sorce.;) Oops sorry, they work for pots. You may need some packing peanuts and saran wrap.
speaking of @Carol 83 I have Purple Iris for you if you send me address.

I would always rather buy stuff off of members here and agree on being able to delete the posts

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@penumbra you could ask @Bonsai Nut to set you or someone up as Admin over sales, to give it more focused attention.
I wouldn't mind overseeing the sales/classifieds as a section admin.

I will look into it. I want to see the functionality - particularly the ability for people to delete content (take down their listings).
This would absolutely help. All old threads are still up even after items are sold or no longer available......and people can still post on them. I'm not sure if it's possible, but the possibility of the seller checking a button/box that will close out the listing within a given time or when the item is sold or no longer available.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also think a new dedicated button on top that takes you directly to the sales/classifieds section on the site and mobile version would help tremendously. I use my cell a majority of the site when on the site. It's just easier to snap and upload pics right on the phone.

I didn't even know that @Leo in N E Illinois and @penumbra posted items for sale until I read that they did.

Though having the thread/listing show up on the main "new posts" helps with exposure to everyone. If one posts in the sales/classifieds and no one checks by actually going to that section a person could be looking for something and it's posted and not know.

Over the years there's many members here on BNut that are regulars. I prefer to buy/sell here first than to actual strangers/non-members elsewhere.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m open to change, especially if it helps the classified section. Because I am tired of $50 JBP for a year old seedling on the auctions.
Lol, I have some 1.5yr (second year) JBP seedlings if you're interested, wired up and unwired. PM me if you are interested.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
delete the posts
delete content

If the only reason to delete things is to save what I believe is an "infinite" amount of space....

I think it's better to perpetuate the use of the sales section, to leave stuff up, so folks can show interest in similar things.

"I wish this was still available", can lead to other sellers being prompted to post similar items.

Things will fall to the bottom as they will, I don't think it's worth the effort to delete things, especially considering the possible benefits.

Sorce

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
It would be cool to be able to filter by area/region somehow, i.e. show only items in a specific country/state/province. I personally like to be able to find local stuff, and pick it up in person rather than worry about it being shipped.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If the only reason to delete things is to save what I believe is an "infinite" amount of space....

I think it's better to perpetuate the use of the sales section, to leave stuff up, so folks can show interest in similar things.

"I wish this was still available", can lead to other sellers being prompted to post similar items.

Things will fall to the bottom as they will, I don't think it's worth the effort to delete things, especially considering the possible benefits.

Sorce
I think the idea is to have the ABILITY to remove old content, not necessarily the requirement to. It could allow sellers especially the ability to curate their own single thread of rotating merchandise much more efficiently than posting a new thread for every item.

It would also help with this...
It would be cool to be able to filter by area/region somehow, i.e. show only items in a specific country/state/province. I personally like to be able to find local stuff, and pick it up in person rather than worry about it being shipped.
... Without overburdening admins with the job. Just make a generic thread title that includes your location, or a generic thread for a region, and the OP will have what amounts to limited admin powers over their own thread.
I do feel this ability should be limited to the sales section, though, if that's possible.

There's a bookmark feature, and the follow option for threads. Can those be made available to use on an entire subforum? It might help compromise those who want sales popping up for them as soon as they land with those who don't.

It seems to me that a few small but strategic tweaks to the current system would fill the vast majority of our concerns. If sales on BNut really take off in the six months after those types of changes, then it might be more plausible for @Bonsai Nut to go through the effort of redesigning and re-engineering that entire section or finding third party resources. As it stands now, it's dubious whether it'd be a worthwhile task to him.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
small but strategic tweaks

I like that idea of one thread, or an ability to somehow "admin" your owns things....

But thinking about it again right now....

What's the harm in reading down through items that have sold?
It will be easy, and the education in it is what we're always seeking anyway....how much does stuff actually cost? And what sells!

This is the begin of a functioning economy IMO.

So I think we're just overthinking the difficulties in using the system as it is.

Good Honest Sellers will take over.

Maybe that why it's so bare....to many bitches trying to sell shit for more than it's worth?

They know they'll get called out on this undeleting public forum.

Yeah so see...as soon as anything starts getting deleted, the essence of Bonsai Nut is gone...

It'll turn right into Facebook and other BS social media sites.

They are certainly onto something, Rogan, Peterson, etc, with the positivity of a long format conversation in podcasts. People want and need this. When we don't delete anything, all the benefits of that format is here in a readable version.

Fuuuuck Deletion!

If the reason to delete stuff isn't space/cost related for Greg, there is no good reason, at least not one that will outweigh the benefits of leaving it up.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i only post in general discussions and seldom look anywhere past the homepage latest activity threads
The problem with this is that if you post a really cool pine progression and dont post it in the pines section but in the General Discussions section, it makes it very very very hard to find later on if someone wants to try and search it to remind themselves what you did and how the tree responded. It basically makes your post pretty much worthless for trying to learn something from.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Lol, I have some 1.5yr (second year) JBP seedlings if you're interested, wired up and unwired. PM me if you are interested.
I have some, they are for sale in the trees for sale section. I just mentioned that because I was pointing out I rather sell here and give members opportunities to buy things at a reasonable price. Yes, I understand economics and supply and demand.... i also am not a stooge on prices
if you click on people’s profile it tells you where they live as far as state or region.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maybe that why it's so bare....to many bitches trying to sell shit for more than it's worth?
I am curious to see what threads/listings here where people are listing items for more than its worth? To you? To me? To who?

Price and value is subjective. What you think is a good deal, I may not. What I feel is/has value, you may not.

If one thinks someone is listing something out of "their" subjective price range.....then its simple just ignore that post/listing. The OP will soon realize they won't get any sale with that price and will have to either try elsewhere or readjust.

The regulars here pretty much know what each other has going on. It's the new members that pop up and try to sell something here and "EVERYONE" gets suspicious about that listing. This is one of my reasoning before you get to sell on here you should have a minimum post count so we all get to know who you are. Once you build that trust amongst everyone here then you should have no issues selling.

Members here will try to help each other out. This is what I like so much about this forum. Though many of us never met in person, the trust and reputation has already been established by what we post and how we post.

I have not yet listed any of my mame pots, but I already priced out the ones I will let go. If you don't like my price, that doesn't mean I listed it for more than it's worth. I have sacrificed my time / family time and invested a lot of money to make my pots. I will list what I feel they are worth to me. If someone likes or dislikes the price so be it, I'm more than happy to keep my pots.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
if you click on people’s profile it tells you where they live as far as state or region.
I'm aware of that. I meant more like a filter so you don't have to click on the profile of each poster to see their location. If the sale/classified section got a lot of activity, this filter feature would be handy to search for local items.

This would of course only make sense if there was a more structured/active section but understandable that it would require a good bit of maintenance.

I like the idea since I don't do Faceplace etc. and always though BNut would be a handy place to sell/buy tree nerd stuff. Maybe I'll post some things on here moving forward 🤔

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like that idea of one thread, or an ability to somehow "admin" your owns things....

But thinking about it again right now....

What's the harm in reading down through items that have sold?
It will be easy, and the education in it is what we're always seeking anyway....how much does stuff actually cost? And what sells!

This is the begin of a functioning economy IMO.

So I think we're just overthinking the difficulties in using the system as it is.

Good Honest Sellers will take over.

They know they'll get called out on this undeleting public forum.

Yeah so see...as soon as anything starts getting deleted, the essence of Bonsai Nut is gone...

It'll turn right into Facebook and other BS social media sites.

They are certainly onto something, Rogan, Peterson, etc, with the positivity of a long format conversation in podcasts. People want and need this. When we don't delete anything, all the benefits of that format is here in a readable version.

Fuuuuck Deletion!

If the reason to delete stuff isn't space/cost related for Greg, there is no good reason, at least not one that will outweigh the benefits of leaving it up.

Sorce
Hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it. A permanent record acts as a sort of built-in review tool.

If 10k posts gets you a custom title, maybe 5k gets you limited admin privileges on your own threads upon request/referral?
Again, though, probably more hassle than it's worth. Just brainstorming.

Still, the sales section needs more publicity, one way or another.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
require a good bit of maintenance.

A title could include "place, pickup only, etc"...

Which is the responsibility of the seller.

A seller can get/keep/return as many of the right eyes on the posts as they want.

We, can ignore everything that doesn't fit our needs.

If we miss something, well, we have a responsibility as the buyer as well!

Sounds like a wee bit of "cater to me" all around.

We need to learn to Cater to our Damn selves!

I couldn't have had auctions 2-40something if I didn't figure out I should have put all the pertinent info on the first place. Ie..US only, blah blah.

am curious to see what threads/listings here where people are listing items for more than its worth? To you? To me? To who?

These are the threads that do not exist.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"New Posts" is a changing venue.

I've noticed with the influx of members, posts get lost much faster, this would happen regardless, so someone like me, who would only search it, needs to be flexible with it's changes.

Other than there, nothing will get (30-40 inundated) with sales posts.

I believe a rules sticky, including ones for Auctions, could clear a lot up.

Though the largest problem does seem to be visibility.....

Which we seem to be knocking out!

Sell a pot yet?

It's hard for me to believe out of 60 people that wanted a free pot, 3 wouldn't want to pay for a better one with .....about as little as you'd ever pay for such a well made gorilla hand pot!😉

It'll be 2 years or more at the rate were at before the new posts are overwhelmed with sales.... actually, it'll never happen!

Post them sales!

BBF stands for Blueberry Fertilizer! Lol!

Now....a personal classifieds is something I can get behind! I was thinking the other day if we've had any love connections here! We should! Even if they are largely male homosexual connections!lol!

Sorce
I had a count of 73 people wanting the giveaway pot and I sold two of them which pleases me greatly.
Rest assured the site is going to get very busy with sales and I will be a part of it ... very soon. I think then people will know why I think a designated classified section is important for growth. I will be listing between 6 and 10 items this week. That means that under the general new posting for new posts, there will be 6 to 10 posts that will either interest you or that you have to scroll past. I may even list some antique Japanese scrolls and / or obi. I hope other sellers will follow suite. I would love to see 50 items listed, or 100 items listed and I think it is going to happen. So come on all you pot makers, stand makers, suiseki sellers and plant growers, lets go.

Top Bottom