What it the most you have ever spent on a single bonsai pot? (results will be anonymous)

What it the most you have ever spent on a single bonsai pot?

• $0-$100

Votes: 63 33.9%
  • $101-$200

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • $201-$300

Votes: 31 16.7%
  • $301-$400

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • $401-$500

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • $501-$750

Votes: 16 8.6%
  • $751-$1000

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • $1001-$2000

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • $2001-$5000

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • $5001-up

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was a large cream reiho oval but I sold it before I ever put anything in it...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These were all bought and eventually sold. I believe the blue was the only one over $500 at the time. The gekkous are beautiful pots but frankly not usable for me due to smaller size.

While they would look nice sitting on a shelf along with the Ino in between, I ditched them to spend money on pots for trees to actually go in. In the last year or two I’ve picked up two Koyos, a reiho, a gyouzan and a keizan which have trees in them or will after this seasons repot. I guess not buying trees means I buy pots instead.

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2365.jpeg
    IMG_2365.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 86

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spent $850 on this Ron Lang oval, but UPS killed it. Got my money back from the insurance company and Ron, so not really sure if it's a valid entry to this poll. 😁 Also FWIW, I have bought numerous pots from each of lower categories under the $750-$1,000 one.

Attachments

• langinsurancephoto.jpg
    langinsurancephoto.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 86
  • backyardbonsaipots.jpg
    backyardbonsaipots.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 84

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Starting to think I might have to look at getting some clay, haven't mucked around with the stuff since the 80s at school.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I spent $850 on this Ron Lang oval, but UPS killed it. Got my money back from the insurance company and Ron, so not really sure if it's a valid entry to this poll. 😁 Also FWIW, I have bought numerous pots from each of lower categories under the $750-$1,000 one.
Did you put the pot back together?

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Im surprised you got your money back. We had a tray crack in two enroute to Texas and UPS never processed the claim, despite us buying insurance. We sent photos and ups even collected the package and for some reason returned it to us. When I followed up they said my claim number didnt even exist, they just swept it under a rug and we were out a few hundred dollars. Never bought insurance again since.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've got to pick out two nice pots this year for some of my nicer material, so that might result in me exceeding what I reported to the poll. At the moment it'd have to be this Shinobu Amemiya pot, particularly cost relative to size 😅 generally I think dragon carvings are kind of kitsch but the dude really knocks it out of the park on his.

20230107_125416.jpg
20230107_125350.jpg
20230107_125425.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im surprised you got your money back. We had a tray crack in two enroute to Texas and UPS never processed the claim, despite us buying insurance. We sent photos and ups even collected the package and for some reason returned it to us. When I followed up they said my claim number didnt even exist, they just swept it under a rug and we were out a few hundred dollars. Never bought insurance again since.
Should have clarified --Ron refunded my money. He submitted a claim to UPS. I provided a dozen photos of the damage. Don't know if he got the claim though. Effing UPS guy who delivered it knew it was broken--the package rattled like broken glass. He fled the scene as soon as he handed it to me 😵‍💫 .

I did glue it back together with epoxy. The pieces were big and tiny-whatever broke it smashed it with force and the impact area was shattered into tiny pieces. It's a training pot at best and one I wouldn't really trust to hold together.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have 2 that were about the same - can’t remember which was more. Both were approximately $300

Large round by Toyo. It’s about 18”. I believe it is a few decades old as Toyo has been deceased for some time now. I got it for this Telperion Farms Itoigawa.

F4D4E8B5-3BCB-4D24-BE22-7DDE313180B7.jpeg
70AE3FEE-0BB4-4D70-94C5-063AA0A846AE.jpeg

Second one is a large, cream-glazed rectangle by Harumatsu. It’s currently holding a big lilac.

F56E709C-CC8F-41C2-86E5-AB2C90B31958.jpeg

I love both of these pots!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Never bought insurance again since.
Funny story... years ago when I was about to get engaged, I was shopping for a diamond. A friend of a friend was a diamond broker who used to travel to Tel Aviv to buy diamonds, and was offering me a great deal on a stone, but I couldn't make the purchase because I was too nervous about shipping. One day at work I came out of a meeting and I had a small package sitting on my desk. The guy had sent me the diamond, unannounced, in the mail, no deposit, no insurance. We're talking five figures. My hands were shaking as I opened the box because I couldn't believe anyone was crazy enough to do it. He told me later - "I never use insurance because that would just tell people 'hi, I'm a diamond ring steal me'."

Last edited:

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fedex broke a J Cross container last Spring and the box was obviously damaged upon arrival. Told the delivery driver when he dropped it off and he took some photos. Mirai put a claim in and got the insurance to pay out within 5 days. On another case, fedex lost 2 out of 4 wheels I had shipped. 16k insurance fee paid for and they tried to only pay 2k. 6 months went by with me going back and forth before they finally sent a check for 8k. I hate the games they play when it’s blatantly obvious that it’s their fault.

Top Bottom