• _DSF3222.jpg
    _DSF3222.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 51

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is an amazing ponderosa ! The trunk at root collar is about 4". The surrounding forest appears to have burned about 10 years ago. There are several rock outcroppings in the area of this tree that i intend to scout.

Attachments

• 20191011_152242.jpg
    20191011_152242.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 47

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
Or heaven forbid...

"I don't know, but so-and-so may".

Then that is admittance that someone knows more also, which by no means can anyone admit anymore.

Where that handbasket? Oh yeah the world is off in it.

Sorce
We need "Google Translate" for Sorce .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We need "Google Translate" for Sorce .

Someone is working on it already.

I may know how to cook eggs, but I can admit my daughter knows better.
And if I want you to learn even better, Gordon Ramsey is your man.

People, especially those on high horses, are too bitch to say someone knows better.

It's that selfish and super selfish, as relates to what John Nash says about folks doing what's best for themselves and the group. When you do what's best for the group, you naturally get more out of it in the end.
Selfish people can't see so far, so they think they know best.
Super selfish people see farther, act appropriately for the group, and reap greater benefits in the end.
I am super selfish.

Sorce

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey guys I didn’t want to start a new thread to ask one question so I will put my question here. Is this Pitch Pine worth it to collect it ? 8BFC9EA4-D342-46CA-AE33-1610C7CBB620.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I were looking I would keep looking. There's not much interest low in the trunk, and no low living branches. I don't know about collecting in New Jersey, but it looks like sandy soil. Digging might be easy but you may have roots running a long way before the split into feeder roots.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
you work for the gov and have all the permits for collecting, nice, good for you.

i cant help but think about the multitude of threads on here of story after story of the nightmare
it is, efficiency or even plausibility, of obtaining such permits.

thanks for dropping the link for people to get the permits, there are some other threads about how to go about
collecting in a legal fashion but i cant recall many success stories aside from a christmas tree permit.

in taxachusetts i wont even bother. they have restricted access to many beautiful areas here for piping plover birds, which netted a +10 or +50
birds over the course of 20ish years that we werent allowed to enjoy nature for, regardless of property taxes. brutal. i wish i saved that article.
(this is a microcosm of why i wouldnt even bother, not saying there are collection sites where the birds are, even though theres tons of pitch pines near them all)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thanks for dropping the link for people to get the permits, there are some other threads about how to go about
collecting in a legal fashion but i cant recall many success stories aside from a christmas tree permit.
Hey, in most places there are no restrictions on how SMALL those Christmas trees can be, and very few on the method of their removal. ;)
Also, the place you go for those Christmas tree permits is generally the same place you'd go for any other kind of permit bonsai might need.

If your local Forest Service office doesn't know for whatever reason, try your local USDA Service Center. Most people don't realize, but the Forest Service, Department of Wildlife, National Parks, Bureau of Land Management, and a few others are all branches of the USDA.
That's for Federal lands. Most States have their own Department of Natural Resources. Look them up and contact them for anything on state run lands. They're your best shot East of the Mississippi. West of the Mississippi, you may have better luck with one of the aforementioned USDA organizations. (The Sagebrush Wars are real, my friends!)

And always remember, in an organization that's all about the outdoors, who do you really think they're going to leave behind to answer the phones? No one who knows what they're doing!

Last edited:
Top Bottom