What Species of Juniper is this

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
As to asking the guys handing out the fines. That would be good if you could find one when you wanted one. I had one of those intellectual giants tell me that the White Bark Pine was just a different name for the Limber Pine.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually am not aware of any other N.A. native junipers with needle needle foliage (not counting juvi growth). Somebody must know if there are more?

Nice pics, nice country.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None that I've heard of either.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The Communis I have seen in New England, Minnesota, Wyoming and Idaho all seem a bit different foliage-wise and in stature also. My understanding is there are very genetically variable as are Virginiana. Anyways, I think it is Communis.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just to throw a wrench into the collective works there is another Juniper native to North America: Juniperus Horzontalis.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to throw a wrench into the collective works there is another Juniper native to North America: Juniperus Horzontalis.

Horizontalis is pretty common here, mostly low creepers with not much trunk to speak of but there are exceptions. Nice foliage.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Another thing to understand about some of these places like Bryce and especially Mt. Charleston West of Vegas is that they are sort of on Islands and have a fair number of unique species. That's one reason you can't even get a dig permit on Mt. Charleston.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Cool. Can someone else look at this and tell me if I'm reading it right? I think it says that J. Horizontalis is the same as Communis var. Jackii.
http://www.conifers.org/cu/Juniperus_horizontalis.php

Apparently yes. What caught my eye was this part:
"Juniperus horizontalis, a prostrate species, hybridizes with the trees J. virginiana and J. scopulorum (Adams 1983; Fassett 1945; Palma-Otal et al. 1983) and is closely related to both. The hybrid between J. horizontalis and J. scopulorum has been named J. × fassettii Boivin" (Adams 1993)"
So it's totally possible that what Vance saw is some type of hybrid variation.

Top Bottom