What Species of Juniper is this

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is a Juniper I encountered in Brice Canyon, Utah, last summer. Interesting tree. I could not get closer because of the sloap and the restrictions on leaving the path. $100.00 fine if they catch you.

DSC_6838.JPG DSC_6836.JPG DSC_6837.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here is the view from a two minute walk down the trail.

DSC_6844.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank You. Common Juniper is the widest distributed tree in the Northern Hemisphere so that is very possible. However: the Commons we see around here have needles more like the Japanese Needle Juniper. This tree is growing above 10,300 feet.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This past summer? Would've been nice to meet you.
DSC03311_1.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like communis to me Vance. There are slightly different strains all throughout the States. :)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd say common too, BUT I see lots of other trees out there that need "id'ing" lol

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The place is so beautiful it is almost impossible to not get great pictures of it. The Pinion Pines were interesting confirming my desire to grow them as bonsai. These are the first I have seen as heavily coned up as these are and I have been coming out here for a couple of years now.

DSC_6801.JPG DSC_6788.JPG DSC_6797.JPG DSC_6721.JPG DSC_6718.JPG

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have been right where you took this. You were about 2-3 hours from my house. :) I wondered what they were as well. Have you asked Samuel Miller over on the Bonsai Talk facebook group? He collects in Utah. An interesting side bar is that Bryce canyon is named for my friend's great great grandfather.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the infromation I have not visited that site.
I have been right where you took this. You were about 2-3 hours from my house. :) I wondered what they were as well. Have you asked Samuel Miller over on the Bonsai Talk facebook group? He collects in Utah. An interesting side bar is that Bryce canyon is named for my friend's great great grandfather.

I'm pretty sure now that they probably are Common Juniper, but when I get the chance I will seek out Mr. Miller.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wasn't Bryce Canyon named for some rancher that tried to raise cattle in the area among the hoodoos? Probably related to myself. My family came out west into Utah with Brigham Young, and before you ask I am not Mormon. The family used to be years ago but something happened, the facts of which I am not totally certain except, I heard the word murder floated around several times in relation to a land dispute and a mission.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rocky Mountain and Utah juniper are both scale juniper, where as this one appears to be entirely needle juniper. Sometimes the juvenile foliage can turn more "needl-ey" (Yes I made up a word). But the pic's don't look like juvenile foliage to me.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got it. I still don't really know much about junipers out west yet. I'm from Virginia :p (and... you know... was living in China until recently anyway) Thanks for the educational info :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great Country!

How about asking them folks handing out the fines?

Awesome pics guys!

Sorce

Top Bottom