What to do next with this pine tree?

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this pine tree growing in my parent's yard by a shed 5 years ago. I let it grow a couple years where it was and then put it in a gallon plastic pot. I only watered it once, left it in the same spot, and then forgot about it. Occasionally when I went there I would notice that it was still alive. About a year and a half ago a large branch from a nearby full size tree fell on it during a hurricane and broke it in two. I removed the branch and then forgot about it for another year and a half. I was there a week ago and saw that it had grown a new top!
This time I took it home with me and repotted it in a ceramic pot. I should say that all of the other trees I have cared for, other than the wisteria I'm holding in the avatar, have died. I'm thinking maybe that I over watered them! The wisteria likes lots of water so that's probably why it's still alive. I plan to not over water the pine. But my question is what is my next step with the pine? I already removed some dead needles by hand thumbnail (14).jpgto make it look nicer. Should I remove some branches now or just let it continue growing for now? It is 24 inches tall. With a pine do I cut branches or just use my fingers? Oh, and does anyone recognize what kind of pine this is? I live in north Florida.

Last edited:

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
That does not look like a pine, probably a Cedar.

It's pretty tall, I'd reduce the height by at least 1/3.

Cedars don't make the best bonsai, but they are still attractive.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay!

I'd also keep working with it, and I'd learn what I could from the experience and from the tree.

Good Luck!

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where in North florida do you live? I live in Lake City fl. I only ask because there is a club near me and the prez is very knowledgeable. Might do you good to join and get some help on this awesome road ....and yea def a ceder. They grow EVERYWHERE around here. I've tried playing with them but they can be a difficult tree to work. I wasn't able to do anything with the few i tried but it was good for the practice. Welcome!

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually Jacksonville, which isn't too far, but my 15 year old Ford interceptor only gets 12 miles to the gallon.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I did some pruning on this Eastern redwood cedar. Actually I think I did too much pruning, but I did shorten it by a third. I don't have wire yet so I used some string to make some branches hang lower. Hopefully it will continue growing and eventually look more full. When I get wire I'll do more shaping. thumbnail (15).jpg

Top Bottom