What's the bourgeoisie class of bonsai enthusiasts like?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
with all the money youve made from working your ass off, whats the most you would spend on a tree to treat yourself lets say, or do you have a limit?
i dont prioritize this hobby enough to spend a lot of money on a tree, i chose to develop them from lesser material,
even though i could buy a nice tree if i wanted to, from my hard work, and my bosses

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i dont prioritize this hobby enough to spend a lot of money on a tree, i chose to develop them from lesser material,
even though i could buy a nice tree if i wanted to, from my hard work, and my bosses

fair enough.
what do you say to the people nowadays who arent working as hard as you for money, instead they are making money work for them whether that be the stock market, digital currency, real estate, ecommerce ventures etc, many of these guys didnt do any higher education either.

If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die. Warren buffet

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
fair enough.
what do you say to the people nowadays who arent working as hard as you for money, instead they are making money work for them whether that be the stock market, digital currency, real estate many of these guys didnt do any higher education either.
good for them. that investment money is often taxed income, then taxed again if their assumed risk turns out to appreciate, which is far from guaranteed. i work for my money and assume risk and try to get it to grow too...taxed throughout the whole process

you dont just throw darts at a board and win necessarily. need to have the capital (taxed), market research, weigh risk, make decisions and be well versed in finance and markets to succeed on there, per se

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
fair enough.
what do you say to the people nowadays who arent working as hard as you for money, instead they are making money work for them whether that be the stock market, digital currency, real estate, ecommerce ventures etc, many of these guys didnt do any higher education either.
Its true I'm an estate agent and I'm as dumb as rocks. Some people work hard for there money and some work smart for there money but you can begrudge someone for making money easier than you or quicker than you that's life. Either change your game plan or except what you earn is what you earn. jealousy is is bad for you and is just wasting time that you could spend on improving your situation.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Its true I'm an estate agent and I'm as dumb as rocks. Some people work hard for there money and some work smart for there money but you can begrudge someone for making money easier than you or quicker than you that's life. Either change your game plan or except what you earn is what you earn. jealousy is is bad for you and is just wasting time that you could spend on improving your situation.
well said. B+ student with work ethic myself. no excuses. happy with what i have earned, can look in mirror

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
good for them. that investment money is often taxed income, then taxed again if their assumed risk turns out to appreciate, which is far from guaranteed. i work for my money and assume risk and try to get it to grow too...taxed throughout the whole process

you dont just throw darts at a board and win necessarily. need to have the capital (taxed), market research, weigh risk, make decisions and be well versed in finance and markets to succeed on there, per se

you dont have to be well versed in finance and the level of risk varies from high to low depending on what stocks. its just a matter of research. everything can be found on the internet.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
well said. B+ student with work ethic myself. no excuses. happy with what i have earned, can look in mirror
One of our landlord that I work on behalf of is a multimillionaire he left school with no qualifications he now has over 300 properties in my town and a large business selling white goods (domestic appliances) and he is the hardest worker I know. A good attitude, motivation and a willingness to learn from your mistakes will take you far. I'm not willing to work as hard as him so I will always have less than him I am fine with this as its always a trade off between free time and money and I like the balance I have, I'm not rich but I'm not poor either but I am happy

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
you dont have to be well versed in finance and the level of risk varies from high to low depending on what stocks. its just a matter of research. everything can be found on the internet.
throwing darts but i hear you, you dont have to be well versed in those. can be lucky too. still assuming a lot or more risk that way, which i can respect if you pull the trigger on something based on an inkling or something you read on the internet

good point buy (hehe) you, buying shares of walmart is far less risky (and volatile) than an emerging or less established entities

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
One of our landlord that I work on behalf of is a multimillionaire he left school with no qualifications he now has over 300 properties in my town and a large business selling white goods (domestic appliances) and he is the hardest worker I know. A good attitude, motivation and a willingness to learn from your mistakes will take you far. I'm not willing to work as hard as him so I will always have less than him I am fine with this as its always a trade off between free time and money and I like the balance I have, I'm not rich but I'm not poor either but I am happy
love that perspective. agree 100%

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
throwing darts but i hear you, you dont have to be well versed in those. can be lucky too. still assuming a lot or more risk that way, which i can respect if you pull the trigger on something based on an inkling or something you read on the internet
you can do in depth research into the companies you invest in, you can find out who their competitors are, who they fight with, you can research the names of people who run these companies, what they did before, their ambitions, how driven they are etc etc, so i wouldnt call that just 'throwin darts'
maybe it was like that in the olden days. times change.

throw darts n you will lose money FAST.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
you can do in depth research into the companies you invest in, you can find out who their competitors are, who they fight with, you can research the names of people who run these companies, what they did before, their ambitions, how driven they are etc etc, so i wouldnt call that just 'throwin darts'
maybe it was like that in the olden days. times change.

throw darts n you will lose money FAST.
yes, i agree. thats useful, organizational/market research

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My sifu has at least one client who can't maintain his own trees. This guy has a ton of money and a huge estate (I forget what companies he started) and the trees are phenomenal. He'll drive out, or sometimes be flown out in a helicopter, to do seasonal maintenance once or twice a year. I never asked who waters and monitors the trees in between those visits. Maybe just the regular gardener? It does sound like a pretty nice gig, I don't live close enough to any super elites currently haha. I guess that's step one

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
yes, i agree. thats useful, organizational/market research
sure, there are guys i follow who only advocate buying stocks in companies you use like apple, microsoft, amazon, nike, jack daniels, johnson n johnsons etc basically every day products that you use yourself. thats a good way to get in to start with, just buying shares in companies your familiar with. its like owning a piece of the company youve supported or used for many years. but with these types of stocks you may not see significant gains for 5 years or more, but maybe your son or daughter could reap the benifits down the line, there are so many different types of stocks then you have the guys who day trade, hold for a day n trade, there is more risk in that.

anyway ill get off this thread as gone way off topic😁

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
sure, there are guys i follow who only advocate buying stocks in companies you use like apple, microsoft, amazon, nike, jack daniels, johnson n johnsons etc basically every day products that you use yourself. thats a good way to get in to start with, just buying shares in companies your familiar with. its like owning a piece of the company youve supported or used for many years. but with these types of stocks you may not see significant gains for 5 years or more, but maybe your son or daughter could reap the benifits down the line, there are so many different types of stocks then you have the guys who day trade, hold for a day n trade, there is more risk in that.

anyway ill get off this thread as gone way off topic😁
dividend stocks there :) smart but you need a chunk of capital to get those safe payouts every 3 mos or whatever to tie it up in there. they appreciate slowly at this point but arent volatile and will prob appreciate over time if you hang on long enough, while getting the divs$

someone i look up to invested in AT&T over course of 30 years. capital depreciation, but made up for it with the dividends

down to move on, just dont like people judging or dividing people based on class or skin color (they didnt with race, but society does now)

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
most wealthy people i deal with (and i do deal with with them at work and personally) have busted their rear end for their whole lives. 6+ years higher education and work their tail off, assume risk and manage it, commit a lot of their time to earning what they have, and provide opportunity for others to make a living at the same time
i deal with electrical company owners who bust their ass and make good money, lots of them. like the owner of the company i work for, with no education except hard work and self motivation
Yeah... I don't think that's the type of person we're talking about here. Anyone who has worked for their money and assumed any significant amount of risk- I'm talking, "I'm going to lose my home and my credit will be ruined for the next 20 years if this falls through" type of risk- is in a different class than the ultra wealthy.

That's the mistake a lot of people make when discussing the type of wealth that enters the stratosphere. People have an idea in their heads of what it's like but the reality is almost unimagineable. There are billionaires who sign prenups to make sure they never have to worry about a divorce...and then there are billionaires who could lose half their wealth and their lives wouldn't change in the slightest.

Also don't forget that a million seconds is 12 days. A billion seconds is 31 years. To deny that someone with a billion dollars is not "one of the priveleged few" would be absurd.

Someone with a million dollars in spending money would be spending 1/10 of it on a $100,000 tree. Some of Mirai's trees go for $700,000. We're not talking about the owners of electrical companies.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yeah... I don't think that's the type of person we're talking about here. Anyone who has worked for their money and assumed any significant amount of risk- I'm talking, "I'm going to lose my home and my credit will be ruined for the next 20 years if this falls through" type of risk- is in a different class than the ultra wealthy.

That's the mistake a lot of people make when discussing the type of wealth that enters the stratosphere. People have an idea in their heads of what it's like but the reality is almost unimagineable. There are billionaires who sign prenups to make sure they never have to worry about a divorce...and then there are billionaires who could lose half their wealth and their lives wouldn't change in the slightest.

Also don't forget that a million seconds is 12 days. A billion seconds is 31 years. To deny that someone with a billion dollars is not "one of the priveleged few" would be absurd.

Someone with a million dollars in spending money would be spending 1/10 of it on a $100,000 tree. Some of Mirai's trees go for $700,000. We're not talking about the owners of electrical companies.
they buy that tree for 700k, in MA, or RI, and they put $49,000 in sales tax to the commonwealth in a single transaction

very impressive i think^

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
they buy that tree for 700k, in MA, or RI, and they put $49,000 in sales tax to the commonwealth in a single transaction

very impressive i think^
and deduct it as business expenses as it decorates their place of business.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

100% what I was thinking.

Top Bottom