What's the least suitable species for bonsai in your collection?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a few EWP seedlings going right now, collected them from my jobsite because why not :p
They're fun and forgiving pines to play with! It's just.. Not that suitable. I know user vancehanna has some serious EWPs but he's one of the few in the world that made them work. Hats off to him!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well... I have never considered it for bonsai, but I received a paw-paw tree as a gift this spring and I have it growing like mad in a container. Think walnut tree compound leaves, only 2x the size :)

View attachment 392397
Nice. I am told you need two if you ever want to see fruit.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice. I am told you need two if you ever want to see fruit.
Yes... they are not self-pollinating, so you need a genetically dissimilar tree nearby for it to fruit. However they are not sexually dimorphic - ie they don't have separate sexes - so you don't have to wrestle with the whole "male and female" pairing like with princess persimmon.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have been trying hard to develop one Eucalyptus deglupta (Rainbow eucalyptus). They bud back easily but only on well lignified branch. Anything they don't like and they will just drop the whole branch. The leaves are big but I expect them to reduce just fine. It's just that I never got one tree to that level. I've had many succumbing to freeze and lost some to storm (my bad luck).
I now down to just one tree in a grow box. The trunk is 1.5" and short (3"). The part of the trunk above that are dead to freezing. I have 3 long branches (3.5 ft) 5/8" diameter growing from it. I can't afford for it to drop any branches so I am allowing it to grow freely without any cutback this year.i

By the way, I've searched high and low for a bona fide rainbow eucalyptus bonsai and have not found any. I either find pre-bonsai stuff similar to my own or fake ones.
I'll post a picture of the one I have left tonight when I get home.

Until I am able to get one good enough to move from grow box to bonsai pot, I would say that it is a difficult one for me. Mind you I just start out 3 years ago but I now have a few trees that, although still in grow boxes, I can easily see that they will be bonsai. However, I've never been able to get to the point where I can comfortably say that I can turn a rainbow eucalyptus tree into a bonsai.
CEB38772-2BCB-4C78-96BA-FEFDB7E5E024.jpegHere it is with large leaves, long internodes, and a propensity to drop branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yellow Bird of Paradise. I’ve done a little searching and have found nothing about this being bonsai’d or any attempts

The Tucson group has some interesting stuff like mesquite or palo verde, but no mention of this

So as far as I can find, I’m the first one to attempt this species; Caesalpinia gilliesii

Attachments

• CD5565B5-2F01-46F4-8ED1-E9D647E1D43E.jpeg
    CD5565B5-2F01-46F4-8ED1-E9D647E1D43E.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom