What's The Rush?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance, no one criticized Will for posting his trees. No one ever criticized him for not showing trees. Al simply pointed out that the thread was dealing with a subject with which the author may have been a little guilty of himself.

To which I responded:

In this case he used a classic example of Ad hominem (tu quoque) which is just a form of attacking a person by trying to claim that a person doesn't practice what he preaches and therefore his thoughts hold no weight, this is a false assumption and serves no good either in adding to the discussion or learning from it.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now, before this devolves further into a food fight, I would like to pile on here. ;)
of course....

Seriously, Al's post was not an ad hominem attack. When a preacher is in the pulpit, the congregation has every right to expect that he lives his life as he preaches. I learned this firsthand from both sides of the pulpit.
It certainly is a ad hominem attack by every definition, unless we are going to change definitions to suit or own opinions again? Stating that a persons words can not be valid because they don't practice what they preach is silly. If Richard Nixon said that breaking and entering is a bad thing to do, would that statement be wrong because he was involved in a breaking and entering? Even if I prematurely put trees in bonsai pots, it does not invalidate the statement I made that some people rush trees into pots...get it?

Make the argument for or against rushing a tree into a pot, but don't attack the person, and yes, Al's comments were an attack, a ad hominem attack, which only serves to move the subject to the person and away from the subject....for proof of this in action see this very post, he succeeded.

Chris, you are certainly intelligent enough to know this.

At Internet Bonsai Club, I told Will I would post a tree to the contest when he did. He immediately said he was going to do so. Being the guy who tries not to make claims he can't back up, I immediately backed down. Will was quite ungracious about it. Imagine my surprise when the remaining unknown trees were revealed and there was no Will Heath masterpiece to be seen!

Okay, big freaking deal. I'm over it. It turned into a great gallery of some great trees and some crap trees and a lot of trees that were very good. And I learned a good deal about the trees, the artists, the judges, and even myself as a result. So thanks.
Chris, this is not the first challenge you made and backed out of, I am surprised you brought it up though. I see no reason you were surprised at all, you said you would post a tree in the contest when I did, I agreed to and you backed out...why would you expect me to keep my end of an agreement after you backed out of the very challenge you yourself made? You challenged me, I accepted, you backed out....and I was ungracious?

Please.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
of course....

It certainly is a ad hominem attack by every definition, unless we are going to change definitions to suit or own opinions again? Stating that a persons words can not be valid because they don't practice what they preach is silly. If Richard Nixon said that breaking and entering is a bad thing to do, would that statement be wrong because he was involved in a breaking and entering? Even if I prematurely put trees in bonsai pots, it does not invalidate the statement I made that some people rush trees into pots...get it?

Make the argument for or against rushing a tree into a pot, but don't attack the person, and yes, Al's comments were an attack, a ad hominem attack, which only serves to move the subject to the person and away from the subject....for proof of this in action see this very post, he succeeded.

Chris, you are certainly intelligent enough to know this.

Chris, this is not the first challenge you made and backed out of, I am surprised you brought it up though. I see no reason you were surprised at all, you said you would post a tree in the contest when I did, I agreed to and you backed out...why would you expect me to keep my end of an agreement after you backed out of the very challenge you yourself made? You challenged me, I accepted, you backed out....and I was ungracious?

Please.

Will

I'd first like to know what other agreements I may have backed out of. Second, this was no agreement. I challenged you, you asserted that you were going to enter a tree. I made sure you and everyone else knew that I had no tree ready to enter, and you ridiculed me as if you had tree for the contest. Pattern?

Reaction score
I think that all the reasons that all the people rush trees into pots have been covered. Will good question,...everyone ,good answers.

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
well i'll add, i have a few (10 or so) that should never be in bonsai pots but are, simply because i dont have the space in the ground at the moment, and if another nursery pot makes an appearance at home or another group of flowers is mysteriously "replaced" by pre-bonsai stock then i will be without a girlfriend;-)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
well i'll add, i have a few (10 or so) that should never be in bonsai pots but are, simply because i dont have the space in the ground at the moment, and if another nursery pot makes an appearance at home or another group of flowers is mysteriously "replaced" by pre-bonsai stock then i will be without a girlfriend;-)

Get a bigger yard :D
Mom

Top Bottom