When to top JM

Mdpap1974

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum and to bonsai in general. I saw this weeping JM at Lowe’s for half price and couldn’t pass it up. I love its structure but am moving to a townhouse soon and will not have sufficient outdoor space so I want to reduce the size of my trees. My question is: When is the best time to top this tree? On the one hand, I would like to top it after the lower leaves have unfurled because I think the drop in auxin would cause budding on the bottom branches. On the other hand, the tree would lose a lot of sap and a large portion of its leaves. I’m thinking of just waiting until early winter so the nutrients from the upper leaves will be stored in the roots. I would value the advice of the forum members. Thanks!
MD30C38C7-B326-4FBC-8FE2-305A1F6C3C40.jpeg

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A third option could be to air layer it a little higher than your line. Nice chance to practice another bonsai technique and you'd potentially get a second tree for free.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the trunk and base of your tree the size that you want? If not, let it grow unpruned until you get the trunk girth you're looking for.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In my experience, threadleaf weeping palmatums are very difficult to air layer... my 0.02.
Yes, but people on this forum are in love with air layering... it seems to.be the cure for all bonsai woes here
:p

Top Bottom