Where to get Ficus Nerifolia in Europe?

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi,

The willow leaf ficus seems to be darling among ficus trees. I am however not able to find a place that sell them here in Switzerland or even in Europe. They also do not seem to be available as seeds.

Does someone know about a web shop that sells ficus nerifolia as smaller, inexpensive material?

Kind regards, Bonsan

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah I would love to know too, I have dropped hints elsewhere but I don't think the hint was comprehended. lol
Also Jerry Meislik at the time mentioned they don't grow from seed so there is that too.

While we are at it I'd also like to find some Ficus rubignosa over here too that have not been trained into a 2 meter straight trunk.
So yeah if anyone knows about either I' would love to know.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guys,

look for - willow leaf figs - there are supposed be quite a few types world wide.
The one we have weeps as a mature tree.
Exists in Venezuela as well, and grows by seed.

Starfox you might luck out since Venezuelans are Spanish and if you Google
there is a Venezuelan Bonsai Site on-line.
Good Day
Anthony

* see if you are getting your seed from 3000 feet up at Caracas.
Much more cold tolerant.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah there are a couple, Ficus salicifolia springs to mind and in looking for that it seems to be a subsp. of cordata.

Interestingly I have just found some seed from Germany of salicifolia and cordata so I have ordered them along with a few more Eucalyptus I don't have as well as some Leopard tree seeds. I found a post on wee trees forum from someone and they had germination success so I'm at least optimistic.
This is the link in case someone finds it useful.... http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/index.php

Even more interestingly the contact is Peter Krebs, I wonder if it is the same guy as the potter Peter Krebs?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
They do exist in Europe, I have done some basic searches on a Spanish forum and people do have them plus there is a guy on Ficus Study Group(facebook) who I reckon has some. I should probably just straight out ask him.

I spent some two years looking for one. Then found my salicaria on eBay and this is the seller...
http://www.beck-bonsai.de/artikelauswahl.php?kat=Highlights~Neu+im+Shop

...same with btazilian rain trees here, no way to get one. :(

Same I have been looking for a BRT too with no luck, that seed shop I linked to has some listed but none in stock. To be fair I haven't done a big search yet, hopefully some seed at least will show up. I know they can go by two different names which doesn't help.
Not sure on the EU rules for importing seed and it is likely the Spanish have their own set of rules.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Peter,

around April/May would you like to try an Ironwood?
It's the one I have shown.

If yes, I will happily post seed for April /May.
Good Day
Anthony

* No thorns by the way and I don't know about it's cold tolerance.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure on the EU rules for importing seed and it is likely the Spanish have their own set of rules.
Oh, rules, I didn't know they existed within EU member countries, have had some pines seeds shipping refused from USA so far.

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Peter,

around April/May would you like to try an Ironwood?
It's the one I have shown.

If yes, I will happily post seed for April /May.
Good Day
Anthony

* No thorns by the way and I don't know about it's cold tolerance.
Thank you, Anthony, is that anything similar? Uncle Google says https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironwood and I'm lost.:eek:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Oh, rules, I didn't know they existed within EU member countries, have had some pines seeds shipping refused refused so far.

For the most part within the EU is a free for all but it is when you buy from outside I am not sure what they exactly are aside from added VAT. Seeds are pretty easy to post so it's worth a shot buying from the US or something.

There is a seed shop based in the Canaries which is part of Spain that will send everywhere worldwide except for the Spanish mainland because of local rules. I sent them to my in-laws in France instead to forward to us.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, found that, @Anthony.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ironwood-working-towards-ramification.26688/ , gorgeous tree, tempting...
My wife has a colleague at work who grows some really weird plants. Every species have a different period of flowering. So he has always full cellar of bulbs and those flowering right now are in his apartment. He sells and exchange them with many people. But the point...few weeks ago he had some parcel from Ukraine held by customs...a phyto expert was called to check it...saying they're potatoes and the parcel was sent back. Then the expert tried to charge the recipient for the expertise, lol...

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Prior to starting this thread I have made at least two attempts at sourcing them in Europe. Within the german speaking area they seem to b known under the following names:

-Oleanderblättriger Gummibaum
-Ficus neriifolia
-Ficus sikkimensis
-Ficus subulata
-ficus salicifolia
-Willow leaf fig

until today, all I could find were some care instruction. Nobody had them in stock. But today I have found this shop in germany.
http://www.bonsai-armbruster.de/epages/78084781.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78084781/Products/0311
90 USD, 15 inches high with a 1.3 inch stem. Its been developed, but still rather pricy.

Most of the people on forums seem to have gotten them at big box stores.

Kind regards, Bonsan

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was also searching for one for several months since all ficus do well in the climate of southern Greece and grow very fast. They grow so fast that if planted in the ground, near buildings they can easily destroy underground plumbing.

All I could find was microcarpa, benjamina and nitida both in specialized nurseries and big box stores. In the end I decided to try my luck with a US seller on ebay and ordered a rooted cutting. Luckily it arrived after one week with USPS in perfect condition. I will let it grow freely for at least two seasons (in Athens' climate the growing season for ficus is from May to end of September). After that I will be able to supply fellow Salicaria fans on this side of the pond.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's strange they're so rare in Europe comparing to US. After one season I've got only one rooted cutting from propagation.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi, Pantelis!
Much more than the end of September, I would say.
Mine has been growing well into late October.
Nice, little, reddish leaflets at the tips :)

Alexandra you have been growing one for several years now so you know better! I am worried that it may be a little more cold sensitive compared to the indestructible benjaminas. I have placed it inside a small heated greenhouse until next spring.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's strange they're so rare in Europe comparing to US. After one season I've got only one rooted cutting from propagation.

It is also strange that one cannot find a picture of this type of ficus growing in the ground. Knowing that ficus roots can be destructive I will attempt to plant a cutting in the ground in my summer house in Crete (temperatures reach freezing once every ten years, max), away from structures and see what happens. I already have a benjamina which has grown into a tree.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Yeah I don't get it, especially the salicifolia sp. As it is an African species I would of thought they would be all over southern Europe. It's funny but Ficus as bonsai in general doesn't seem to go beyond mallsai here despite having a nearly perfect climate for them and the fact they are planted everywhere as street trees.

Same goes for the PJF(rubignosa), possibly the best sp. for bonsai, readily available kind of and no one uses them.

That said I will take my chances with the seed, 68 euro for that one linked above is too much for my liking. Maybe a business opportunity in this for whoever is inclined.

Last edited:

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah I don't get it, especially the salicifolia sp. As it is an African species I would of thought they would be all over southern Europe. It's funny but Ficus as bonsai in general doesn't seem to go beyond mallsai here despite having a nearly perfect climate for them and the fact they are planted everywhere as street trees.

Same goes for the PJF(rubignosa), possibly the best sp. for bonsai, readily available kind of and no one uses them.

That said I will take my chances with the seed, 68 euro for that one linked above is too much for my liking. Maybe a business opportunity in this for whoever is inclined.

I have read in this forum and elsewhere that salicaria/salicifolia in nurseries has not produced viable seeds and is propagated by cuttings. It seems strange that someone is selling seeds. You can try your luck with a cutting from the seller I bought mine from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willow-lea...inches-tall-/151514305128?hash=item2346f4d268

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I guess it all depends on the original source of the seeds, all Ficus must produce viable seeds somewhere. Yeah I get that they are not going to without the exact pollinating wasp but surely a good importer can source them.

As I said earlier I found a post elsewhere from someone who seemingly purchased and germinated some from the link I gave so I'm happy to at least give it a shot.

Top Bottom