White Grubs!

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My fellow B-Nutters:
I have several trees growing out in my grow garden. One of them is this prunus yamadori collected in March 2014. Here it is:
20150516-1.jpg
Some of the leaves were not doing well: curling up, browning, dying back. I thought it was a fungal infestation, and sprayed with neem a few months ago, then copper a couple of weeks ago. The problem persisted.
I was poking around the roots tonight, and noticed some movement, so I removed some soil from around the base, and saw a white grub burrowing under the bark of one of the main roots. Under it was a mass of reddish-orange eggs. I removed the eggs and got the grub out.
Here it is:
20150708.jpg
Of course I mashed the little peckerhead into a white pulp with extreme prejudice immediately after taking the photo.

I did some poking around the web, and came up with a possible ID: http://dkbdigitaldesigns.com/clm/species/otiorhynchus_sulcatus

It's the larval stage of a beetle. If it's not this specific species, it is something very similar in look and behavior. According to the web site, it eats roots, especially in lawns and mulched areas.

My questions are; has anyone had this problem? Could it be the cause of the curling, browning leaves? What can be done about any other culprits lurking under the soil?

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
chose your poison: use a soil drench. Bayer Advanced has stuff just for this. Homemade nicotine drenches work too, be careful with the nicotine. I use to make a tea out of used cig butts--very potent --don't spray it if possible and if you do use resp. and full clothing, gloves and eye pro.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definately, some type of beetle grub. Yes they eat roots on there way up. Is this your source of browning leaves? Hard to say. The leaves in the tree pictured look healthy. Good news---grubs are probably up and out now. Research soil treatment for grub you believe is present. Local county extension maybe able to help.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
But it's July already. Didn't this grubby little guy get the memo?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are in the soil all over here where I live. That also brings the moles. We used to use the grubs for fishing when we were kids.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
those would probably be Japanese beetle larvae if it was around the mid Atlantic region. It is indicated if you notice patches of dead grass in your lawn. I read that you can buy and treat your lawn with beneficial nematodes, which take care of the problem. Perhaps they, being Japanese, are going back to their "roots" in your pots...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you can also eat those if you want, i saw Bear Grylls eat something simular.

Top Bottom