Who is your single source of truth on bald cypress care and styling techniques?

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Who is "the single source of truth"? Why get you body into a canoe or a flatboat and go see them for yourself. Nature is "the only authority that counts". And bald cypress grow differently in different environments.
Agreed. The best inspiration comes from where you live.

I keep thinking about a bald cypress bonsai in Houston. The base of the tree was bizarre and unappealing to me. Then I spoke with the artist who showed me photos of trees growing in the same way in the Houston area. Suddenly, I loved his tree.

We need to do more to represent the natural styles in our own area than imitating the styles of Japanese bonsai. After all, they're representing the natural styles in Japan.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Agreed. The best inspiration comes from where you live.

I keep thinking about a bald cypress bonsai in Houston. The base of the tree was bizarre and unappealing to me. Then I spoke with the artist who showed me photos of trees growing in the same way in the Houston area. Suddenly, I loved his tree.

We need to do more to represent the natural styles in our own area than imitating the styles of Japanese bonsai. After all, they're representing the natural styles in Japan.
You post resonates well with me.
I have seen bald cypress in many different environments. The tree is very adaptive. For me I am leaning more toward the natural styles as well. Thankfully I have plenty of mental images of bald cypress to lean on.

Top Bottom