Why is it...I seem to see far more exposed root examples of Bonsai from places like Hong Kong than ones in the states

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste i noticed this while travelling south east asia

I posted my experience here, where there is only tangential discussion to your current question.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/m...a-bonsai-vs-japan-the-west.35340/#post-592595
Thanks for the link...that was posted in September. Which is why I didn't see it. Was dealing with the health of my father then. Intriguing...those trees you mentioned standing on its roots. I expect was exposed root style.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mostly you don't see neagari style trees in the U.S. because they don't sell. That's particularly true for very good or excellent (and expensive) exposed root trees. Sellers that deal in higher end trees know they will probably have to hang on to exposed root trees as those examples "find" the right buyer.
Makes sense...slow to sell material is money tied up.

D

Deleted member 21616

...those trees you mentioned standing on its roots. I expect was exposed root style.

the trees i saw looked like the attached photo, but imagine the rock elevated several inches off the ground, stilted by the roots that continue below it, with a footprint narrower than the perimeter of the rock, the engulfed rock thus forming an obvious bulge in the trunk/root transition. it was a very popular design.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 34

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't have access to interesting rocks or I would have a dozen root over rock in the works. Having more tropical trees would help also, they are just a pain in winter. I have multiple potted root cuttings that are contorted and will one day be exposed. It is all personal taste and money. I love the contorted exposed roots on small trees (shohin and smaller) but not usually on larger. Root over rock I like if done well and it can be done well at any size.

If you are not actively searching out how other countries (outside of Japan) are growing 'trees in pots' you are missing out. Searching through images and videos related to Hon Non Bo and Penjing have been truly inspiring.

I hope in the next 10 years we will see more well executed expsed roots. If I don't kill them, there be some in my backyard.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't have access to interesting rocks or I would have a dozen root over rock in the works. Having more tropical trees would help also, they are just a pain in winter. I have multiple potted root cuttings that are contorted and will one day be exposed. It is all personal taste and money. I love the contorted exposed roots on small trees (shohin and smaller) but not usually on larger. Root over rock I like if done well and it can be done well at any size.

If you are not actively searching out how other countries (outside of Japan) are growing 'trees in pots' you are missing out. Searching through images and videos related to Hon Non Bo and Penjing have been truly inspiring.

I hope in the next 10 years we will see more well executed expsed roots. If I don't kill them, there be some in my backyard.
You don't got no rocks? The world is lousy with rocks. There are parking lot and boulevard bunkers and other landscaping features with nice river-washed stones in most shopping centers. Look, and you will see.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok, very few rocks I really like. I have a very small pile I have been gathering over the last 2 years. Just haven't figured out how I want to use them yet.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I need to look those up. Thanks for the suggestion. I've not looked that route. Yes...would be great to see more well executed ones in years to come.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably a lot to do with plant varieties available there, and how they tend to grow naturally. Ficus and sheffellera grow with a lot of exposed roots. The penjing style is also more encouraging of unusual features. There is a difference between good neagari and bad Bonsai where surface roots are showing that belie the appearance of age. Done right, it’s an interesting feature, but no need to build a collection of them. I have 1 neagari, and 1 root over rock, and that’s plenty for my taste.
View attachment 224329View attachment 224328
I agree.

Some unusual trees are good for “variety”, they break the monotony of having a large number of “classical” styled bonsai. But, like dessert, they shouldn’t be the entire meal!

In this category, I would put neagri, extreme ROR, extreme pancake nebari, cork bark pines, super sumo shohin, etc.

A whole garden of nothing but these would be like going to the freak show at the carnival. But, having them interspersed in amongst the traditional bonsai makes the garden interesting and engaging.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree.

Some unusual trees are good for “variety”, they break the monotony of having a large number of “classical” styled bonsai. But, like dessert, they shouldn’t be the entire meal!

In this category, I would put neagri, extreme ROR, extreme pancake nebari, cork bark pines, super sumo shohin, etc.

A whole garden of nothing but these would be like going to the freak show at the carnival. But, having them interspersed in amongst the traditional bonsai makes the garden interesting and engaging.
About half my collection has some sort of freak thing going on with the roots, possibly to much of a quirky thing. But...I do like them. I think...I may be broken in my mind set.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
About half my collection has some sort of freak thing going on with the roots, possibly to much of a quirky thing. But...I do like them. I think...I may be broken in my mind set.

Try to develop the perfect surface roots on one maple, one elm, and one pine.

That will keep you busy for a while, and it will still be root work while being a different type of root work!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Anyone with more experience could you add to why this is? just curious...if ones are more accepting of the exposed root/Neagari style over there than here. Or am I just in the right circles to be seeing more of this style in America?
I don't have much experience in bonsai. However, growing up in Asia and traveling to some Asian countries have taught me that there is a much higher level of interest in the exotic look there than in the West. Mind you the classic looks are also treasured but I have also seen trees with weird roots formation that are sold for well over $100,000 US dollars. I have also seen acres of trees planted with exposed roots in plan.

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And azalea. Azalea make wonderful radial nebari.
Wait I'm confused now. Are you being sarcastic?
I always thought Azalea nebari are hard to get right and radial.
Do you use the same method as for maples?

As for the Neagari creation, I think it's a combination of cultural differences and humidity.
I only have 1 in my collection, but that kinda makes it special :p

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wait I'm confused now. Are you being sarcastic?
I always thought Azalea nebari are hard to get right and radial.
Do you use the same method as for maples?

As for the Neagari creation, I think it's a combination of cultural differences and humidity.
I only have 1 in my collection, but that kinda makes it special :p
No, no sarcasm. Azalea are easy to get good nebari. They try to send up suckers from shallow roots. (They ARE bushes, after all!). Just cut the suckers off. They’l. Send out more suckers. Cut them off. Eventually, the mass from those surface roots make a wide spreading nebari.

Crepe Myrtle does the same thing.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This will go on my list for sure. I'm planning to put one on a board soon.
Good luck with that! I wouldn’t use that technique with an azalea. Their roots are a sold mass of fibrous matter. Like a sponge! They also prefer to have a bit of depth when in a pot. See my post above for developing azalea nebari.

Top Bottom