Put some trees outdoors last week and don't seem to be doing great. Thoughts?

biomanz

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought a Japanese Maple and Korean Hornbeam a week ago from an indoor bonsai store where it was near a window and looked healthy, with all green leaves. A week outdoors and the maple's leaves are turning whitish and dry, and the Hornbeam has a few leaves yellowing slowly.

A Privet tree I bought online was kept indoors for a couple months and doing good, growing buds quickly with green leaves. A week outdoors and about a quarter of its leaves and some stems are turning dark purple and soft.

A schefflera (no pics atm) is having leaves turn near-transparent white and slow-growing or not at all. It was kept indoors with the Privet and was doing ok before.

Weather here in CA was mid 60's F' high and dipping below 50 nights, although the last couple days were foggy and pretty wet. The store owner said the maple and hornbeam "probably" needs fertilizing which I just added today, and was repotted a year ago - has pretty compact dirt soil but still drains ok, albeit slower than my Privet's Tinyroots soil blend. I don't see any pests are spider webs in all trees.

I'm hoping it's just a case of adjusting to the sudden transition outdoors but what do you think?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it's a case of sunburn. Windows filter out a LOT of those sunrays.
Next time, don't take them indoors or do the transition a lot slower: full shade, half shade, partial shade, full sun or still partial shade over the course of at least 3-4 weeks. 6 weeks or slower can be better sometimes.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Definitely sounds like Sunburn... if it doesn’t fully “claim” the life of the effected, it WILL cause die back AND/OR a flash “dormancy” for the tougher species..

I lost an entire table last spring.. only the pomegranates survived... but they “slept” for 42(ish)days.

Now I am SUPER careful.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why was a Japanese maple bonsai growing indoors? Was it a greenhouse? A good way to learn is on cheep nursery stock. When I first started I bought some expensive trees from a bonsai nursery and killed almost all of them…. To save them I just planted in ground lol and started buying cheep nursery stock and seeds to learn with.

biomanz

Seedling
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like Sunburn... if it doesn’t fully “claim” the life of the effected, it WILL cause die back AND/OR a flash “dormancy” for the tougher species..

I lost an entire table last spring.. only the pomegranates survived... but they “slept” for 42(ish)days.

Now I am SUPER careful.
It actually does seem like sunburn now that I see the rear side of the Maple and Hornbeam (facing the wall) are still looking green and lush. Should I bring them back indoors to try acclimating it with partial sun (i don't have fully shaded areas), or is the damage already done during the week it's been out? How bad would the damage be within a week, roughly speaking?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No! Not inside!! ;)

I would leave it in bright shade for a day or three... THEN start SLOWLY exposing them to direct sun, one hour, increasing intervals each day until 6-7 hours. the full effect of sunburn, in my experience, will be observable by 7(ish) days...

Say nice things to your plant... boost it’s confidence!

🤓

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe use a sheet or something to filter the light through for a while. Shade cloth is what should be used. The bonsai nursery I go to has most of all their deciduous trees under shade cloth with full sun. I don’t think most maples would do well in full direct sun unless they are in the ground.

biomanz

Seedling
Reaction score
No! Not inside!! ;)

I would leave it in bright shade for a day or three... THEN start SLOWLY exposing them to direct sun, one hour, increasing intervals each day until 6-7 hours. the full effect of sunburn, in my experience, will be observable by 7(ish) days...

Say nice things to your plant... boost it’s confidence!

🤓
Hehe, I tucked them in the shadiest corner I have with a cardboard for extra shading. I'm at work from morning to 5 so will have to wait til the weekend to expose them to direct morning sun (facing east) for a couple hrs Saturday, then 3-4 hrs Sun if that works. Hoping the sunburn effects aren't much worse after next week o_O
20210606_150858.jpg

biomanz

Seedling
Reaction score
Why was a Japanese maple bonsai growing indoors? Was it a greenhouse? A good way to learn is on cheep nursery stock. When I first started I bought some expensive trees from a bonsai nursery and killed almost all of them…. To save them I just planted in ground lol and started buying cheep nursery stock and seeds to learn with.
The store does look a bit like a greenhouse, and the owner had those trees for over a year. I assumed facing east would be enough "shade" but ofc it wasn't. Figured I'll make some costly mistakes sooner or later like with other hobbies and don't have the patience planting from seed, so took the risk.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Full-sun, I believe (I’ll check before I post 🤣), is defined as 6 or more hours of sun-light per day.... The Maples I care for receive 6-8 throughout summer.

Shade cloths DO help, while also retaining deeper and more vivid foliar colors, i believe this is a bonus for the nurseries! 🤣 Prettier leaves sell faster.

Attachments

• C1BA8448-C235-4E24-9983-A1C75EC5FAD7.png
    C1BA8448-C235-4E24-9983-A1C75EC5FAD7.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 3

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Full-sun, I believe (I’ll check before I post 🤣), is defined as 6 or more hours of sun-light per day.... The Maples I care for receive 6-8 throughout summer.

Shade cloths DO help, while also retaining deeper and more vivid foliar colors, i believe this is a bonus for the nurseries! 🤣 Prettier leaves sell faster.
Wow 6 hours is full sun. That doesn’t make sense. I guess they are referring to the necessary amount of direct sun to keep plants that require “full sun” alive. It makes sense my pines only get 6-7 hours and do fine. Not fantastic though I wish I had more sun. I don’t consider 6 hours full sun though. More like minimum 8. But that’s me lol. When people say full sun I figure it’s 8 hours or more.
The place I go to get bonsai material receives light from dawn to dusk. Direct light all day. Situated on top of a hill. I guess that’s considered “fuller sun.” Lol
I have a red maple growing in full shade it gets 1 hour of sun maybe and has beautiful green veins with dark red/purple foliage. It’s 15 years old. Very healthy. I think finding the right amount of shade and sun light is key with Japanese maples. Specially to bring out characteristics.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow 6 hours is full sun. That doesn’t make sense. I guess they are referring to the necessary amount of direct sun to keep plants that require “full sun” alive. It makes sense my pines only get 6-7 hours and do fine. Not fantastic though I wish I had more sun. I don’t consider 6 hours full sun though. More like minimum 8. But that’s me lol. When people say full sun I figure it’s 8 hours or more.
The place I go to get bonsai material receives light from dawn to dusk. Direct light all day. Situated on top of a hill. I guess that’s considered “fuller sun.” Lol
I have a red maple growing in full shade it gets 1 hour of sun maybe and has beautiful green veins with dark red/purple foliage. It’s 15 years old. Very healthy. I think finding the right amount of shade and sun light is key with Japanese maples. Specially to bring out characteristics.
Oh absolutely! I’m out in the Wilderness, often.. so MY particular idea of full sun, is JUST as you’ve stated.. all of it! All the sun! 🤣🤣

Just in “horticultural terminology” it is at LEAST 6.

As you’ve stated.. if you observe where they WILL grow, naturally.. you get a better idea. ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they were healthy at the store, I would just prune em and defoliate em...

Depending where you are.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Weather here in CA .....

Please put your location on your profile so we don't have to keep asking you where you are.
Also, California is a big state with significantly different climate in northern CA vs southern.
Appropriate advice can be different depending on where you are.
So please give the town or some indication where in CA you are.

Thanks

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Whenever I hear "inside Bonsai " I know there is always a concern for their wellbeing.
It is different from outdoor Bonsai trees, like a" culture - shock". I agree with letting the trees get acclimatised fairly slowly. I have had the same problem ; I found keeping the little trees outside in the shade, really helped, warmth without the glare and extra heat of the full sun.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bare in mind that those leaves that are toasted are history. They will drop and the plants will, with proper care, grow new leaves. Just like your skin when it was sunburned.
When I was a young adult I destroyed some beautiful houseplants by trying to do them a favor and putting them in the sun. Fortunately it is a lesson easily learned and it is unlikely you will repeat it.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bare in mind that those leaves that are toasted are history. They will drop and the plants will, with proper care, grow new leaves. Just like your skin when it was sunburned.
When I was a young adult I destroyed some beautiful houseplants by trying to do them a favor and putting them in the sun. Fortunately it is a lesson easily learned and it is unlikely you will repeat it.
What if you put aloe on the leaves? Jk lol

Top Bottom