Why wounds don't heal on conifers?

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
Or should i say: why wounds heal/seal so slowly on most conifers? I think that's the main reason why people create jin and shari: because it would take ages to heal even a small wounds on most conifers (with exception of cedrus deodara and cedrus atlantica). At least that's the case with my conifers.
I have no issues with most deciduous trees: field maple heals very fast. Field elm and hornbeam both also heal pretty quick if you are wiling to sacrifice some branches or the top of the tree to grow for a two or three seasons without pruning them. The only exception here is hawthorn. Most tropical species can heal even faster if i am not mistaken.
That is why i prefer deciduous trees: i can count on them :), which i cannot say for conifers. There is always a dilemma: should i pick up this pine with 2 cm wide and 5 cm long wound or not? How can i be sure that wound will get healed (sealed) completely over next few years? If i let the tree to grow 2 or 3 meters in high, would that help me to heal/seal the wound? Am i really forced to create jin or shari which is not "my style" really. There is not such dilemma with deciduous trees : i know that kind of wound will get healed sooner or later on most deciduous. (hawthorn being exception here).
So, guys, could you recommend me any conifer/s with fast healing cycle, if there is one? I know from my personal experiences that pinus sylvestris is definitly not on the list :)
Sorry for English ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom