Why yes! Mine is bigger than Adair's!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Does Sam have a website or contact? Is it possible he has an ebay account too?

Not that I'm aware of, but he does a lot of work with Blue Oak Bonsai in Modesto. You might try contacting him through them.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Interesting factoid about these old olive trees in California. If you have an old collected one like this, it's sure to be a "Mission Olive". Before 1875, they were pretty much the only cultivar in the state. They're called such because they're named after the Fransiscan missionaries who first introduced the olive in California. They created the Mission cultivar, the only American cultivar of European olive. However, it is unlikely that it's related to any of the Spanish cultivars. Instead, its more closely related to Picholine Marocaine, a Moroccan olive.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Olives make great small trees as well. I'm training this one as a clump. It's hard to tell from this picture, but the nebari is just an inch or so smaller than the pot it's in.

IMG_9570.JPG

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting factoid about these old olive trees in California. If you have an old collected one like this, it's sure to be a "Mission Olive". Before 1875, they were pretty much the only cultivar in the state. They're called such because they're named after the Fransiscan missionaries who first introduced the olive in California. They created the Mission cultivar, the only American cultivar of European olive. However, it is unlikely that it's related to any of the Spanish cultivars. Instead, its more closely related to Picholine Marocaine, a Moroccan olive.

Scott
@markyscott the reason what I wanted an olive so badly, is the story behind them. It's a mythical tree, from ancient times. Awesome !!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think Blue Oak is out of business. Sam is on Facebook...

Should've guessed - it's been a lot of years since I lived in that area so my info is way out of date. Thanks for the update Paul.

Scott

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nothing is like the bark of the Majorcan wild olive!
Ullastre mallorquin has also very small and roundish leaves which differs from other olive trees var. sylvestris.

Photographs from Angel Mota's gallery

jardin2008-4.jpg

jardin2008-20.jpg

jardin2008-36.jpg

jardin2008-113-1.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Their technique for "sincronización" results in very dense ramification.
You have any contacts for getting a decent tree off them?

I love the one in this tread, and would love to get alarge one!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
There is a guy on FB... I cannot recall his name..., but I believe you can find some trees at "Bonsai Ullastre" on FB
If I remember anything more I will post.
... ...I love the one in this tread, and would love to get alarge one!
As I wrote above these are trees of Angel Mota. You can contact him on his webpage or on FB

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ready for spring. Danny Coffey came to Houston to help me with the dead wood on the behemoth. He did an excellent job. It’s essentially a massive olive burl with a crazy twisted live vein that snakes all over the thing and super-complex grain directions that changes by the inch.

Here’s a before and after.
62A93119-8DE9-473D-B7CD-66ED503C54B8.jpeg9D5481A1-616B-456E-A83F-C8D3960DCD54.jpeg

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That last shot with the hose really shows the detail of the carving... outstanding!

Danny did a fantastic job. Every once in a while I’m reminded of my limitations.

S

Top Bottom