11th Floor JBPs

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you Anthony, I hope they'll be fine next spring too. We are a little bit more to the North of their natural occurrence, but som people grow them. And the seedlings are surving.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow. Must have been in a greenhouse! My trees are still dormant!!

You pushed the envelope with repotting so late. It's better to be too early than too late.

I put my JBP right back into full sun after repotting. But, They were in full sun before I repot, so they're used to it! Your trees should do fine in 1/2 day sun.

Start fertilizing in a month.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You pushed the envelope with repotting so late. It's better to be too early than too late.

I put my JBP right back into full sun after repotting. But, They were in full sun before I repot, so they're used to it! Your trees should do fine in 1/2 day sun.

Start fertilizing in a month.
Thank you, now I can only hope... But I couldn't do it earlier. I had to do it immediately after delivery or put it off for next year. I'm afraid I wouldn't get them through all seasons potted in peat moss. OK the sun is still not hot so I put them on the rail. I'll turn them around now and then to expose all the trees to the sun. But will leave the side with "bad" soil on the sunny side preferably. I suppose all the candles and new growth should be let run. Will inform here how it goes.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. I've got some unglazed pots ready for these. Trully, this is the best price I could find in the circle of 1000 km. They look healthy, come from Spain, sold in Germany... Found some more expensive in similar soil with upper akadama layer, or initially styled...

I don't know why, but my balcony turns into a pine alley after this winter. Saying after this winter, because most of them spent it as shown. My deciduous trees are happy with less sun exposure.

Agree with great view:cool:. What is thick trunk pjne with long unruly needles in picture? Trees look pretty good for lack of sun you have. Compliments;).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree with great view:cool:. What is thick trunk pjne with long unruly needles in picture? Trees look pretty good for lack of sun you have. Compliments;).
It looks to be a JWP grafted onto JBP stock.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would have guessed Ponderosa or something longer needled but does kind of look like 5 needles after blowing up picture;).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would have guessed Ponderosa or something longer needled but does kind of look like 5 needles after blowing up picture;).
That, and the two different barks between the lower trunk and upper trunk. I've seen a lot of those. I own one myself!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you, it's this pine:
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/11th-floor-jwps.22436/
I think it's not the light related problem. It's as it was acquired last year. I will share some collected when they start filling up.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Reading as much I can I've found this article:
http://bonsaitonight.com/2015/04/14/repotting-black-pine-in-nursery-soil/
If the author doesn't mind I insert the copy of the very last paragraph:

After repotting

I began fertilizing the tree a few weeks after repotting and am now feeding heavily in anticipation of decandling later this spring. I’ll think about removing the rest of the old soil in a year or two depending on how the tree grows in the meantime.

Not being in hurry. The fundamental thing is the health of my trees. Sure, they need to pick up the strength, grow needles and roots. I don't intend decandling this year. But... Looking at the trees there're a big portions of trunks and green that will be left to grow as sacrifice branches (SBs). Wouldn't it be enough to let SBs run free for their health and strength? I worry if all lower branches needed to build the tree are too long and sparse the problem will arise... Another choice is pinching candles in lower part, what would you say?

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
I won't enter in burning roots with fertilizer themes,but you shouldn't fertilize now for a simple reason that fertilizers are not working on
temp that you are having now and it would be a waste . I'm far south then you are and still we won't enter those temp for at least two weeks. Talking about some min of 15 C (60F) for chemicals and 18C (65F) for organics.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you Dalmat, this is clear, I'll start fert in the middle of April. And I'm still trying to make the plan...next possible safe steps.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These two pines seem to be well. Tough lil' trees... Came from a greenhouse in March with the growth underway, HBR repotted, shocked by weather changes and cooling down, shuffled for few nights below freezing...
I've already started fertilizing, some 4-5 weeks after repotting. The candles development was stopped for some time by temps, but actually they're elongating and opening, changing every day... I'm afraid it will become a bulletproof bush soon.
2016_0430_12280600.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, here we're after the first season. I've had no problem with keeping them in two kinds of soil so far. I know, the winter will be decisive...

This one grown for shohin... I did some work today, cut lower branches from SB, wired for the first time, opened the interior and selected first skeleton of a new tree. I was surprised finding it more brittle than my JRP. The SB will be left for one more year at least. A new trunk top will be grown as SB too. As for the front, I'll see how the other side will look and heal after SB is removed.
2016_1003_12195600.jpg

2016_1003_12204100.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's the second one I'd like to let grow into a bigger tree. It'll be repotted to the bigger pot next spring. It's got two SBs. I'm taking it to our club to get some help which front to follow and then I'll be able to put some wire on and remove some branches. What would you suggest?
2016_1003_12233600.jpg...A 2016_1003_12240400.jpg ...B
2016_1003_12242800.jpg ...C
2016_1003_12242800.jpg ...D

Attachments

• 2016_1003_12245600.jpg
    2016_1003_12245600.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Dirk. And just for a record, here's my seedling, wired for the first time...very slow but it spent two previous winters in the ground here in 6A.
IMAG1042.jpg

Top Bottom