Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great, thanks Gary!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Glad you updated this thread Gary, gave me a chance to see a technique that Ive read much about, but not alot of pics. Very impressive nebari and trunk base.

If one wanted a larger tree Gary, what size tiles and how many holes/seedlings do you use?

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
gary what zone are you in?
i gotta get on this trident band wagon.
or maybe amur?
anybody with amur pictures comparitable to these guys?
thanks
p

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
are you doing root work now?
and to what extent?
thanks
painter

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ Fore
I do two configurations with tiles, single tree and five trees. The size of the tile is 4" regardless of the intended size of he tree. The tile is only there to start the base in the right direction and without regular rootwork a few strong roots will become dominant. Think of it like the spokes of a wheel. the farther away from the base the wider the spaces. Everyone has their own appreciation of what a base should look like and this technique is at one end of the spectrum and basically doing nothing is at the other end.

@Painter
As far as zone, I don't know, I'm guessing Z7. Oregon, foothills of the Cascades and zone changes can occur in a few feet depending on elevation. Climate zones are a crude guide for growing trees. Gives you an idea of minimum winter temps but there are so many other variables for good growing that are just as important. I do rootwork in the fall but the trees are greenhouse protected with high humidity. Funny story, I worked this tree 11-8-12 and looked at the potting tag afterward and it was potted 11-8-10 with surface rootwork nov. last year

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 346

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm cheating a little but wanted to finish this thread and now is as good a time as any. This is not the previous tree but one a couple of years older. This is it's first bonsai pot, a 12" mica for training and it's now time to slow it down and build the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 363

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm cheating a little but wanted to finish this thread and now is as good a time as any. This is not the previous tree but one a couple of years older. This is it's first bonsai pot, a 12" mica for training and it's now time to slow it down and build the tree.

Wow. :eek: I love that nebari... Nice!!!

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You mentioned that you prefer your technique (trees thru & over tiles) with root-work at proper times to planting on a dish and leaving the roots to grow.

How often do you root prune? In the first couple of years in the Rootmaker bags w/ small particle soil, are you pruning every year? (In the fall? If so, is there a reason for that other than you can get away with it at that time in the PNW?)

Also, you mention that you use rooted cuttings to plant through tiles. Is there additional vigor from the cuttings compared to seedlings?

My last question (for now): What soils do you use in the different stages of growth?

kostasd87

Seedling
Reaction score
Angled rooting

Hi all, hello Gary!

This is probably the most informative forum post about creating nebarious pre-bonsai from young plants, congratulations on your work!

I'm currently trying to sum things up and make a guide out of this forum post for the Greek Bonsai Community. Gary, I hope you don't mind if I use some of your pictures to illustrate it (always with clear reference to the source).

In return, I post a raw JPG I made with MSPaint to illustrate the process of angled rooting you describe on post #16.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with the rest of the world!

Kostas

View attachment 64915

Attachments

• Angled rooting.jpg
    Angled rooting.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 199
Top Bottom