2017 From Seed.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Fascinating...
I wonder if you would get different results keeping them at a shorter simulated photoperiod (8-9hrs) indoors, and moving them out when the daylight exceeded those hours. I don't know how sensitive crabs are to other to other environmental ques like temperature, but it might be enought to convince the seedlings that the year is yet young.
Yup quite the obvious learning curve. Within a week or 2 I noticed the colors changing and some drying up. Next winter no more than 8 hrs of light. I might put them on 12 as they germinate and start to push real leaves, but get them down to 8hrs once they get going and let them stay indoors a few extra weeks. They've lost 2 months of growing due to this mishap. Theres still a solid 2 or 3 left of the season for them to recover so we'll see what haps, I'll also be giving them a little extra protection this winter too and keep my fingers crossed

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have many trident maples I planted this spring and now they are 4-6 inches tall with 3 pairs of leaves and the cotyledon still intact on some. The little trunks are lignifying. Some are in flats and others are in cells. Should I slip pot them into a good mix or leave them in the cells for the rest of the year? The reason for wanting to do so is to minimize the dessication of roots that are exiting the drainage holes on these meager seed starter trays. My prior and only other attempt at TM was not successful so I'm looking out to keep them going but is it too late to move them into larger pots?

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Orange trees.

6 small oranges (about 1 inch diameter) given to me by a colleague. He has had an orange tree in his office for 7 years, and it's incredible. Full, vigorous, welling with fruit each spring/summer.

He insisted that I simply plant the whole orange, rather than clean and peel seeds, so I did (he is my departmental chair, so sometimes it's 'effective' to listen to the boss).

Only one seed (thus far) has germinated from each whole orange. There are two more buried in the pot that have done nothing.

We shall see how they do over the remainder of the summer an inside over the winter!
IMG_1039.JPG

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@zelk I can't answer your questions but I hope we get an answer. I need to do me some TM next year. Maybe @markyscott could help?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This seems like as good a place as any. (If its not, I won't be offended if the post gets pulled.) Anyone interested in swapping seedlings for Zelkova seedlings? I'm not looking for anything in particular. I'm always interested in Maples. I'm covered up in JBP seedlings and shimpaku starter material, but if you had some JRP we might could deal.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In March I started over 30 ginkgo seeds collected from a local park. I didn't do anything special except rinse off the leftover pulp from the fruit. The first picture is just before pushing them into the soil.
20170321_154350.jpg

After planting, my helpful toddler boys came along with their sandbox shovels and had a fun time trying to find the seeds for me:confused:! I put them back the best I could without disturbing things too much and here's what I have today.20170706_132700.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Autumn seems a great time for some sowing. I have 2 types of Acacias coming up, one little leptospermum seedling, hopefully some melaleucas, a bunch of tetraclinis(really hope these work) and all sorts of goodies scattered around from where I threw the old seed trays from spring. To be fair it could be just weeds but I'll let them grow on and see.
Going to put a few more stuffs in tubs I think.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I collected 14 (yes that many!) Japanese Maple seeds last fall and started the cold stratification process at the end of January. Was planning to leave them in the fridge for 100 days but after 80 or so 12 of the seeds had sprouted already. Now 4.5 months later the biggest one is almost 14" high. Out of the 12 seeds that sprouted 11 still look very promising. One is still 2" high so I don't think that one will have a big (no pun intended) future.
I just ordered some zelkova and trident seeds for next year's project.

IMG_20170907_190826[6960].jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't seen anything from the Ginkgo seeds yet. Does anyone know when they typically sprout? I'm wondering if I should be worried yet or if I'm jumping the gun.

@pweifan How did your ginkgo seeds do? The trunks on the ones I grew have been starting to get lignified. I'm looking forward to their leaves turning yellow this fall! This was my first succeessful attempt at growing them from seed. I tried some a couple years ago but the germination wasn't great and the few that did start growing didn't last long. I think it was a fungus that got 'em that time.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think ultimately 11 seeds sprouted into viable plants. They are up at my parents so I haven't seen them recently. Not sure yet when I'll be back.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe my effort is now ready for a photo, it's a ficus m.
Let's call it: Beer Can Bonsai
I plan to never repot it actually, firstly coz it will be very difficult and secondly, I want the tree to envelop the can in aerial roots.
I want something to look like nature taking back, or reclaiming what we took over.
DSC_0009.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
DSC_0080.JPG DSC_0083.JPG DSC_0085.JPG Here are two of my grown from seed trees. The first is one of my Japanese White Pine started in about 1985. The second is the trunk detail of a Japanese Black Pine I started at about the same time. I did an initial styling of it this morning. I figured that I handn't killed it yet so maybe I should style it.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 164630 View attachment 164631 View attachment 164632 Here are two of my grown from seed trees. The first is one of my Japanese White Pine started in about 1985. The second is the trunk detail of a Japanese Black Pine I started at about the same time. I did an initial styling of it this morning. I figured that I handn't killed it yet so maybe I should style it.
What is with the trunk of the white pine? It looks like a graft, did you use black pine as the base?20171021_182437.jpg

Top Bottom