2017 From Seed.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
next time I'm going to sow directly in the pots....I sowed my chinese elms in plastic baggies with a moist paper towel. I got about 50% (out of 100 seeds to start) to sprout, then transferred them into small pots and put a little soil on top. BUT, I only have 7 that have started to grow past the soil. I am worried the others went into transplant shock/got dried out/something else and bit the dust. I'll give them another month before I give up on em.

Reactions: GGB

Sidesummy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are a few more from the raised bed I recently expanded. Tridents, Japanese Maples, and Zelkova.
1qhaBiB.jpg

wisKNqF.jpg

4Nmz7HL.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20170502_191943.jpg

The top is a cutting from my Parsley Leaf Hawrrant...:eek:

But dirextly (c troubles)...below it...

Hawtheezy!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why did I collect a baggie full of Ulmus Flying Saucerus yesterday?

Hehehe!

Sorce

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just out of curiosity does anyone know at what age a Chinese elm will reproduce? There are a few in my neighborhood that are 40+ feet tall. I have never seen seeds on the trees or on the ground. Never any seedlings. Any reason that they wouldn't produce seeds? Couldn't find anything online.
Thanks

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@erb.75 I learned the same lesson when I sprouted dozens of redwood last year and killed all but two of them in the potting stage. I still cold strat on a moist twoel but plant them out before a tap root extends

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@erb.75 I learned the same lesson when I sprouted dozens of redwood last year and killed all but two of them in the potting stage. I still cold strat on a moist twoel but plant them out before a tap root extends
Ya, I didn't think the elms would start to grow in the dark in the fridge, but they surprised me by sending out their roots while still chilly!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ya, I didn't think the elms would start to grow in the dark in the fridge, but they surprised me by sending out their roots while still chilly!
Yep, so far every species I've tried will sprout in the cold/dark when the time is right. From paw paw to white bark pine. I try to get them in dirt just as the seed splits open

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was just in Eaton Rapids, MI at my parents' this last weekend. I think I had about 10 or so that came up for me. Nice job on yours :)

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Midsummer update.

I decided to repot some of my Japanese Red Pines because I had a dozen crammed in one 4" pot. Now the each has its own hydroponic "colander".
image.jpg

These are my Golden Mugo babies. Got a late start but I have 5 up and going strong.:)
image.jpg

This Bur-Gambel Oak is amazing me! 5 stems off a single acorn and starting its third flush of growth.
image.jpg

Some DeGroots Spire seedlings doing their best to fill their pot.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 30

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Midsummer update.

I decided to repot some of my Japanese Red Pines because I had a dozen crammed in one 4" pot. Now the each has its own hydroponic "colander".
View attachment 151308

These are my Golden Mugo babies. Got a late start but I have 5 up and going strong.:)
View attachment 151315

This Bur-Gambel Oak is amazing me! 5 stems off a single acorn and starting its third flush of growth.
View attachment 151314

Some DeGroots Spire seedlings doing their best to fill their pot.
View attachment 151316

Years ago your dad did his best "Plant" imitation and planted his seed.....soooo....... @Quince

PLANT.gif
;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I started a lot of crabs from seed this last winter. They were doing great under lights for 12 hours a day at about 70 degrees, then mid April after the threat of frost I moved them outside. It was like fall was triggered and almost all of them stopped growing and went every shade of yellow, gold,orange,red and brown,... I thought they were goners, but a bunch have finally bounced back, i lost a bunch but most are showing new growth now. The first pic is the only current new growth. The rest of the pics were taken about a month ago0626170849_HDR.jpg received_1708893492461783.jpeg received_1708893279128471.jpeg received_1708893385795127.jpeg

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I started a lot of crabs from seed this last winter. They were doing great under lights for 12 hours a day at about 70 degrees, then mid April after the threat of frost I moved them outside. It was like fall was triggered and almost all of them stopped growing and went every shade of yellow, gold,orange,red and brown,... I thought they were goners, but a bunch have finally bounced back, i lost a bunch but most are showing new growth now. The first pic is the only current new growth. The rest of the pics were taken about a month agoView attachment 151333 View attachment 151334 View attachment 151335 View attachment 151336
Fascinating...
I wonder if you would get different results keeping them at a shorter simulated photoperiod (8-9hrs) indoors, and moving them out when the daylight exceeded those hours. I don't know how sensitive crabs are to other to other environmental ques like temperature, but it might be enought to convince the seedlings that the year is yet young.

Top Bottom