A couple from my last trip

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
How do you intend to make it into a pot with that one on the left if I may ask? It appears that there is a long cobra like part of the trunk between the area where you show it sitting on the pot and the roots? Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong... but really, can you use the whole thing?
Here is a movie of kimura reducing a long juniper by bringing the roots close to the part he wants to use. Nice to see

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Here is a movie of kimura reducing a long juniper by bringing the roots close to the part he wants to use. Nice to see

That's a really cool technique DJtommy! Very innovative thinking by Kimura for back in the day and I think he's the first to do this. I believe there are positives and negatives to it and i'm not sure how frequently Japanese Professionals still use it. The positives are that it's much faster to get the tree into a Bonsai Pot. The negatives are that you'll always be left with a long portion of live vein that does not produce roots directly off the live vein, more root and vein mass and it's likely more challenging to re-pot the tree. Now it's been replaced mostly by grafting roots onto the live vein and eventually removing the lower portion of the tree all together. There's a great section written about this in the book by Takeo Kawabe one of Kimura's former apprentices. In the US, Boon Manakitivipart has done fantastic work with root grafting as well.

Here's a couple pictures of root grafting taken from Bill Valavanis's Blog during one of his trips to Kimura's garden in 2014.

91_zpsulc3scas.jpg

101_zpszwtcz0fq.jpg

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
That's a really cool technique DJtommy! Very innovative thinking by Kimura for back in the day and I think he's the first to do this. I believe there are positives and negatives to it and i'm not sure how frequently Japanese Professionals still use it. The positives are that it's much faster to get the tree into a Bonsai Pot. The negatives are that you'll always be left with a long portion of live vein that does not produce roots directly off the live vein, more root and vein mass and it's likely more challenging to re-pot the tree. Now it's been replaced mostly by grafting roots onto the live vein and eventually removing the lower portion of the tree all together. There's a great section written about this in the book by Takeo Kawabe one of Kimura's former apprentices. In the US, Boon Manakitivipart has done fantastic work with root grafting as well.

Here's a couple pictures of root grafting taken from Bill Valavanis's Blog during one of his trips to Kimura's garden in 2014.

91_zpsulc3scas.jpg

101_zpszwtcz0fq.jpg
yeah, i agree root grafting sound better in the long run although it takes a longer time.
i wonder if it wasnt done yet that time or that he just thought its not needed for this material.

anywayz, you have some nice stock there.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Updating this old thread. Just worked on this tree with Peter Tea over the weekend(Oct. 2020) Earlier this year I decided I'm going to try and take pics of my kids with my trees to see them progress side by side. The other tree collected in this thread is now owned by the great and powerful Mr. John Kirby.

New.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow this tree.... I'm not into such large things, but this one is such a treat to look at.

Top Bottom