A couple of new one's from Don Blackmond, last one's for the year.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Lmfao:p he looks ready for Halloween already! Or is he actually super chihuahua?lol

Aaron

My wife makes him where clothing all year long. We also just bought him a shirt that says "Where's my balls at", I thought it was funnier than hell because he's neutered lmao!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My wife makes him where clothing all year long. We also just bought him a shirt that says "Where's my balls at", I thought it was funnier than hell because he's neutered lmao!
My whole pack hates clothes in summer, but it's about time to go sweater shopping for all of them soon lol just like little children!

Aaron

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Actually...

Most of the existing branches have little taper. It looks like the original branches were grown out as long whips, probably wired into place, and then side branches were grown.

Unfortunately, that method produces primary branches with long straight sections with little taper.

The way to create branches with taper is to let them grow out, wire them while they are young and soft (thus easily shaped into little curves), let them grow out more, then cut back, hard. Then repeat. Over and over. It takes a long time to "build" a good deciduous tree.

So...

Joe is getting lots of new buds on the old limbs. That's great! It gives him lots of choices to cut back some of the old, straight, taperless branches and regrow them with new branches that can be developed with taper and movement.

This is the plan! I cut it back and pruned it so hard because there was so much stuff growing up, down, and in the wrong direction. Now I'll be able to see precisely what I want and don't want.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My dog Muchacho for some kind of size reference:)

You call THAT a dog?! :p

This is the plan! I cut it back and pruned it so hard because there was so much stuff growing up, down, and in the wrong direction. Now I'll be able to see precisely what I want and don't want.

To be fair, you really didn't cut it back all that far. At least, not as far as Adair is suggesting.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
You call THAT a dog?! :p

To be fair, you really didn't cut it back all that far. At least, not as far as Adair is suggesting.

To be fair, how about just try to enjoy the pics and watch this tree and myself evolve:) Because neither is going anywhere anytime soon...........

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
To be fair, how about just try to enjoy the pics and watch this tree and myself evolve:) Because neither is going anywhere anytime soon...........

Wow, chill dude. I'm just telling you that you really didn't cut it back that hard at all and you'll need to cut it back harder. Done trying to offer you advice you ungrateful.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
When you get off your high horse, let us know so we can try to help get your trees to a more finished state.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that you did a good job so far with this tree with your limited experience. And I do think the tree has good potential to be better. As you progress, you'll see the issues about the branch taper... It's a learning process. Study images of great trees.
As long as the tree is healthy, you can do what needs done down the road once you see it.
Trees do often look different (better!) in person, the lack of 3d vision is difficult to see the real image.

Cute dog, spaying and neutering is so important!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think that you did a good job so far with this tree with your limited experience. And I do think the tree has good potential to be better. As you progress, you'll see the issues about the branch taper... It's a learning process. Study images of great trees.
As long as the tree is healthy, you can do what needs done down the road once you see it.
Trees do often look different (better!) in person, the lack of 3d vision is difficult to see the real image.

Cute dog, spaying and neutering is so important!
Judy, I'm sure Joe will eventually cut it back. He just wants to make sure there's some to cut back to!

This photo of some of the branches shows some of the structural problems:

image.jpeg

The longer branch has virtually no taper at all. It didn't have any foliage close to the trunk until he made the cutback, and now new buds have started. Once they grow out some, he'll be able to do a substantial cutback.

The shorter fork does have a branch he could cut back to. It looks like it's still thin enough to wire.

The thing is, to develop proper branches this thing has to be allowed to grow out substantially, then cut back. Repeatedly. To be able to get good growth requires a strong active root system. Which is unlikely to happen in a bonsai pot. My recommendation would be to transfer it next spring into a wooden grow box. Just so the roots will have room to grow to support good branch growth.

Whether he wants to adjust the trunk positioning is up to him.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think his cut back is a good first step, he gets to learn how the tree responds to that kind of treatment. Certainly as Adair notes, more substantial cut-backs will be required in the future to take the tree to the next level. Of course, the owner could also just leave it as it is if he prefers, at least for now. No need to rush things if someone hasn't done this before.

The larger grow box suggestion is a good one for that next phase.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Judy, I'm sure Joe will eventually cut it back. He just wants to make sure there's some to cut back to!

This photo of some of the branches shows some of the structural problems:

View attachment 116163

The longer branch has virtually no taper at all. It didn't have any foliage blouse to the trunk until he made the cutback, and now new buds have started. Once they grow out some, he'll be able to do a substantial cutback.

The shorter fork does have a branch he could cut back to. It looks like it's still thin enough to wire.

The thing is, to develop proper branches this thing has to be allowed to grow out substantially, then cut back. Repeatedly. To be able to get good growth requires a strong active root system. Which is unlikely to happen in a bonsai pot. My recommendation would be to transfer it next spring into a wooden grow box. Just so the roots will have room to grow to support good branch growth.

Whether he wants to adjust the trunk positioning is up to him.

I'm new and feel safer taking my time before doing anything major to any of my tree's really. I haven't quite stared at the Elm long enough yet to make any permanent decisions. I will say though, I won't be disturbing the root ball to re-position the smaller tree because I kind of like the slant, as stated before, kinda looks like lightening struck it but the tree lived anyway. I may however cut the top down a little more so that it blends a little better with the larger one. I haven't decided yet. I will be putting some moss back on but in between the roots and a little further away from the trunks. BTW, I bought the Boon DVD's, great suggestion, thanks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm new and feel safer taking my time before doing anything major to any of my tree's really. I haven't quite stared at the Elm long enough yet to make any permanent decisions. I will say though, I won't be disturbing the root ball to re-position the smaller tree because I kind of like the slant, as stated before, kinda looks like lightening struck it but the tree lived anyway. I may however cut the top down a little more so that it blends a little better with the larger one. I haven't decided yet. I will be putting some moss back on but in between the roots and a little further away from the trunks. BTW, I bought the Boon DVD's, great suggestion, thanks!
No worries. Let the new buds grow out.

Resist the urge to pinch back new growth. Let it grow!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think his cut back is a good first step, he gets to learn how the tree responds to that kind of treatment. Certainly as Adair notes, more substantial cut-backs will be required in the future to take the tree to the next level. Of course, the owner could also just leave it as it is if he prefers, at least for now. No need to rush things if someone hasn't done this before.

The larger grow box suggestion is a good one for that next phase.

3 cheers for 3 years in a grow box to kick start it again.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My question is: How come I can see this thread. I didn't think threads from people on my ignorant list should show up on my screen.
Not that the discussion is spirited but you guys aren't going to help this guy. He doesn't want it.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
My question is: How come I can see this thread. I didn't think threads from people on my ignorant list should show up on my screen.
Not that the discussion is spirited but you guys aren't going to help this guy. He doesn't want it.

Kind of ignorant to post in a thread that's on your ignorant list don't ya think:) Need a hug?

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Those are all things that would be appealing to a prideful man, which I am not. I've found that pride usually comes right before self destruction. If I were to think along those lines, sell all of my tree's and start from scratch with cuttings or seeds, at 40 lol, I wouldn't be able to enjoy tree's like the one's I already have until I'm 80-100 years old. For what, pride, my stamp? No thanks!
What's fascinating about this remark is that clearly you do have pride in your trees.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
What's fascinating about this remark is that clearly you do have pride in your trees.

LOL, no, I am pleased with them though:) After pleased comes being satisfied.... Pride in thyself is a very destructive thing that usually leads to blindness in life! I look at everything as a gift from God rather than looking at it as some kind of personal accomplishment. Time is borrowed not owed....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mike, I don't know how you're seeing this if you have him on ignore...

Doesn't matter.

I think Joe has his eyes opened now. Let's be fair. He's new to bonsai, wants to have nice trees, can afford to spend a little money ( or barter ), and gets some nice trees with potential, but have been neglected for a while.

Then someone like me comes along and suggests thing he could do (should do) to improve his trees. Thing is, Joe, being new to bonsai, didn't see the issues. So, he's taken aback, and gets defensive! Perfectly natural reaction. I don't blame him.

A little time passes, and he cools down. Does a little research. And, like and behold, he begins to see some of what we were talking about makes sense. He's probably not happy about it, but I think now he's beginning to listen.

It's all part of the learning experience.

I think the same thing happened to Ryan Neil when he first went to Kimura's. Ryan probably thought he was pretty good at bonsai before he went. And, he probably was! But Kumura had to first show him he didn't know anything, so that Ryan could open his mind to learn from the Master.

The same thing happened with me and Boon. I went there thinking I knew how to wire! Uh, it was rather humiliating for me to have to rewire one branch 3 times before Boon agreed it was "acceptable"!

I'm giving Joe the benefit of the doubt.

Joe, it would be great if you could come to the National Shiw in Rochester next weekend!

Top Bottom