A great bonsai club

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I could really go for a bonsai club that meets on weekends. There's a club near me that hosts a lot of events that look like they'd be great... except I'm neither independently wealthy nor retired, so I'm going to be at work.
Putting everything at 1800 in the middle of the week just seems kind of silly unless you're wanting to keep everyone under the age of fifty-five out of the club. If that's your aim, then... shoot, just how dumb are you?

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Suggest creating study group. Small members more focus. Big clubs good too, but big clubs cater to all not to what you want to learn. Good for some, not for all, helpful as whole.

I have to fight people to come over and bring a tree. God damn nightmare even with 5 turntables and 40 Kilos of wire. Either you love it like we do, or you just think its fun like most people do, or you dont care at all that's the rest of the world. Filters fast!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
On a more serious note, I hear way to often from people who spend time here to work on plants and learn that the members where they attend are often distant and short when answering questions. Most often over the past few years it is common with those in the younger age range from 20 to 35 years of age. That is several clubs within a several hour radius from my home.

I really do everything I can for free including food, beverage, guest room, etc... It saddens me that the younger members of clubs receive little or no guidance while I do all I can to promote Bonsai with those that are younger.

Grimmy
I agree that sometimes in some clubs the beginners/young members can be ignored. BUT; sometimes these same members think they are entitled and can become very annoying when they don't get their ways.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good club - I think Milwaukee Bonsai Society, Milwaukee Wisconsin is a good example. Another good example is Midwest Bonsai Society, Chicago area, meeting at CBG in Glencoe, IL. Both are good clubs. All clubs have there ups and downs, Chicago seems to be on a steady trend up trend after a rough patch a dozen years ago. Milwaukee is way up in my opinion, hopefully the ''down'' won't come for another decade.
http://www.milwaukeebonsai.org/index.html
http://www.midwestbonsai.org/

No matter the club, no matter 50 members or 500 members, it always seems the same 8 to 16 people do all the organizing and running of the club. This is not avoidable, it is human nature.

An active core membership that tries to have something happening every month beyond just a ''meeting''. The board of directors, or executive committee needs to keep an eye to make sure all the core members are inclusive in their approach to people, constantly try to bring different, new or less experienced people in on projects. Most boards draw from the over 55 years old crowd, we tend to have more time, I'm proud to say Milwaukee now has a board member who is under 35 years old. Yes. Some diversity. Recently had a contest to see if everyone on the board could name 3 people each that had only been in the club less than 2 years. Not all could, but the majority could. Key is, encourage your core people to mingle. Get to know people. You don't have to know everyone, but try to know more than just the few you tend to ''hang out'' with.

Term limits - details may vary, but by term limiting, you force the core to keep recruiting new to fill slots. For Milwaukee, we term limit most slots at 4 years, and 2 years for president. Term limits are not always necessary, and if you find a good treasurer, it is real tempting to keep them on as long as possible.

Milwaukee has a goal of spending at least 55% of the membership dues income on bringing in speakers and guest artists. The thought is that speakers and artists are what the membership wants, and the dues are the membership's money, try to give our members a good return. Of course there are other expenses, like room rental, club supplies, etc. Some long established clubs that have hosted MABA and ABS events keep a ''war chest'', a fairly hefty reserve fund to serve as seed money for the next event. What can happen is that a club board, or exec committee can get in a penny pinching mind set trying to rebuild the reserve fund for the next event at the expense of providing quality speakers and interesting programs for the membership. Our 55% goal is to counter-act this tendency. Milwaukee will be hosting the 2020 MABA convention, so this is why the discussion occurred. The average member doesn't want to see the same ''old timer'' get up at a meeting an rehash the same thing he or she had said at three other meetings that year and call it a ''program''. Its especially irritating if you realize the ''old timer'' hasn't read a book in 50 years, or is at all familiar with the newer, more modern approaches to bonsai utilizing modern horticultural science. I have been that old timer, I know how bad it can get. Yep, garden topsoil & granite grit, yep, that still is the best thing to pot yer banzai trees in. (joking, just joking).

All the activities the Milwaukee club does are done with an eye toward improving the bonsai skills of all the members. We have events for the novice, for the intermediate, and for the advanced members. We want members at all levels to benefit and to learn from our guest artists, our workshops with guest artists, our workshops taught by our members, and any other activity the club comes up with. Education. Even the old timers (like myself) can learn new tricks.

We have had many artists in over the years, from Colin Lewis and Marty Schmallenberg in the last decade thru Matt Reel, Chris Baker and Austin Heitzman within the last 6 months. We try to have a variety of topics covered, Todd Schlafer is coming in June to talk conifers, spruce especially, in May we have David Kreutz to talk satsuki azalea. Jerry Meslick has recently been in covering ficus & tropicals. We try mix up the topics.

Have a club mentor, a guest artist, brought in several times a year for a multi-year contract. This club mentor, only does one regular meeting program a year, but will do 3 workshops a year, sort of a Master class series, a group of 6 to 8 students share the artist for a day, and do this 3 times a year, this way the students will see the artist spring, summer, autumn, and can keep bringing the same handful of trees to the workshops to experience the full round of seasonal work on a tree, at the appropriate time for the tree. Milwaukee first experimented with this with Ted Mattson being our club sensei, or teacher. Ted came to town 3 times a year, taught group workshops 2 days each visit and had a private session or two on subsequent days. This began around 2006 or so, and ran for at least 6 years. A private study group has had Ted coming in for another 6 years past the original 6. Ted is still a regular here in MIlwaukee with close friendships with quite a few of the members. Most recently Peter Tea is in year 5 of a 6 year arrangement. So students are getting to learn from Peter too. The students who take the workshop agree to the same 3 year agreement that the artist does, so these students get the full benefit of a multiyear cycle of instruction from the same artist. You can have the artist help you evaluate the responses your trees have made to things you have done. Very useful. This is not cheap, but if you do group workshops a typical artists fee of around $400 per 8 hours teaching can be split between 4 to 8 students, all meet at a location and each person gets a turn, usually 10 minutes to 30 minutes per turn, going round the group until everyone has their time in. Getting to see and listen while the artist is with a different student and you are working on your own tree is a great benefit. It is a good system. If the club uses the mentor for a club program then the club picks up the travel. Otherwise the students also split the travel expenses. Arrangements vary. But it is very do-able. A good model for study groups too.

Milwaukee membership held a fund raiser, receiving some corporate money, and a seed grant that matched the money we raised, all to endow a separate entity, the MBF, to maintain a permanent bonsai collection and exhibit. The Milwaukee Bonsai Foundation partnered with the Lynden Sculpture Garden and now there is a pavilion and display area housing the permanent bonsai collection. It is wildly creative, designed to have open views of the sculpture park as you look at the bonsai. No walled in garden, it was really creative, put it on your destination list next time to are near Milwaukee. Volunteers do all the maintenance. Such a collection gives a sense of permanence to the local bonsai community. And having the collection at a sculpture park really highlights the artistic aspect of bonsai, displaying as art, and not just a horticultural craft.

So these are some ideas. Milwaukee only has about 150 to 180 members, and yet we have a lot going on. It can be done.

The Midwest Bonsai Socity has a new president. I think he is under 45 years old. There has been a changing of the guard in the leadership. The old treasurer was about five hundred years old show up during the middle of the guest speakers presentation and start yelling about renewing your membership. All memberships were for the calendar year no matter when you joined. New members felt that was wrong if you joined at the Fall show and a couple of months later you had to renew. She also refused to take credit cards. Now memberships are for twelve months starting the month you joined. They also take credit cards.

They start the meeting with Bonsai 101, last meeting it was on the basics of repotting. Last month was on propagating moss.

As for speakers this month was Austin Heitzman on building stands, interesting presentation learned a lot on stands and displays. Great speaker if you need a speaker that does not do a demonstration. They also have had Walter Pall and Owen Reich recently.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
One of our guys was at your meeting where Austin Hietzman spoke, he brought Austin up to us from the CBG

Your current speaker chairperson has been good about sharing speakers, our meetings are the day after yours, so it works out.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of our guys was at your meeting where Austin Hietzman spoke, he brought Austin up to us from the CBG

Your current speaker chairperson has been good about sharing speakers, our meetings are the day after yours, so it works out.

I think it allows both clubs to attract better speakers as we can share the travel expenses with only about an hour drive between the clubs meeting locations.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Bonsai Meeting at playgrounds so the kids run wild and I can get my bonsai fix more than once per quarter.

If you move to Orlando, I got you there. We have a lazy river and hobbit houses and in ground trampolines and a trio of 30-60 year old tortoises, largest weighs 170 lbs ! Kids have a blast here while the adults use the shears. :)

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I tried to attend club meetings consistently my first year in bonsai until I simply had no time. The club I used to be a member in was Santa Anita Bonsai Society. I will say the some of the members are very nice and I talk to them every time I see them at a show. But most probably could care less if I was there and it was a little awkward hanging around in a club with a bunch of old dudes just minding their own business. NOTHING AGAINST OLD DUDES but I was 18 when I first joined the club and it was hard to talk with people who didn't seem willing to talk to you. As I got busy with research and school I felt no longer motivated to participate and let my membership expire.

When I lived in Chicago for 3 months though I had a pretty good experience with the community there and during the Midwest bonsai show. A lot of enthusiastic people and pretty easy to talk to.
I think I can relate a lot to your story!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
it was a little awkward hanging around in a club with a bunch of old dudes just minding their own business. NOTHING AGAINST OLD DUDES but I was 18 when I first joined the club and it was hard to talk with people who didn't seem willing to talk to you.

LOL just remember some of us old dudes used to be young once too :) Seriously you were just describing my first meeting at the Midwest Bonsai Society. I heard about the society when I was at their annual show, and went to a meeting. Granted, this was about 25 years ago, but I was definitely one of the youngest, if not THE youngest, member there. I was fortunate to have two of the older members - Gerry Weiner and Jack Fried - who became informal mentors for me. In all honesty I think things have changed a little bit since the advent of the Internet. It is much easier to have cross-generational conversations and develop relationships with people with age not being a barrier. However it is really important to make sure that all members actively participate in all aspects of the club - including leadership - else the club tends to be a little one-dimensional and feels like it is catering to the needs of one subset of members.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You bastard, @Vin , you told me it would live!!!!!!!!!!!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D
View attachment 186364

Will there be an "inappropriate" time to dial you up.....(heavy panting).....you there!!!
Can you imagine?!?!:eek::mad::mad::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
"Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick cause either way you're losing you teeth" :p

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nothing here in my area without fighting traffic and toll bridges. Eff that.

LIBS meets in oyster bay monthly. They are a good club starting to host more workshops and provide access to supplies and stuff. I think there is also a Brooklyn club.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have 11 clubs within a reasonable driving distance. I could theoretically attend a club meeting twice a week. The clubs I actually attend are the closest who have experienced people willing to share time and advice with new members. Club shows that try hard to include everyone at every stage of their journey are a plus. Club sales and auctions. And the best always has a good snack table, preferably with wine (hey, it's N Cal).

For the younger people, the best way to get an old member talking is to ask them questions about their tree. Club officers should facilitate welcoming new members, but most folks are all to happy to talk about their baby.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Avoid making it a club for people who just want to fake being japanese. I have had some laughs at workshops, when older members tell me what I am NOT allowed to do, equal number trees, etc.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm lucky in that Cleveland Bonsai Club has a fair number of younger and newer members plus people seem to want to talk to me when they find out I work at a nursery. lol

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
LOL just remember some of us old dudes used to be young once too :) Seriously you were just describing my first meeting at the Midwest Bonsai Society. I heard about the society when I was at their annual show, and went to a meeting. Granted, this was about 25 years ago, but I was definitely one of the youngest, if not THE youngest, member there. I was fortunate to have two of the older members - Gerry Weiner and Jack Fried - who became informal mentors for me. In all honesty I think things have changed a little bit since the advent of the Internet. It is much easier to have cross-generational conversations and develop relationships with people with age not being a barrier. However it is really important to make sure that all members actively participate in all aspects of the club - including leadership - else the club tends to be a little one-dimensional and feels like it is catering to the needs of one subset of members.
I was thirteen when I joined the Marin County Bonsai Club back in the 1960's. I had no trouble finding acceptance with the old farts back then. You have to approach these people and treat them with respect. This was 50 years ago approaching 60 years. Most of these old guys are now former old guys doing bonsai with the angles.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thirteen when I joined the Marin County Bonsai Club back in the 1960's. I had no trouble finding acceptance with the old farts back then. You have to approach these people and treat them with respect. This was 50 years ago approaching 60 years. Most of these old guys are now former old guys doing bonsai with the angles.
I hope you mean Angels

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My take on bonsai clubs is pretty simple. Belonging to one for 34 years, one for 20 years and President of an all Japanese formal club for 10 years, one thing is common.

• There are old timers.
  • There are retired people. Retired have a leg up on being able to have the freedom to do anything.
  • There are mean people, and say asshole things
  • There are eager newbies who bring in shitty sticks in pots , want you to design their tree for them, want you to repot it, and prune it when necessary. They have no interest in learning to do the work, because the work requires thought and necessary intelligence. When you do suggest what needs to be done there is not willingness to remove "that much" tree cause I paid for all that.
  • Clubs are exactly like a "Bonsai Discussion Forums".

Top Bottom