A tricky test ;-)

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
My guess would be wind burn?

After looking back at the pictures it seems that the healthy one is on good soil and the one that is sick is definitely in bad soil, or nursery soil. Atleast, that is what it looks like in the pictures.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think it is due to over watering. The right pic was watered too much during the spring. The roots did not grow as much and as a result could not keep up with the demands from the foliage. I have this same problem. I seems to happen late July early August, even under shade cloth.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting that you post this right now: I've got an Amur maple with leaves that look much like the picture on the left. I'm thinking a nutrient deficiency, but haven't been able to nail down which nutrient. Yet.

The picture on the right looks to me like leaf scorch; maybe from heat, maybe from overfertilizing. But if it were my tree I'd investigate more before I settled on a course of action.
Hi Treebeard55, the one on the left is completely healthy. You're right. The one on the right has leaf scorch.

Water and soil : to me, the one on the right has a root problem. It doesn't dry enough between watering, and this might cause fungal diseases in the end.
Hi AlainK, it has a root problem, but not due to root rot. I'll tell you later on.

I am guessing one was watered from above at sunset and the other was watered from below the foliage.
Hi Victrinia, they are watered with the same way: below the foliage.

Could the brown leaved one be from wind burn?
Hi Chappy56, it could be.

In Oklahoma, it's the hot drying winds, that's why I gave up on D trees. I was told a long time ago, that if your leaves are brown, they are drying out, if they turn black, they are too wet, that's pretty much the extent of my D tree knowledge.
Harry
Hi Harry, you're right.

One of the pictures is of new growth. The other one is a picture of older leaves that have leaf burn (pretty bad, too!). Is that it????
Hi Mapleman77, two trees were taken pictures at the same time. You're right.

It's a combination of problems. The scorched leaves are from a weak tree with hard alkaline watering and too much sun and wind. I used to get this alot on my maples. The best treatment I found is to water alot to keep the root ball evenly moist at all time, only fertilize with cottonseed meal which add alot of acidity, and partial shade including for the pot to keep it cool. Southern California is too hot and dry for maples, and our water is bad. Chemical fertilizers are horrible for maples. When the cottonseed meal decompose, they help produce alot of beneficial fungi for the tree. And do not feed when the leaves are chlorotic either, start with a little bit of iron supplement first then wait a few weeks before feeding. Nitrogen fertilizer given alone when the tree is iron deficient would actually burn it more.
Ok, so what's the answer?
Hi Si, you're right. In Southern CA, we're facing those problem. However, I have been using chemical and organic fertilizer for both of them, only difference is the pot. I'll tell more

Are they are in different types of soil? Different organic components or different Organic to Inorganic ratio?
If the amount of water and sunlight are the same then I'm guessing the most obvious and assuming you have an issue with the soil.
You're right.

I think a very large dog is relieving himself on one of the trees...the question is which one::confused:

Dave
Hi Dave, I don't have a dog :)

I think it is due to over watering. The right pic was watered too much during the spring. The roots did not grow as much and as a result could not keep up with the demands from the foliage. I have this same problem. I seems to happen late July early August, even under shade cloth.
Hi DaveV, hmm, your thinking is interesting.

OK, now I'll reveal the information. Someone are right about the root problem which may be due to the soil, fertilizer or the pot (only Si mentioned this :)). Yes, the one on the right has leaf scorch which caused by dehydration from the unbalance between the water supply (from root) and water loss (leaf transpiration). The one on the left is planted in the ground. The one on the right is planted in the 2 gallon plastic pot. They have been watered, fertilized undifferently. And they are in the same site of the garden (receiving same intensity of sunlight ). The one on the right has been suffered from root tip burn due to heat. Solution: its pot has to be protected from heat as Si's statement. Thanks a lot for all responses. See you in the next topic. Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After looking back at the pictures it seems that the healthy one is on good soil and the one that is sick is definitely in bad soil, or nursery soil. Atleast, that is what it looks like in the pictures.
Hi Jason, my garden soil is not as good as the soil I place in the pot. Bonhe

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Bonhe for the info. You were driving me crazy with this one.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
You can buy a product to spray on the leaves that will keep that from happining ..........

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
What product is that Harry?

Since I don't have any D trees, I can't vouch for this product or any other that claims to protect leaves from wind burn, I have just seen them in the garden centers. Maybe some of the other members have some experience with this type product....be sure and scroll down and see what they claim this product will do.

keep it green,
Harry

http://www.wilt-pruf.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom