Acer Ginnala styled

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Are you a little curious to see just what kind of root growth that Sea Lavender produced since you planted it?
Nice tree and fantastic fall coloration!:cool:

I guess I'll find out when I repot it next year. :)

"Cut back ,defoliated and re-wired"
Funny,there seems to be a lot of this going on:D

You mean in general or just with me? :)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I finally realized this year that if I am defoliating,i need to be wiring every time I do it.
Last year I defoliated a zelkova three times and skipped the wiring part.Now I am paying the price with a tree that looks great in leaf,but definately needs a lengthly and very detailed wiring.
I am with you now though,all my zelkova this year get wired with each cut-back and defoliation.Quite fun!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I finally realized this year that if I am defoliating,i need to be wiring every time I do it.
Last year I defoliated a zelkova three times and skipped the wiring part.Now I am paying the price with a tree that looks great in leaf,but definately needs a lengthly and very detailed wiring.
I am with you now though,all my zelkova this year get wired with each cut-back and defoliation.Quite fun!

LOL! Remember, wiring IS bonsai! ;)

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Press G for ginnala:

Botãozinho_suspeito.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mach interesting that you turned the tips up. I like it though

Drew I pretty much do this on all my deciduous trees. Sometimes more than others. In most cases in old trees in nature, no matter what the branches do, the ends will always turn up towards the light.

Looks like another successful surgery in the M5 operating theatre!

Drama! Oh how I loveth thy drama! :p

Press G for ginnala:

Botãozinho_suspeito.jpg

LOL love it!!! :D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mid summer update. Coming along. Leaves have reduced dramatically after the defoliation bringing a better sense of scale to the image. I am anxious to see it this autumn. I may manipulate its color by placing it in a more shaded area and hopefully get a more orange yellow this year. At the moment it is placed under intense sunlight for many hours a day.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mid summer update. Coming along. Leaves have reduced dramatically after the defoliation bringing a better sense of scale to the image. I am anxious to see it this autumn. I may manipulate its color by placing it in a more shaded area and hopefully get a more orange yellow this year. At the moment it is placed under intense sunlight for many hours a day.

Very nice, Speed. I've always liked Amur maples - too much to watch it die a slow death in Houston. I'll have to enjoy yours from afar. Great job as always. Do you have anything in the national show?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now cut back, defoliated and rewired. Slight angle change that I will implement next spring. Can't really notice, but the tree in the photos is tilted forward a bit.

What a gorgeous tree and your photography is always so excellent.
The carving on that controversial branch looks good :). With that branch development, how are you liking your 5 year estimation now? :p

I was about to ask, how come you are wiring it now in summer but I would guess that's because you defoliated. If you hadn't, I guess it'd be left till fall. (Spot in the newbie in this thread...).
I hope in a few years I can defoliate my maple and same similar success in reducing its leaf size.

Really like the ground cover around the nebari, adds to the overall image. The moss really adds the idea of size to the tree, the imagery of this tree being a big 30ft, 100 year old tree with the moss as its grass and your small Sea Lavanders as 4-5ft trees of their own.

Always a pleasure to read and follow the progress of your trees, and forum threads.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What a gorgeous tree and your photography is always so excellent.
The carving on that controversial branch looks good :). With that branch development, how are you liking your 5 year estimation now? :p

I was about to ask, how come you are wiring it now in summer but I would guess that's because you defoliated. If you hadn't, I guess it'd be left till fall. (Spot in the newbie in this thread...).
I hope in a few years I can defoliate my maple and same similar success in reducing its leaf size.

Really like the ground cover around the nebari, adds to the overall image. The moss really adds the idea of size to the tree, the imagery of this tree being a big 30ft, 100 year old tree with the moss as its grass and your small Sea Lavanders as 4-5ft trees of their own.

Always a pleasure to read and follow the progress of your trees, and forum threads.

Spring and summer are the time to wire. Harder to work around the leaves, but by fall the new growth is lignified and it becomes difficult to add movement and almost impossible to alter the angle the shoot leaves the trunk. But you have to watch out for wire cutting in. Fall is the time to cut back.

Scott

Last edited:
Top Bottom