Acer Ginnala styled

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mach!

I took a drive yesterday passed the reason I love this tree so much!

A life size version, and the reason I fell in love with amur.

It looks so much like yours, I will definitely get a picture!

Sorce

Yes that would be great if you could sorce. Thanks!!

The only way is smuggling it in... soils are not allowed to enter the country AT ALL! (I know it is completely inorganic...) one person I know tried and paid a huge fine...

Ok I see. I thought you were just referring to the US market.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only way is smuggling it in... soils are not allowed to enter the country AT ALL! (I know it is completely inorganic...) one person I know tried and paid a huge fine...
It can be grown from seed and seed should be easy to find. Just add water and about 20 years (presto!).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes that would be great if you could sorce. Thanks!!

Ok I see. I thought you were just referring to the US market.

Man, I was thinking about the right time of day to go get a pic from the right angle today! I will have to wait for my new phone to come. But I'm on it.

I think people will shit when they see the resemblance!

I hope it could even serve as a good visual reference to build from.

I love the Arctic Trident! Yours is Monster!

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Winter is here for this tree presenting a much more chilling image than it did just a little over a week ago. I am considering Brian's suggestion of removing the straight-ish thick branch/trunk on the right but at this time I have kept it. Without it I think the tree's design is more "agreeable", but with it, I think it presents a more "wild" image which I think ultimately I may prefer for this tree. Still thinking this through.

Tough as always for a photo to portray the three dimesional quality of a tree, but in person it has a wonderful front to back sense of depth. Work will continue next spring.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
I am considering Brian's suggestion of removing the straight-ish thick branch/trunk on the right but at this time I have kept it. Without it I think the tree's design is more "agreeable", but with it, I think it presents a more "wild" image which I think ultimately I may prefer for this tree.

Hmm, seems like a tough call to me from seeing the pictures. I know you've worked with Bill V. a bit, I wonder what his suggestion would be?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mach, do you plan to grow the tree a little larger? If so, I think keeping that trunk would be a good idea. Consider allowing one of the interior branches of that more vertical trunk to thicken and extend that trunk. It could give a gentle movement to the the side of the straight-ish trunk, while becoming more of a primary trunk.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One possible solution to your problem is to take the "blockiness" out of that trunk by tapering it to the shoot. Do it on the right side, and it will make that trunk seem much lighter.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hmm, seems like a tough call to me from seeing the pictures. I know you've worked with Bill V. a bit, I wonder what his suggestion would be?

Sure, asking Bill is always a great option. I am seeing him a couple of weeks so I'll see if I get a chance.

Mach, do you plan to grow the tree a little larger? If so, I think keeping that trunk would be a good idea. Consider allowing one of the interior branches of that more vertical trunk to thicken and extend that trunk. It could give a gentle movement to the the side of the straight-ish trunk, while becoming more of a primary trunk.

Yes T, the canopy will ultimately be larger and denser but it may take me a couple of more seasons.

One possible solution to your problem is to take the "blockiness" out of that trunk by tapering it to the shoot. Do it on the right side, and it will make that trunk seem much lighter.

Fred if you noticed, I did some carving at the end of the branch. I want to do more and make it into a more obvious urn of sorts to make it all appear more natural. The transitions are all being worked on at the moment. Also, the base on many of these newer branches need to thicken in time.

What does it look like turned counter clock a few ticks?

Juds can't quite remember but I will check, although I am pretty sure I landed where I felt I was getting the most from this angle.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind, M5. This is sort of the idea that came to me.
View attachment 84954

Thanks T! No I don't mind at all. Looking at the virt, the issue I see is that the two branches create a very strong diagonal movement towards the right helping lead the eye away from the image.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment, M5. The horticulture stuff, one can usually tell if he is doing it right or wrong by the outcome. Styling is more difficult to someone like me :D I would like to hear more styling discussion if at all possible. Please share what Bill has to say when you do get to talk with him.

Reaction score
Winter is here for this tree presenting a much more chilling image than it did just a little over a week ago. I am considering Brian's suggestion of removing the straight-ish thick branch/trunk on the right but at this time I have kept it. Without it I think the tree's design is more "agreeable", but with it, I think it presents a more "wild" image which I think ultimately I may prefer for this tree. Still thinking this through.

Tough as always for a photo to portray the three dimesional quality of a tree, but in person it has a wonderful front to back sense of depth. Work will continue next spring.

I don't normally critique many trees here because they often go south, but I have always thought it was a shame, especially if the intent was not to insult, I think thoughtful critiques are a very useful and positive thing.

If this was not a tree that one might want to show in a winter state the right straight branch could possibly be left seeing it would be covered, I don't think you would ever really be happy with it. It does have taper... so I can see the argument for it staying... but it takes up alot of real estate in an area where it would probably be better suited with finer branching. So, I would have to agree with it's removal, perhaps not in it's entirety? , but instead back to a lower branch. This obviously is going to mess up the taper of the area, which would then mean time in development of fixing this.

I see you have other cut scars on the other heavy branch to the left and on the one that makes up the continuation of the main trunk, how do you plan on addressing these areas? Healing over, or carving uros?

I don't bring these up to insult, but merely to question your time frame with the tree... that if you are planning to heal these over, obviously you are going to still need to allow some branching to run free. So you still have some time involved working this tree. Which leads me back to the heavy branch in question...

It might be worth it long term, taking the heavy straight branch back down all the way to the very first branch. The one coming off the bottom right. Bending this up some and starting over in this area. I know it sucks, but would obviously pay off in the end. Something to consider.
Keep up the good work!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Stacy! Yes I will have to see as the tree matures into its design. At the very least this branch is looking less and less obtrusive when compared to the photos on the first page. I intend to carve out some of these transitional areas for a more naturalistic feel. Still considering and perhaps may well cut it back eventually as suggested. Not completely convinced yet but time we have.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice tree Mach5. I'd go with Brian's suggestion of cutting back that right-most trunk.

Reaction score
Thanks Stacy! Yes I will have to see as the tree matures into its design. At the very least this branch is looking less and less obtrusive when compared to the photos on the first page. I intend to carve out some of these transitional areas for a more naturalistic feel. Still considering and perhaps may well cut it back eventually as suggested. Not completely convinced yet but time we have.
Often with ficus, we down here run into the same issues... especially if a branch has sent down an ariel root., which will cause a branch to grow out of scale really fast!

If one does choose to shorten it, I would first cut back half way, right above the pair of branches coming off the back. Above where I said to cut, and see if that works. If one is not concerned about scars to much, you can even remove a wedge shape from the top of the heavy branch after cutting to give a appearance of taper. With ficus I do this quite often, seal the cut and then send a couple of grafts through this area and the wound covers within a year or two. I know maples are a bit slower.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm going to throw caution to the wind and just throw out my thoughts (good, bad or indifferent). Everything else about the tree feels right except for that arrow straight branch. So, if it was mine I would try to make the entire tree "feel right" and remove most of that branch. Yes, you can hide it behind the foliage but you'll always know it's there. You do amazing things with trees; so do your thing..

Top Bottom