Acer Ginnala styled

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. Both trees that I have, have more or less kept on growing until the end of season. They are certainly vigorous trees.
I have one and it's one long flush of growth.
From spring until fall. It never stops.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one and it's one long flush of growth.
From spring until fall. It never stops.

Interesting. I have been getting a strong spring flush, then a slow summer with extension more than new shoots, and then a later summer flush. I think my slower growth in summer is probably due to the hotter weather here in North Carolina.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting. I have been getting a strong spring flush, then a slow summer with extension more than new shoots, and then a later summer flush. I think my slower growth in summer is probably due to the hotter weather here in North Carolina.

It may well be? But at least it looks like it grows well for you. My experience is similar to that of M Frary. They are native to Siberia so... :rolleyes:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It may well be? But at least it looks like it grows well for you. My experience is similar to that of M Frary. They are native to Siberia so... :rolleyes:
It's not quite Siberian here but as everyone else gets heat right now it's 72 degrees.
Plus a short growing season and they seem to know they only have so much time to grow.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A few weeks after being defoliated, much smaller leaves and finer buds have now replaced the old ones. Although coarser in appearance than Japanese maples, I am enjoying working with this species due to their toughness and vigor as well as their bark and striking autumn color. I think underused for bonsai.

I found one of the first pics I took of the tree when I first bought it.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great photos with the black background and different greens. This one was booming when I saw it, defoliation really served it well with the new smaller leaves coming in. This tree has something to offer every season of the year. Excellent work Sergio

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Sergio, I like your tree a lot. I just wanted to ask you one thing. I have a feeling you keep it in shape all year round. I mean not letting branches to grow too long.

Don't you want to achieve thickening of some parts of the branch structure? If yes, what is your preferred method, if growing sacrifice brances it obviously isn't.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Sergio, I like your tree a lot. I just wanted to ask you one thing. I have a feeling you keep it in shape all year round. I mean not letting branches to grow too long.

Don't you want to achieve thickening of some parts of the branch structure? If yes, what is your preferred method, if growing sacrifice brances it obviously isn't.

Thanks Maros. Don't let some of these photos fool you. I do indeed let the tree grow in between stages. Take a look at this one in late June before it was cut back. I usually get a couple of flushes per growing season with the exception of this year in which the tree did not elongate as much as I had expected when it was cut back.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dang!
This is a nice tree!
I love the progress you've made in a short time!
The fall color is great!

Thanks JWI. I am very happy with this tree's progress in a relatively short time. Transitions between main trunk and branches need to keep improving. The autumn color is very short lived but spectacular. The color I get is an almost hot pink!

Top Bottom