Acer palmatum sharp's pygmy [#07]

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Relicate the fruit? Like take it off and glue it back on somewhere else?
Yeah, I've been told that kind of thing is fairly common with persimmons, Chinese quince and others.

Tree looks great Sergio! When will it show up in Rochester?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I relocated several clumps of berries on the Pyracantha I sent to the Carolina Expo 2 years ago. Tied them back on with fishing line in more balanced locations. You photographed it...did you notice?:p

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Yes this is common practice in Japan with fruiting trees such as quince. At times you might be able to just stick the fruit in the branches. In my case I will cut the fruit at the base of the long stems and then affix with fishing line or a tiny clip made of thin wire.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been told that kind of thing is fairly common with persimmons, Chinese quince and others.

Tree looks great Sergio! When will it show up in Rochester?

Thanks Chris. I will show this tree again at a future US National. Perhaps in 2020?? Just wish I could show it naked!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Chris. I will show this tree again at a future US National. Perhaps in 2020?? Just wish I could show it naked!
Hey it's coming along damn fast for a deciduous tree, you should be very pleased with the progress you've made.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Hi Mach5,
Great tree and great progression from OP. Certainly gives us newbies a sense of how to do it.
The cultivar “Sharp’s Pygmy” is beautiful, can you propagate this from cuttings/air-layers ok?
Charles

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sharp's Pygmy may just be my favorite JM cultivar. Your tree looks great and progress is really good.

I think the pot dimensions are good, but I'm not a fan of the uniform bright blue glaze :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey it's coming along damn fast for a deciduous tree, you should be very pleased with the progress you've made.

Yes I am happy with the progress Judy. The tree has slowed down its growth as it has been ramifying. This is a good sign that now its energy is well distributed. Still I have to be very attentive to areas such as the apex.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Mach5,
Great tree and great progression from OP. Certainly gives us newbies a sense of how to do it.
The cultivar “Sharp’s Pygmy” is beautiful, can you propagate this from cuttings/air-layers ok?
Charles

I have never attempted it, but I am almost certain that you can.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sharp's Pygmy may just be my favorite JM cultivar. Your tree looks great and progress is really good.

I think the pot dimensions are good, but I'm not a fan of the uniform bright blue glaze :)

Sure. I have received same comment from a few other people. I am hoping that as it ages it will get some nice patina which will soften the color and make the pot look aged. In person you can see some areas with a slightly crackled surface in which dirt has begun to get embedded in it.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I relocated several clumps of berries on the Pyracantha I sent to the Carolina Expo 2 years ago. Tied them back on with fishing line in more balanced locations. You photographed it...did you notice?:p
I have just never heard of this before... makes sense... just not something I was aware is a “thing”. Almost feels more like ikebana than Bonsai!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Can we get a preview of what you are taking????

Judy here you go. Below is what I am taking to the show. I have not decided yet on the accent plant for the amur maple. This year looks like I am located against a black bkg which I think is far better than the white marble wall surrounding the rotunda exhibit area. The marble is beautiful but doesn't do much for most trees in their winter silhouette as it is visually noisy and distracting.

A couple of persimmons still need to be relocated to better spots in the tree.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Eric! The one on the back is this one. Pic from last winter. I will try and post an update on this maple soon.

Judy what's great on these trees as you probably already know is that the little berries stay on for a while. The are incredibly bright and looks like a Christmas decorations in my garden. I saw some beautiful shohin ones at the Taikan-ten sales area. I wanted one SO bad!

Do they air layer?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
To bring things a bit back on track, here is an update on this maple. Trimmed back and wired just where necessary. In a couple more weeks, I want to adjust the height and lower the tree a bit into the pot as well as do some root grafts.

D

Deleted member 21616

Hi @MACH5

Sorry if you've already mentioned this (although I've gone post-by-post, I may have missed it), but would you please be able to tell me if the entire left third of the trunk (see attached photo) was grafted on to the main trunk? If so, do you know when (at what stage of development) and how (approach graft?). It doesn't seem like these were just branches that were bent upwards (something magical happened here!) and I'm in completely fascinated.

I have been closely reviewing the development of this tree of yours, alongside that famous maple of @Walter Pall 's (photo also attached).

The developmental stages are a bit of a mystery to me. Both trees look like they have what could be identified as single 'principal' or 'original' trunk. Whatever happened on the left side of your tree's trunk, is something i would be interested in doing on 2 or 3 sides of a tree's trunk I think.

I'd like to start a tree in this general shape category (using trees 3-5 years old), and would like to make sure I've understood the structural development process.

Thank you Sergio!
D

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 67
  • walter-pall-maple-1994-03-after.jpg
    walter-pall-maple-1994-03-after.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 68

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi @MACH5

Sorry if you've already mentioned this (although I've gone post-by-post, I may have missed it), but would you please be able to tell me if the entire left third of the trunk (see attached photo) was grafted on to the main trunk? If so, do you know when (at what stage of development) and how (approach graft?). It doesn't seem like these were just branches that were bent upwards (something magical happened here!) and I'm in completely fascinated.

I have been closely reviewing the development of this tree of yours, alongside that famous maple of @Walter Pall 's (photo also attached).

The developmental stages are a bit of a mystery to me. Both trees look like they have what could be identified as single 'principal' or 'original' trunk. Whatever happened on the left side of your tree's trunk, is something i would be interested in doing on 2 or 3 sides of a tree's trunk I think.

I'd like to start a tree in this general shape category (using trees 3-5 years old), and would like to make sure I've understood the structural development process.

Thank you Sergio!
D

Hi Derek. None of the branches were grafted on this tree. FWIW I usually prefer thread grafts to approach grafting. If not done correctly (approach grafts) their exit angle can look contrived and ugly. So much care needs to be taken.

It is no coincidence that my tree resembles that of WP's. I have used it (along with other sources of inspiration) to build this Sharps's pygmy. This type of tree form grows all around me. The single short trunk that divides into several sub trunks forming a wide rounded canopy. It's a very natural growth pattern. I classify it as an untraditional or naturalistic multi-trunk style. As opposed to the more traditional (and also very beautiful) Japanese kabudachi style where all trunks emerge evenly from soil level.

Reactions: Vin
D

Deleted member 21616

Hi Derek. None of the branches were grafted on this tree. FWIW I usually prefer thread grafts to approach grafting. If not done correctly (approach grafts) their exit angle can look contrived and ugly. So much care needs to be taken.

It is no coincidence that my tree resembles that of WP's. I have used it (along with other sources of inspiration) to build this Sharps's pygmy. This type of tree form grows all around me. The single short trunk that divides into several sub trunks forming a wide rounded canopy. It's a very natural growth pattern. I classify it as an untraditional or naturalistic multi-trunk style. As opposed to the more traditional (and also very beautiful) Japanese kabudachi style where all trunks emerge evenly from soil level.

Thanks for the quick response Sergio!

No grafts! That makes understanding the developmental stages even more challenging! Thanks! haha

The maples that surround me here in Montreal are also predominantly in this general shape/style, so I like the label! naturalistic multi-trunk style!

Thank you!

Top Bottom