Acer palmatum sharp's pygmy [#07]

SilenceDogwood

Seedling
Reaction score
Sergio, beautiful tree and progression. I really like the blue Reiho pot with it as well. Have any photos earlier than 2013?

Your humble servant,
S. Dogwood

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I saw the same too, Brian and I'm sure @MACH5 will transition to finer branching in that area when the time is right. I look at this tree often - it's on the lock screen of my phone. I've got a small Sharp's Pygmy and they are a wonderful maple. Buds pop all over it and it's not really that vigorous yet. Can I ask you Serge what is the healing capacity of this species? Have you had to remove pinkie sized branches at all?

Hi Paul. The healing of scars on this cultivar is slower in my experience. They do heal but do take a while. Nowhere near as fast as a straight A. palmatum. They are generally not as vigorous either. However, with younger trees things may happen a lot quicker.

Something to watch out for is their density mainly because leaves grow on extremely small internodes. The dense canopy if not thinned out will surely killed all that's growing inside. Partial defoliation is something I need to do on this tree without fail if I want to encourage the development of smaller interior shoots.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio, beautiful tree and progression. I really like the blue Reiho pot with it as well. Have any photos earlier than 2013?

Your humble servant,
S. Dogwood

Thanks! Unfortunately I do not. It was only in 2011 when I joined this site that I decided to record the progress of my trees with good photography. A few members here like BVF inspired me to post good photos on my trees as they progressed. Before that time I rarely took any pictures if you can believe it.

BTW this was an EBay tree I got from Matt Smith in 2010.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is a beautiful tree Serg! . I like the photo and lightning used. Any plans on an updated 360 thing you did before.?
I'm also interested in the healing of large scars. Planning on removing an inch and half branch on my Sharp's.

Thanks Johnny! I would have to talk to Max (@barrosinc). He was the one who put it all together and I took all the photos. Its was a great deal of work that took several weeks to photograph without fail. It was a commitment! Perhaps at some point but so busy these days that unless I get some sort of help it may prove quite difficult to pull it off.

That branch that you will be removing will take a while I think. If you can let the tree run undisturbed even better. But it will heal. Make sure you cover the wound. My preference by far is to use standard cut paste for that size wound.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Have not updated this thread in well over a year. This maple went through some big edits last year which included a larger branch in the apex. I also air layered another large branch that was not needed anymore. The air layer took a long time but ultimately it was successful. I will use it as future graft stock.

Below is the maple today as it looked entering the new decade. 2020 marks the 10th year I've had this tree. I have learned much caring and working with it and has become an iconic tree in my garden. Looking forward to the next ten years!

Due to the heavier than usual pruning, I got a profusion of back budding which included the trunk. I am leaving many of these to develop into small branches to add additional detail to the overall design. They also could be used in future years to replace thicker branches.

One of my all time favorite trees indeed. Just gets nicer and nicer.

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Serigo, I've just gone through all 17 pages of your progress. The level of refinement you've achieved in just over a decade is amazing!

I can't help but notice that you have multiple (6?) branches emanating from the one location on the lower trunk, but very little inverse taper. Could this have something to do with that fact that there are no branches below this junction?

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hi Paul. The healing of scars on this cultivar is slower in my experience. They do heal but do take a while. Nowhere near as fast as a straight A. palmatum. They are generally not as vigorous either. However, with younger trees things may happen a lot quicker.

Something to watch out for is their density mainly because leaves grow on extremely small internodes. The dense canopy if not thinned out will surely killed all that's growing inside. Partial defoliation is something I need to do on this tree without fail if I want to encourage the development of smaller interior shoots.
Supposed I'm resurrecting this post for such an awesome tree. I had a question regarding defoliation of sharp's pygmy maples that are still in growth/development phase. Mine is pretty large already a dense canopy where some of the inside leaves/branches are being shaded out, however the leaves are still soft and shoots are still extending.

If my goal growth am I going to wait until it's done extending shoots/leaves harden off to begin defoliation? Not sure how quickly inner branches die off and if I have time to wait for it to finish it's spring growth first before I weaken it. thanks!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Finally an update on this tree. Have not posted one since January 2020! This maple has been through some changes. Not so much in design but more in improving its branch structure. After a rather aggressive repot in the spring of 2022, the tree declined and looked sickly and pale. I decided to place it under more shaded conditions and the color started to improve. By the second half of the season it was looking better and started fertilizing heavily with Osmocote to help strength it for the following year.

Although I typically wire and work my trees in late winter, I decided to leave this one alone to allow it to fully recover. In the spring it exploded with growth and allowed it for extend until now. Seeing it again so healthy and beautiful, I now have rekindled once more my love for this maple.

Below is the tree today. It was now time to thin out the dense canopy. Osmocote was applied once again this year.

IMG_3525 copy.jpg

Close up of the base. Notice the large wound from a large branch that I removed in 2021. Another year or so and it will be completely healed.

IMG_3526 copy.jpg

Here it is after about 2 hours of work. The difference is not so obvious but a large number of leaves had been removed. On this cultivar you take the two basal leaves off and then, if necessary, cut off one out of each pair as you go up the shoot. There are lots of smaller interior growth coming from the trunk that I would like to develop into branches, so it is important to try and keep them from dying back.

IMG_3543 copy.jpg

I have been slowly improving the overall structure by removing branches that look like this. Long, taper-less with only ramification at the ends. This one was at the back towards the top of the tree. Seeing how vigorous the tree is now, I have confidence that by cutting it back now it will activate latent buds further down.

IMG_3532 copy.jpg

IMG_3535 copy.jpg

Back in the garden placed in a rather sunny spot. This cultivar can take strong sunlight well.

IMG_3550 copy.jpg

I superimposed an image of the tree from back in 2013 over todays photo. I used the first right branch to register the two images. Notice how much wider the nebari has gotten even growing slowly in a pot all these years!

IMG_3543 copy 2A.jpg

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Happy New Year all!

Lots of strong growth resulted from the heavy dose of Osmocote that I applied earlier last year. As I am getting this tree back on track, I recently reworked it somewhat and now found the back of it had developed into a really nice new front. This is not uncommon and one must always reassess their own trees from time to time. I chose to not cut back much and many tips are still coarse. I want to keep the momentum going for this spring and then cut back more precisely after the first flush. Structural refinement pruning of the tips will happen after leaf fall this year.

The tree today.

IMG_5120 copy.jpg

IMG_5123 copy.jpg

IMG_5130 copy.jpg

IMG_5128 copy.jpg

Branch that was drastically cut back to improve its structure. Although the new buds that resulted remained dormant, they are set to open and develop in the spring.

IMG_5132 copy.jpg

As mentioned, many areas were purposely left uncut, leaving many shoots with three and four nodes to keep the tree's forward momentum. Later, these tips will be cut back for refinement.

IMG_5137 copy.jpg

Many fine shoots were left to develop further. The aim here is not to develop them as main branches but rather keep them small to add fine detail to the design and provide scale contrast with the larger primary branches.

IMG_5138 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good Sergio! I have a sharp's pygmy that will likely need similar treatment.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
wow, this tree is perfect. i love the natural style

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Happy New Year all!

Lots of strong growth resulted from the heavy dose of Osmocote that I applied earlier last year. As I am getting this tree back on track, I recently reworked it somewhat and now found the back of it had developed into a really nice new front. This is not uncommon and one must always reassess their own trees from time to time. I chose to not cut back much and many tips are still coarse. I want to keep the momentum going for this spring and then cut back more precisely after the first flush. Structural refinement pruning of the tips will happen after leaf fall this year.

The tree today.

View attachment 523051

View attachment 523052

View attachment 523053

View attachment 523054

Branch that was drastically cut back to improve its structure. Although the new buds that resulted remained dormant, they are set to open and develop in the spring.

View attachment 523055

As mentioned, many areas were purposely left uncut, leaving many shoots with three and four nodes to keep the tree's forward momentum. Later, these tips will be cut back for refinement.

View attachment 523060

Many fine shoots were left to develop further. The aim here is not to develop them as main branches but rather keep them small to add fine detail to the design and provide scale contrast with the larger primary branches.

View attachment 523061
What are you wrapping your wire with?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What are you wrapping your wire with?

For some bends I use floral tape which is a waxy type of tape and very easily applied to the wire. For more extreme bends I use strips of paper towels (not seen here). These wrappings allows you to keep the wire longer on the branches before it bites in.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the reply. I normally use paper towels but I'm not familiar with the floral tape method. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Dan. Do you mean reinvigorate it?
No, mostly shortening of long taper-less branches. I may still need to fertilize it a bit more before this though. I wouldn't say that it's weak, but the tree has slowed down nicely.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No, mostly shortening of long taper-less branches. I may still need to fertilize it a bit more before this though. I wouldn't say that it's weak, but the tree has slowed down nicely.

Dan, my suggestion with Sharps is crank it up a bit before you decide to cut back. I would do it after the first flush hardens off.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Great tree, Sergio. Pictures with details of the branches showing really nice refinement. I'm not familiar with this particular cultivar but I understand it could be challenging to work with some. Wrapping the wire is nice helpful technique.
Wishing you all the best in 2024.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tree, Sergio. Pictures with details of the branches showing really nice refinement. I'm not familiar with this particular cultivar but I understand it could be challenging to work with some. Wrapping the wire is nice helpful technique.
Wishing you all the best in 2024.

Thank you Maros, and all the same to you and family!

Sharps is probably one of the better dwarf cultivars for bonsai. Discovered by Jim Sharp in Oregon in the 80's. I started to see some nurseries in Europe selling it. Very short internodes, almost like shishigashira and gets just about as dense. And I'd say not quite as predictable in terms of back budding as regular palmatum. But then again a lot of these "fancy" cultivars tend to have their quirks.

Top Bottom