Aeroponics x-stream and JM cuttings

Sootys trees

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably a very well discussed topic amongst most members, especially those interested in propagating in my opinion one of the best species for bonsai and ornamental trees in general…

I just got an xstream aeroponic propagation system and I’m currently trying to root some Sango Kaku and little princess cuttings.

All cuttings where this years, hardened spring growth form very well trees that are pushing nicely, all from the upper parts of the tree with most auxins.

I used clonex at the base of the cutting and tried to include at least 1 node at the base, many had 2 nodes or where at a junction where two branches stemmed out.

IMG_7057.jpeg

I was reluctant to remove a large amount of leaves, I left most including the top shoots as well, only removing the lowest leaves so they wasn’t sitting in any water from daily misting or blocking light from any other cuttings…

I’m using one 18 inch sun blaster led light that is sitting in the groves of the lid on the propagator.

The reservoir is filled with tap water and a few tiny drips of bleach to help with any mold or parasites…

I’m running the pump and the light 24/7 and have been since the beginning (48 hours or so)

The temperature of the water is room temperature which is continuously 20 degrees C…

I mist when the leaves don’t have any moisture on them, but other than that it’s just a waiting game…

Being new to propagating I have lots of questions !

Obviously; 🙄 when do you think I’ll see callous or roots ? 😀

- does my set up or technique sound ok ?
- what’s the best additive I can mix into the reservoir water for faster root development ?

That’s it really, ill put some more pictures, but would also love to here any feedback if anyone is interested or knows any tips etc ?

Thanks ☺️

IMG_7059.jpeg

Also, I’m full aware the clonex has most likely been washed away, but I believe it obviously in the water reservoir and I did allow some time for the cuttings to soak in it.
So I guess it’s a waiting game and see if these things root…

Sango kaku and little princess are certainly species that can root from my research and they do make very nice looking bonsai or even garden trees, dreaming here obviously lol

Joe IMG_7060.jpegIMG_7058.jpeg

Nice setup... are the leaves handling the humidity? What other species do you have lined up?

Nice setup... are the leaves handling the humidity? What other species do you have lined up?
Thank you
The leaves look ok, misting daily sometimes 2-3 times has helped them. New growth is beginning to push from the base of the leaf stems so the they are slowly looking plants. There are also lots of bumps and callus on the stems.

I’ve some standard Japanese maple, purple maple, orange dream, shishigashira and phoenix maple to choose from for the next batch, but only 12 plugs so must pick the best shoots I can for cuttings. Also some Chinese elm that needs a trim and has some really long shoots…

it's too cold if you have to spray despite that dome, right? maybe a heat mat on at night.

Back
Top Bottom