Air Layering and Checking for Roots

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm trying to air layer my Japanese Maple tree and I want to check for roots. However, the person that helped me used black duck tape around the bag, so taking the tape off will tear the bag. FYI, please don't let the camera distract anyone. aIr layering.jpg

Last edited:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The quickest way to mess up an air layer is to check the roots. Leave it alone until it's time to separate. Aroynd here, layers are separated at the end of summer. At that time, the roots will be thicker and a little more resilient, but still pretty tender.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you located (generally)? If you're in a temperate climate with real winters you want to separate in time to give your new tree some time before winter. I always tried to separate at least six weeks before the anticipated first hard frost. As unpredictable as the weather is getting these days that can be hard to anticipate.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Why aren't they removed when leaves drop? Why do we mess around with roots from an air layer in summer but don't really do it in summer?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why aren't they removed when leaves drop? Why do we mess around with roots from an air layer in summer but don't really do it in summer?

It's ALL BS!

IMO!

Sorce

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my climate, we have what might be called a second growth period when the weather cools from the summer highs. This lasts from about early September through October. After the layer is separated, the roots aren't messed with at all, just placed into a pot. This gives the roots a chance to harden off before winter because the new roots (especially if done in plastic) are especially tender.

Top Bottom