Airlayers on Field Maple

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I had some airlayers on a large field maple that heavily calloused last year but did not take. Does anyone have any advice as to what to do with those this Spring? The tree is ready to lift out of the ground and place in a training pot and I'm wondering if it may be best to not bareroot the tree, place it in a 5 gallon container and give the layers another Spring/Summer to take and then transfer to a training pot next Spring.

Thanks for any advice!

jeff

Last edited:

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't know about the layers and what it will take to make them root.

It seems, though, that if you were going to wait another year to put it in a training pot anyway, you might as well leave it in the ground until then.

On the other hand, if you stress the roots by digging it now, it may cause the layer to try harder to root as a survival tactic.

Or, more likely, I don't really have a clue.:eek:....just thinking aloud.

What we really need is an experts opinion.:)

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
From my experience in air layering if it callused over, the gap wasn't wide enough or the media you used dried out and so did the wound. I had a red maple do the same thing. I believe the moss i used dried out in the sun.

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I just checked a field maple that I was air layering and it jumped the gap. Almost 1/2", the bark just grew over it!

I ringed it again but cut about 1.5" off this time. I'm pretty sure it will be ready in a few weeks! When you take it off, make sure you have roots first and if you can, put it in straight akadama (sifted). I have had 10/11 air layers survive in it this year. The one that I think is dead, had almost no roots! I should have left it on longer. It was also a red Jap maple and very weak to begin with.

Top Bottom