All aboard the Mugo train!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I just repotted my one dwarf mugo.
View attachment 248819
This is an oxide-wash Vicki Chamberlain pot. The soil is a small, homemade mix of the standard A-P-L, but I think this was a little heavy on the akadama. Screened sphagnum and green moss are the top dressing.

This tree has been a slow process… I’ve had it five years! You can see some recent years’ growth was a bit leggy and this year I’ve been overwatering it (long, wavy needles). Its current position in my yard and this pot both feel promising.

There’s still a lot of work to do. I’d like to get some well-placed buds along those leggy sections with which to shrink the canopy, but I also want it to thicken up a bit. I’ll just have to feed it well and let it run for a bit :)

2016:
View attachment 248820

Before root reduction: (ugh, this is a slightly better front position, about 5 degrees counterclockwise)
View attachment 248825

The current backside would also be a good front:
View attachment 248821

I didn’t want to do a cascade:
View attachment 248823

It’s now back on my hardy conifer bench:
View attachment 248824
I am aware that you did not ask for advice but I would like to provide my opinion on it anyway because I care about this specie of tree. You need to go through the tree and cut out all needles that are growing straight down as well as all buds and new little branches growing straight down. This will open up the interior of the tree to light which stimulates back budding. If you do not do this you will only have growth at the ends of the branches.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to go through the tree and cut out all needles that are growing straight down as well as all buds and new little branches growing straight down.
Yessir. I did that on the previous year’s branches. This year’s needles I haven’t yet touched.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This Mugo is the Pinus Mugo Montana (Enchinata) that I received as a gift from my Father in 1972.
Doesn't it make you a bit ansy (spelling) repotting this given its' heritage?
I know when it needs repotting, that doing so is better than not, but just lifting it from
the pot would make me anxious, and not in a good way. Going on 50 years post gifting.
I think it's the gift bond that would make me more anxious than the time bond. PRESSURE

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Doesn't it make you a bit ansy (spelling) repotting this given its' heritage?
I know when it needs repotting, that doing so is better than not, but just lifting it from
the pot would make me anxious, and not in a good way. Going on 50 years post gifting.
I think it's the gift bond that would make me more anxious than the time bond. PRESSURE
It could be said that this is what makes it so Americans do not do bonsai well. We have too many sentimental ties to our work. You're right, it is a hard task that never gets easier but it still must be done and the tree holds up well and has never so far given me a touch of trouble. I'm still not through working on the styling of the tree. I cut and wire and restyle and the tree keeps coming back, I think this year I may finish it.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First attempt with a mugo. Pinus Mugo nursery stock.

Planning to slip pot and no further injury within a year? Not sure which front is more suitable. Reverse taper is an issue.

Attachments

• 12D6AB64-DE09-48E2-99C1-2DD8E8C52451.jpeg
    12D6AB64-DE09-48E2-99C1-2DD8E8C52451.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 50
  • F0B5D49A-F5E0-49E5-8C5D-378FADCA8F1C.jpeg
    F0B5D49A-F5E0-49E5-8C5D-378FADCA8F1C.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 1D27ACAF-1389-4410-9185-4E7954885DA2.jpeg
    1D27ACAF-1389-4410-9185-4E7954885DA2.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DBB7A5AE-0854-42F2-99B2-6356E68DF1FB.jpeg
    DBB7A5AE-0854-42F2-99B2-6356E68DF1FB.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 67

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It could be said that this is what makes it so Americans do not do bonsai well. We have too many sentimental ties to our work. You're right, it is a hard task that never gets easier but it still must be done and the tree holds up well and has never so far given me a touch of trouble. I'm still not through working on the styling of the tree. I cut and wire and restyle and the tree keeps coming back, I think this year I may finish it.
As Doris Day said "I long to hear that -All aboard"
Best of luck travels through old memories as you complete the trip ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is the stuff from which antique Mugos grow----over time, and to use them to develop bonsai is not a sin. You may not win ribbons with them at the moment but that is probably not the purpose. I have always said: I do not necessarily want to own masterpiece bonsai I want to grow and develop masterpiece bonsai.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is the stuff from which antique Mugos grow----over time, and to use them to develop bonsai is not a sin. You may not win ribbons with them at the moment but that is probably not the purpose. I have always said: I do not necessarily want to own masterpiece bonsai I want to grow and develop masterpiece bonsai.
I have no idea how to proceed with a forest/multi trunk mugo, but wanted to remove stuff that would thieve energy
and get things going. There's more to remove on that one for sure, and a good wiring in its near future.
I will start with searching pictures of mugo forests and my knees will buckle with the time frame and exclaim "why did I do that".
The single trunk, well, I started reduction way up high, and had to go get some music to get my thinking cap on.
There'e a close bud behind the one branch. The whorl was a knuckle sandwich. Top needs to grow out to blend the transition.
I have never cut back so drastically, feel this one needs Mother Earth and a 12" tile. Deer safe?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...over time, and to use them to develop bonsai...
@Vance Wood how would you, proceed to develop and style the group?
I don’t think I want to have all trunks in harmony as there’s a couple with distinctive
unusual bends down low in opposite directions. The left one exits at soil level to the left and
rather straight for a stretch, but also malleable.

The center trunk is straight and I intentionally left the 3 way fork with the weak shoot
coming straight up at the crotch for replacing the 1st branch if that’s in the cards as a better option.
The 1st branch (to the right) is perhaps bigger and more foliage than the intended trunk line
to the left, then bring the little shoot down to replace the right branch that’s also sparse
and would take precious time to develop buds shoot branches back in closer to the trunk.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Technically you don't have a forest until you have multiple trees not one tree with many trunks. With a Mugo this is what is called a Krumholz, a single tree with multiple trunks. This is what you need to think on because you will not find this outside of Bjornholms work, specifically a Scots Pine from Spain.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Technically you don't have a forest until you have multiple trees not one tree with many trunks. With a Mugo this is what is called a Krumholz, a single tree with multiple trunks. This is what you need to think on because you will not find this outside of Bjornholms work, specifically a Scots Pine from Spain.
Thank you Vance. Multiple trunks yes. I have errantly used both terms together.
Krumholz aye? I will search that, and Bjornholms together in a search query.

@Paulpash beautiful Mugo!
All that work on the jin still left a distracting diamond like square shape to focus on.
I wonder why he did not remove the back jin?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
As far as I know I am about the only bonsaiist using the term Krumholz, in association with bonsai. However if you go through Youtube and search Bojrn Borhnholm bonsai demos you will find a demo by him and his friend Raffa Tores from Spain and a Scots Pine that takes on this form. Here is your model. It is a multi trunked Scots Pine that most people would have passed by which they turn into a really beautiful bonsai.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As far as I know I am about the only bonsaiist using the term Krumholz, in association with bonsai. However if you go through Youtube and search Bojrn Borhnholm bonsai demos you will find a demo by him and his friend Raffa Tores from Spain and a Scots Pine that takes on this form. Here is your model. It is a multi trunked Scots Pine that most people would have passed by which they turn into a really beautiful bonsai.
I believe the correct spelling is Krummholz synonymous with Krumholtz. Interesting German adjective.

Found it
Thanks for the idea Vance. I believe one big factor that helps me with this example
is that the trunks do not work in harmony as I suggested, however, the branches do.
Many bar branches on that one.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Krummholz translates quite literally into 'crooked (krumm) wood (holz)'. I find it a lot in books that describe the natural range of alpine / mountain trees, at least, if the books are European. It's a pretty common term.
I would love to hear an American pronounce it!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are we ready to accept "Bud Reinforcement"?

These pics are my befores.
I would like to see yours.

The most apical bud on this Mugo.
20190714_113715.jpg20190714_113704.jpg

A Fourfer now.

My prediction is in/by September, right before it gets cooler, the central bud will expand to 3, and two of the now smaller surrounding three will go twofer.

Doubling next spring growing tips.

Sorce

P.S. I have a long thing about this period...might have to be a video.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Losing track of these!

Musta bought this last year and potted it.
The cascader.20190714_154541.jpg20190714_154531.jpg

Ever since I been relying on that mid day hour water everything been growing roots out the basket. It been 90 lately.

Sorce

Top Bottom