Alpine Fir - Another Beat Up Old Thing

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, everyone for the feedback. The virts were especially inspiring, and based on those I've reconfigured the foliage a bit, seen below: It looks more tidy, a bit more sparse (always my preference), and a bit more like the growth habit of an Alpine fir.

Attachments

• A.Fir 12:14 Virt.jpg
    A.Fir 12:14 Virt.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 103

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Now that is a very Will tree, I very much like the changes. Makes a good tree a great tree.
Thanks for posting it here.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Now that is a very Will tree, I very much like the changes. Makes a good tree a great tree.
Thanks for posting it here.

Great tree and the fact you stuck with it long enough to turn it into something really worth while and beautiful is a testament to your stubborn ability. I think in the beginning a lot of people looked at the dead wood and were not sure your art could keep up with what appeared to be a rapid developing rot of the core of the tree. I am so glad you won. Beautiful tree, beautifully done, and another addition to exceptional bonsai that have now become examples of true American Bonsai.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, everyone.

Vance, your thoughts about my dogged stubbornness in sticking with this tree makes me think of Dan Robinson's influence on me. He always says, "Show me a great trunk, and I'll show you a great bonsai." He has also said something to this effect: "Foliage is just today's news, and branches are mere recent events - but a great trunk is history."

He also, of course, showed the wisdom of studying how trees grow, which led me to think the chances of this tree surviving were pretty good, and he instilled in me a deep love for the visual power of deadwood.

I would never have seen the potential in this tree without his influence, for which I am always grateful. And I am doubly grateful that the fruits of his influence have been so greatly appreciated by you all here. Thank you.

Will/G52

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks, everyone.

Vance, your thoughts about my dogged stubbornness in sticking with this tree makes me think of Dan Robinson's influence on me. He always says, "Show me a great trunk, and I'll show you a great bonsai." He has also said something to this effect: "Foliage is just today's news, and branches are mere recent events - but a great trunk is history."

He also, of course, showed the wisdom of studying how trees grow, which led me to think the chances of this tree surviving were pretty good, and he instilled in me a deep love for the visual power of deadwood.

I would never have seen the potential in this tree without his influence, for which I am always grateful. And I am doubly grateful that the fruits of his influence have been so greatly appreciated by you all here. Thank you.

Will/G52

As anyone knows around here that have crossed swords with me, I am slow to give up when I think I am right. You cannot be quick to give up if you ever desire to succeede at anything especially bonsai which is a long haul enterprise at best. Understanding that you have to resign yourself to accepting lack of response to something you may think wonderful.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While it still may develop into a good tree I thought it was much better AND had better possibilities as it was in the beginning. Before the air layer attempt. Good luck.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While it still may develop into a good tree I thought it was much better AND had better possibilities as it was in the beginning. Before the air layer attempt. Good luck.

Is that stuff legal down in your state?

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
You sure made a nice progression of this tree, itll only get better i suspect
Grtz

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm still trying to figure out how someone thought this had an air layer attempt along the line, maybe I missed something? Either way this is not easy material to work with and it is generally an accomplishment to make any kind of bonsai of it. You however have exceeded the norm in the department and produced a really spectacular bonsai worth pride and praise.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how someone thought this had an air layer attempt along the line, maybe I missed something? .

Grouper commented on a failed airlayer attempt back in his first posting about the tree

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks. I would appreciate it if people make references, especially old references, that they would link them or furnish them by quote.

Top Bottom