Another Shimpaku semi-bunjin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's doing fine. It was wired out last spring then allowed to grow all summer and fall. It had some mite issues, as usual, but seems to be almost recovered...it's actually a bit overgrown right now. When I get the time, I need to work it again, thinning it and wiring it. I'll post pics when I can...thanks for asking.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one finally got the it's haircut last week. After lots of contemplation, I decided to stand this one upright again. Even though I enjoyed the dynamic movement of this trunk set on a slant, the trunk has enough character and movement to hold it's own without being slanted...and burying that rats nest of roots is a huge improvement all by itself. It's a tad late for repotting down here, but I didn't remove a lot of roots and more or less slip potted it into a larger, deeper container. If it grows well this summer, I may try to wire it out this fall.

Attachments

• DSCF3251.jpg
    DSCF3251.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF3252.jpg
    DSCF3252.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 89

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
This one finally got the it's haircut last week. After lots of contemplation, I decided to stand this one upright again. Even though I enjoyed the dynamic movement of this trunk set on a slant, the trunk has enough character and movement to hold it's own without being slanted...and burying that rats nest of roots is a huge improvement all by itself. It's a tad late for repotting down here, but I didn't remove a lot of roots and more or less slip potted it into a larger, deeper container. If it grows well this summer, I may try to wire it out this fall.

looks really good. the new angle works great.

Ive always been drawn to trees slightly out of the mold, ie an oak shaped juniper. or a peach tree to look like a formal upright pine(my secret project)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
looks really good. the new angle works great.

Ive always been drawn to trees slightly out of the mold, ie an oak shaped juniper. or a peach tree to look like a formal upright pine(my secret project)

Thanks. I enjoy trees that are "different", too,....but I'm hoping this one ends up looking like juniper shaped juniper when I'm done;)....ok, maybe a pine shaped juniper:p.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave,

I like the new potting angle... except the first branch on the left looks too heavy.

I'm not the best stylist, I'm into techniques, so take my suggestion accordingly! LOL!!

But, I think I would jin the first branch on the left. I like the way those long thin branches cascade down from the canopy in the second photo of your last post. To me, those have more of a literati feel. And literati is all about feelings...

All the best,

Adair

I'm sure I'll see you at the show this weekend. I can't be there on Friday, Russell is bringing some of my trees to show. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave,

I like the new potting angle... except the first branch on the left looks too heavy.

I'm not the best stylist, I'm into techniques, so take my suggestion accordingly! LOL!!

But, I think I would jin the first branch on the left. I like the way those long thin branches cascade down from the canopy in the second photo of your last post. To me, those have more of a literati feel. And literati is all about feelings...

All the best,

Adair

I'm sure I'll see you at the show this weekend. I can't be there on Friday, Russell is bringing some of my trees to show. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

I'm glad you like the new angle, Adair. I thinned that left branch, but deliberately left more foliage there as I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I'm still on the fence about whether to keep it or jin it. I know the tree will look fine without it, but I still feel there is a design including that branch that will could make it more then a good tree. I'm going to work with it for now.

It'll be good to see you again this weekend. I'll be heading in this afternoon to help with set up and will be there for most of the weekend. See you there.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been slowly wiring out all my junipers this winter...with the emphasis on slowly. I started probably just after Thanksgiving and I'm still not done....I blame my job and the weather:rolleyes:. Anyway, I thought I'd post a "seasonal" image of this one.
IMG_0703.JPG

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Foliage looks lush and pretty :) Especially having had mites all year!!!
You deadwood looks good too. How many branches are wired? Really blends in well.

NEB's where I got my shimpaku '08. It is ready for its 2nd repot. 1st was a slip pot back into same green plastic pot it's in now, and came in.
Will completely change the looks of the tree potted up, can't wait.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks good! A good cleanup of the deadwood could help the appearance a lot

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
This looks nice and healthy. But it begs the question of what you want this to look like. Is it going to be literati? Too much foliage for that now. It looked best imo after the Shaner pruning. I love the tree's general style and wouldn’t want that to change. Just wondering if growing it out so much is counterproductive.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This looks nice and healthy. But it begs the question of what you want this to look like. Is it going to be literati? Too much foliage for that now. It looked best imo after the Shaner pruning. I love the tree's general style and wouldn’t want that to change. Just wondering if growing it out so much is counterproductive.
It's been re-potted into Boons mix a year or two and is growing out and regaining some strength. I suspect I'll keep it just full enough going forward that the label of literati won't be possible.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Oh well ok. I don’t know enough about maintaining junipers to offer any better advice I’m afraid.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Planning to prune a bit this week.

Beautiful tree! I’m trying to learn more about design, instead of actively ignoring it like I have previously. That said, I’d love to see the post-prune pic. It looks like it filled out some gaps nicely after the ‘Shaner styling’ (which I guess is completely different from a Shiner styling) and I’d like to see what you prune to bring back some negative space.

Also it appears that the trunk changed angle between repotting, what aspects were you trying to improve or accencutate with the change?

Thanks!

Top Bottom