Anyone interested in Chicago Yew Yamadori

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
lol...ok, a bit of wishful thinking temp wise...but at least things are opening up...like spring ;) Lakeview area.

At least tonight we don't have to worry about the watering ;)

@sorce and @fore did you ever had any luck with Craiglist? I answered some posts several times and never heard back...o_O

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least tonight we don't have to worry about the watering ;)

@sorce and @fore did you ever had any luck with Craiglist? I answered some posts several times and never heard back...o_O

Sometimes it's like that....

Sometimes the return email goes to the spam folder.

I've been "waiting in line" and got a call back when others no show.

My thing is.....
People always post "good" stuff....
But the stuff we want, the ratty elm, the hacked burning bush, the mulberry seedlings.....
They have those too!
But they thought no one wanted that stuff!

I go (when I can) and dig what was posted, but find better stuff too.

I've thrown out stuff as soon as I get home....But dug the experience....

Sorce

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Ok, these are the two from post 172, yews collected last spring. Shown on just completed display posts. Really taking off this spring. Plan on just to sit on these one more yr and repot next spring, style the following yr.

Attachments

• image-6.jpeg
    image-6.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 81
  • image-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 84

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Update on Yew 2. First pot up in Sara Raynor pot. I couldn't get it perfectly placed this time, but pretty close. The other one isn't ready.

Attachments

• 51165988317__1CFC379F-609B-4AA4-A8E0-393DB60FC386.JPG
    51165988317__1CFC379F-609B-4AA4-A8E0-393DB60FC386.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 75

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Update on Yew 2. First pot up in Sara Raynor pot. I couldn't get it perfectly placed this time, but pretty close. The other one isn't ready.

Fore the movement is fantastic! How is the tree back budding?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Some, but more new terminal buds at this point. I need to discuss this tree with Ryan as to where to split the hw and compress the design...next yr lol

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some, but more new terminal buds at this point. I need to discuss this tree with Ryan as to where to split the hw and compress the design...next yr lol

Ok, its been almost 2 years since the last update and I need to collect 2-3 yews in the next couple months.

So first, how are they doing now?

Second, in hindsight what would you do now that you didn’t do before?

Finally what would you recommend as the “best” method for collecting yews and then their aftercare?

This has been a great story to follow and an informative thread for that matter.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Great. One I styled the first time last yr., and the second to be done this yr. The only thing I'd say is to try to leave as much foliage as possible, planted in 100% pumice. Sun and water was the only aftercare. Started ferts after vigorous growth starts.

Good Luck
Chris

Top Bottom