Arakawa Maple

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like it. Looking at all the photos I would not cut it back at least for now. Your last photo (post 76) is to me your front give or take. However, if that is your front, it leans too much forward. You can simply correct this on your next repotting by tilting it back. Also as Bill mentioned earlier, tilting the tree just a bit to the right will make it more upright but it does not bother me as is.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
UPDATE:

This maple seemed to find the new pot agreeable, it responded with a ton of new growth. This is what it looked like yesterday:

DSC09963-1.jpg

Several hours later, some trimming, wire, and a few beers; this is what I ended up with:

DSC09965-1.jpg

DSC09970-1.jpg

Normally, I would have cut it back a little harder, but my club had a show today at the local library and I wanted to display it.

John

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks good, I like it. I like others think you nerd to be careful not to overwork it. Nice tree!

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
Looks good. Love Arakawas. I have a couple of them. Still waiting to see if they have any 'negatives' to them, because so far with mine I've found nothing I don't like with regards to beauty and ease of maintenance.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love your tree @Mellow Mullet and it's the first time I have read through this thread. I know you are keeping the double apex but I saw exactly the same line as @Brian Van Fleet's 3rd pic virt with it moving to the right as I was reading along.

Whichever way you choose I'm sure it'll be killer :). I'll be watching with interest as I bought some raw Arakawa stock and good luck.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I still think you can remove that left-side apex. I wouldn’t let it get any taller, but let it widen out.
View attachment 288956
I have been struggling with that removal, I almost cut it this year. I plan on trimming the top shorter, like the virt, in a week or so.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
13 days later, it needed a haircut. I reduce one of the competing apexes, I was not brave enough to completely remove it, we will see next season.

Before:
DSC02928-1.jpg

DSC02929-1.jpg

DSC02933-1.jpg

DSC02934-1.jpg

After:

DSC02938-1.jpg

DSC02943-1.jpg

DSC02948-1.jpg

DSC02950-1.jpg

I got a couple of nice cuttings from the reduction of the twin apex.

DSC02955-1.jpg

And a five gallon bucket on trimmings

DSC02954-1.jpg

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great taste in trees and the man drinks "the best beer in America since 1944" (says so right on the can!) in a tall boy no less! You Bama boys now how to live!
sounds like you need me to take you out on the town and show you what you have been missing beer wise, while pbr is a decent beer, beer has changed alot since 1944

Top Bottom