Arakawa Maple

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I was wondering about that too, it looks a little different in person, but the two apexes bother me also. I am, however too chicken to remove one of them. I wish I had time to drive to the 'Ham and let you look at it in person. I am gonna repot it later in the Spring, which looks like next month this year, maybe I can work up some guts. Which one do you think needs to go? Or maybe I need to take more pictures first, since these only show two angles.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was wondering about that too, it looks a little different in person, but the two apexes bother me also. I am, however too chicken to remove one of them. I wish I had time to drive to the 'Ham and let you look at it in person. I am gonna repot it later in the Spring, which looks like next month this year, maybe I can work up some guts. Which one do you think needs to go? Or maybe I need to take more pictures first, since these only show two angles.
Beautiful tree. Nice curves. These are so often so straight with abrupt turns that make them look awkward, but not this guy! I understand your apprehension in removing the double apex and possibly pi@@ing in the tree’s Wheaties so to speak. Best of luck with it, I’m sure you’ll make the right decision!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
From each angle you posted, I kept coming back to removing the more upright and letting the tree move to the right:
2261BB2D-7063-4F70-A2EC-17B2F734BE5A.png

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
From each angle you posted, I kept coming back to removing the more upright and letting the tree move to the right:
View attachment 224146
I'm with Brian on this. I've never worked an Arakawa so I can't comment from experience on how aggressive to be with the removal of the unwanted apex, but I suspect you could do it over 2 years while allowing the remaining apex to grow freely to gain strength. That's a sweet tree with wonderful movement, fwiw.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@MACH5 I saw that one too, but the third trunk section was so straight and taperless, I’d be afraid it would always be a problem. It’s funny how similar these Arawaka grow everywhere, with a bit of a hook, then run straight up. Mine, yours, MM.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 I saw that one too, but the third trunk section was so straight and taperless, I’d be afraid it would always be a problem. It’s funny how similar these Arawaka grow everywhere, with a bit of a hook, then run straight up. Mine, yours, MM.

Yes they sure do! It's part of their genetics. Same with kotohime with a straight-like growth habit. I do wonder if that straight section can be improved by shifting that angle slightly? We really should see more photos. I also like the one you chose but it appeared to me as moving away from us? Tough to tell.

Reaction score
Just to make the choice easier... I would like the double apex to stay. Let the lower branches thicken and catch up a bit more. The thicker branches / double apex adds age and it will be nicer to build a wider crown this way. Removing one of both decreases visual age significantly (on photo). Do you want to make a tree that stands out or do you follow mainstream? Always nice to see the doubt from the sideline, not the most comfortable place having to make the choice.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perfect, now just keep it tidied all year and prune growth for twigs. Looks awesome. Nice job!!

Top Bottom