Azalea contest 2020-2025

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Hack Yeah! @Mike Hennigan @KLSbonsai @Schmikah @BunjaeKorea
I just sent @sorce a request to update the rules. I figured since this is an opportunity to learn from each other it would be better to mod the rules and make it a bit less restrictive.

@Adair M
I'm sure you can find something that will catch your eye, but yeah those Encore azalea leaves are huge.

@JudyB @Brian Van Fleet
Interested in joining the contest? I know you both really dig azaleas. Your submission could help other members here to improve their skills working with azaleas.

Last edited:

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've yet to get an azalea so I'm excited for this.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've yet to get an azalea so I'm excited for this.

Come spring next year azaleas will be all over...you have plenty of time. Unless you want to go and scope out something now at a nursery?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Come spring next year azaleas will be all over...you have plenty of time. Unless you want to go and scope out something now at a nursery?
I want to find an orange one. Would go perfect with my smoke blue @sorce pot 5 years from now.

I'll probably wait till they start coming in spring. I don't even know where I'd get one this time of year. I'm just excited to try an azalea!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll probably wait till they start coming in spring. I don't even know where I'd get one this time of year

I reckon one could source material for a better part of 2 years and still win.

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I want to find an orange one. Would go perfect with my smoke blue @sorce pot 5 years from now.

I'll probably wait till they start coming in spring. I don't even know where I'd get one this time of year. I'm just excited to try an azalea!

So you're going to the dark side and mess with deciduous then...….

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So you're going to the dark side and mess with deciduous then...….
No, i wasn't planning to, the rules say evergreen......I feel like I'm missing something here.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No, i wasn't planning to, the rules say evergreen......I feel like I'm missing something here.

I had the rules updated, have a look. You won't find orange in evergreens though

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why? Satsukis come in orangish colors.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's two orange evergreen ones on one website, just looking through two letters of the alphabet.IMG_6891.JPGIMG_6892.JPG

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why? Satsukis come in orangish colors.

Peachy maybe, but not orange in evergreens. Evergreens have a range of white, red, pink, purple and a mix in between. Deciduous has yellow, orange, red, white, pink, pinkish purple and a mix in between. Neither produce a true blue, more a purplish blue.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ive got a few in small pots I got over the summer but haven't done anything with so this is perfect. Does it need to remain in a pot? or can I put it in the ground for a few years?273360
One Satsuki and I’m not sure of the other two.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What's the point of arguing about colors? I don't even know what will be available at the local places anyway. Would you rather me not look forward to your idea?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ive got a few in small pots I got over the summer but haven't done anything with so this is perfect. Does it need to remain in a pot? or can I put it in the ground for a few years?View attachment 273360
One Satsuki and I’m not sure of the other two.

….start in a pot and end in a pot

Top Bottom