Bald Cypress Seedlings

qbert

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and pretty new to the world on Bonsai. I recently came across ten bare rooted Bald Cypress seedlings. My only experience has been with Trident Maples thus far and I was curious if field growing/trunk chopping was the best method to get trunk taper with Bald Cypress. I'm looked for some material on Bald Cypress on the forum but have not have had much luck. Any general suggestions on getting the best results with this particular tree when it comes to taper?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where are you located? Update your profile and you will get better answers.

Welcome to B-Nut!!!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I used the forum's Advanced Search function and found four pages of posts on bald cypress.

But yes, field growing and careful trunk chopping will get you the best and fastest results.

When you say bare root seedlings, what do you mean? How large are they? Height and diameter?

And yes, where you live does matter.

qbert

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks. A little digging through the advanced search and there is plenty of material. Profile updated. I'm in the Austin, Texas area.

I donated $10 to become a member of the Arbor Day Foundation. In return, they send out either 10 bare rooted Live Oaks or Bald Cypress. They just shipped so I have yet to see diameter but I'm assuming they will be very small/very young trees that won't see much action for 5+ years. They shipped with no dirt or pot and just some gel around the roots to keep them alive for Fall shipping.

Thanks for comments

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They'll likely be about 2 feet long and some may have a diameter of 1/2 inch (or more at the base). That's the typical Arbor Day tree size. I'd plant them out in a raised bed and let them be for about 2 years -- at which time they may be 4-6 feet tall. They grow fast in the ground.

Top Bottom