BALD CYPRESS

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Sure, makes sense, I was just wondering with other people claiming they are having trouble getting branching, if you could redirect the energy to the branching buds....

The best option is to get a much as you can and this will drive the engine to produce more branching - so once the first flush is pushed and hardened at the end of spring defoliate the outer canopy(50%) and you will get a lot of new growth. I know people say to fully defoliate but I don't practice this technique as I like to keep the photosynthetic process going rather then the tree having to stop and use reserves to push the new growth.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The best option is to get a much as you can and this will drive the engine to produce more branching - so once the first flush is pushed and hardened at the end of spring defoliate the outer canopy(50%) and you will get a lot of new growth. I know people say to fully defoliate but I don't practice this technique as I like to keep the photosynthetic process going rather then the tree having to stop and use reserves to push the new growth.

This is what I did with mine producing many new branches.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zach, have you considered doing a post on your website on your techniques and timing for developing BC? It would be a great resource for folks who want to work with this species. One on collecting and initial care would also be great. Looking forward to receivoing my new BC from you in May/June—Larry
That's a great idea, Larry. Right now my wife is doing a complete revamp/upgrade to the site, and this would be a timely topic when we launch. Thanks for mentioning it.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Trimmed back, foliage thinned and new branches were wired down. Talking it one step further.

Have you been hanging around Ed Trout? He had a beautiful bald cypress featured on the cover of either the ABS or BCI journals some years back.

I like your implementation. It looks great.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Have you been hanging around Ed Trout? He had a beautiful bald cypress featured on the cover of either the ABS or BCI journals some years back.

I like your implementation. It looks great.

Thanks Bill! LOL no. I know of him of course but unfortunately have never met the master! Curious, was his also in the weeping style? I think this design looks best in winter. Definitely a departure from natural BC forms but there you have it.

Reactions: Vin

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I LOVE the second “controversial” apex. Adds great character and is unexpected. Like always though, your execution and photography are stellar.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bald cypress as it appeared coming out of autumn. It was defoliated once this year in late June and the subsequent growth was left to grow and then trimmed back.

The cypress after it was cleaned up and the next set of branches wired. It is progressing quite nicely!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Nice! I like that pot with this tree, looks cool

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure even Vivaldi could string up some "wire" as well as this......nice work!:cool:

Great image, lots of character and subtle nuance on the same palette....tough to do without looking contrived.:)

Can of Guinness in there would make it a masterpiece!!!;):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not sure even Vivaldi could string up some "wire" as well as this......nice work!:cool:

Great image, lots of character and subtle nuance on the same palette....tough to do without looking contrived.:)

Can of Guinness in there would make it a masterpiece!!!;):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A can of Guinness in the display?? Why that is genius! Why didn't I think of it!? :p:p:p

Rip

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your tree is very beautiful. I have a large Bald cypress that was dug up earlier in the year. Will grow out next season, then training.
Even more than your tree, your photography skills are wonderful! Are you a professional?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Your tree is very beautiful. I have a large Bald cypress that was dug up earlier in the year. Will grow out next season, then training.
Even more than your tree, your photography skills are wonderful! Are you a professional?

Thank you. I am not at all a professional. In fact, the equipment I posses would be the laughing stock of true professional photographers. But I have the basic equipment to get what I need.

Top Bottom